CDif Retested positive but no symptoms.

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
JAC
Brand New Poster

CDif Retested positive but no symptoms.

Postby JAC » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:52 am

Hi I am new. 64 year old female, healthy active and young for my age. I was treated for probable viral bronchitis with Amoxicillin. At 7 days developed severe diarrhea. I stopped the antibiotics but suffered with the diarrhea for two weeks before going back to the doctor. CDiff confirmed. I I was started on two different antibiotics, Flagael was one, not sure of the other and finished the 2 week course. The antibiotics stopped all symptoms within approx. 3 days. I waited a week after the antibiotics were completed to be rechecked. I had NO symptoms. None. My recheck test for CDiff was positive. The doctor ordered Vancomycin. I have NO symptoms. None. I do not want to take the Vanco. I have researched and even the Mayo clinic says not to retest as a cure and do not take additional antibiotics based only on a positive CDiff test if there are no symptoms.
I would like input on this from others that have had a positive re-check test but no symptoms. I am very afraid to set up a continual cycle of this. I am taking very good ProBiotics that I bought through a Naturalpathic MD. any advise and support would be appreciated.
Again symptom free, just the positive recheck at one week post antibiotic treatment. I am now 14 days post treatment and remain symptom free.
Thank you in advance.

roy
Administrator

Re: CDif Retested positive but no symptoms.

Postby roy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Thankfully you now know more about c.diff than your Dr!
Your correct that a test for cure should not be done and your a classic example why!
Treat the patient not the test.
If your Dr took the time to study c.diff he would know that you should not be treated.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:10 pm

I would hold on to the vanco prescription in case of relapse, but would probably hope for the best and not jump onto the vanco if I felt normal.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:19 am

First , I think you should change your doctor , he's knowledge about Cdiff seems limited. You shouldn't have been tested for Cdiff if you didn't have symptoms of a classic relapse : frequent D , fever , blood , pain. \Doctors should never treat patients based on test results .
Second , I made a wise decision not to treat if you are asymptomatic despite positive result , although you keep an eye on symptoms , if they go south and you start having uncontrollable D you jump on Vanco.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”