FMT questions

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT questions

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:39 am

I think the prep is going to get some of that bacteria out too. If you already have D, I doubt you will need to take as much of the laxative as they told you to originally. Good luck with the procedure and let us know how it goes.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:25 am

That was exactly my concern. GI still wants to move forward. I keep taking Tylenol per his instruction and my fever comes and goes. Never more than 99 since I started my prep.
I hope and pray this works. I honestly don't know how I would handle another relapse!

And yes Beth, last colon prep a year ago was much more volume. This time around after my first dose not very much but almost clear already... must be because of the diarrhea all day.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:42 pm

Just got back from my FMT. Was able to hold it for 1 1/2 hrs before 2 small bms. Then right now, 1 hour later a large bm. I hope that enough is still in there to work!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:18 am

You don't need to hold it in that long for it to work. Also, it coats the intestinal lining on its way out! Let us know how you feel tomorrow.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:01 am

Congrats for having done the FMT , praying that it will do the trick . Don't worry , 1 and 1/2 h is enough , some people could hold the slurry in for less then 1 h and still the procedure was successfull. Has the fever stopped?

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:25 am

The fever has subsided but I am still having frequent diarrhea despite the 4 Imodium. It's very similar to the colon prep where it comes out of nowhere and uncontrollable. Is this normal? Or should I take another I hopes to slow the bowels?

**update from on call doc** said to continue to monitor for now but to go to ER of fever returns with diarrhea/mucus.
Feeling pretty upset that the FMT might not have worked as my husband and I had to pay $3K OOP for it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:47 am

You could still be having D from the prep itself. Before I even heard of c diff, I had a colonoscopy and I had D for a couple of days after the procedure. My GI said it happens to some people. If the fever returns, then go to ER like the doctor said.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:48 am

Does your insurance not cover a colonoscopy? My doctor billed it out as such, because that is really what it is with just the added FMT part.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:49 pm

Beth, my insurance does cover the colonoscopy. However, my deductible and coinsurance are around 7K in a calendar year (and that's the best policy my work offers at 700 a month). Also, my doctor required a $1000 check made directly to him for the procedure itself as they do not bill the FMT. So in total, with the colonoscopy, FMT, and stool donation from open biome it was around 3K.
I'm praying I don't need another one cause quite frankly it's difficult to afford with a 6 month old baby!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon May 01, 2017 12:34 am

If you need more treatment, I would get Dificid before another FMT. You would hit your out of pocket cap with vanco or Dificid, so you might as well take the best med before you do another FMT. Hopefully it won't be necessary.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Mon May 01, 2017 6:19 am

Amyc, typically that would be correct, however, I work with hospitals contracted with CVS pharmacy so as long as I use them all my prescriptions are free. It does not affect my OOP at all.
I will see what the doc says I'm the morning as I am now back to having watery D with little to no control over it.

rachaelm
Brand New Poster

Postby rachaelm » Mon May 01, 2017 11:52 am

I'm sorry if i do this post completely wrong, I was using my phone to read all the rules and such.

I'm a 24F. I've been dealing with C-Diff for 7months now. I took two rounds of clindamycin, because I got mastitis from breastfeeding. Also, because I'm allergic to Amoxicillin. But in all honestly, I'd rather have hives than C-diff! I'll never take clindamycin again! I have been on vancomycin, and dificid, and now I'm having FMT next week. Just found out i'm pregnant. I'm so worried about carrying this baby, while having C-diff. I tried to search pregnancy in this group, but I'm not sure if I'm searching in the correct area? I'm glad my GI is going ahead with the FMT. But i guess I'm just looking for some support, or encouragement. I'm more scared now being pregnant. So, does this mean i'll relapse anytime I take another antibiotic? :(

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 01, 2017 1:53 pm

Zapper,

It took forever for my FMT to work. In the meantime, we went to England to see our son marry. Beautiful venue and ceremony and I barely got through it. I didn't feel better for weeks bit it eventually"kicked in."

Give it some time.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”