Finished Dificid - Now ahat?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sophie
Regular Contributor

Finished Dificid - Now ahat?

Postby sophie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:36 am

I'm scheduled to see my ID tomorrow.
In the meantime - should I continue taking probotics? My hospital doctor said to stop when the dificid stopped. That's not right is it???
Anything else I should be doing?
I have a long road to gettig back to normal.
Thanks.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Finished Dificid - Now ahat?

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:15 am

I don't think anybody on this board who were treated with meds such as Dificid stopped the probiotics when the treatment was done. Now is when your gut needs to be replenished with good bacteria the most. This is when you need the probiotics. Some posters can't tolerate probiotics, so they have to stop them. I still take probiotics and I had c-diff in Sept 2014. I don't take as many as I did in my first year of recovery, but I still keep the good bacteria going in there. :-)

Lisa

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:31 pm

So I learned this morning maybe i don't do well with Probiotics. All my medications were spaced apart and taken with anti-nausea medication.
This morning all I had to take was the probiotic. 10 minutes after taking it I was throwing up. Not a good sign.
Another question - after the medication was gone, did you feel great. I dont feel so well this morning.
Thanks.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:36 pm

I did not do well with probiotics. I tried several before I found one that agreed with me and even then, only took part of a capsule. What brand were you taking? Ask your ID if he/she can recommend one. My ID said Bio-K plus, but it gave me a lot of gas and looser stools, so I take VSL#3.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:48 am

Unfortunately you are learning that most of us don't miraculously feel great after c diff. Recovery can be very tough for many. I, and many others, had periods of nausea, post infectious (PI) IBS, food intolerances and generally felt crummy for various periods of time. I continued taking probiotics and still do 4 1/2 yrs later although lower doses than before. You have to find out which, if any, work for you but if possible it is good to build up your good gut flora again.
Be careful with diet during recovery and for ever how long it takes. Introduce new foods slowly but I would stick to a bland diet for a while and avoid dairy, fried foods, sweets, alcohol and heavy fiber. Your bm's don't look the same for a long time so don't get frightened.

I thought I would never feel really well again. I do. But it takes a while.
Best wishes for an easy recovery.
Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:23 am

I do not do well with probiotic either , i can tolerate a small ammount but if i take more then 1 pill i'll end up on the toilet , get bloated and gassy. The only probiotic that i could tolerate was Saccharomyces Boulardii because it's a yeast based probiotic , doesn't have bacteria , but after the FMT i couldn't tolerate it anymore so i just decided not to take anything and i feel better without.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:23 am

Thank you all for your responses. I'll see what the ID has to sy today.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Note to RIL (Rita)

Postby sophie » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:54 am

H Rita. thanks for your note. Waiting for an overnight transformation just doesn't seem to be in the stars. I know everyone is different, but how long has it taken people to start feeling better? The nausea is the worst for me. I take Hydrocodone when my back goes into major pain and I now find i can't take that without nausea medicine first. Sometimes the nausea just comes out of nowhere. I've been prescribed Ondansatron and Phenergan for nausea but I really don't like taking pills. Are there any suggestons for pain and for nausea??? Thanks for the note about normal stools.mine are still soft, not watery but soft. Right now I wonder if there is light at the end of any tunnel.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:04 pm

Oral pain meds have always made me vomit. I think toradol is more effective and it doesn't upset my stomach.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”