Diahrrea while taking DifcidI

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sophie
Regular Contributor

Diahrrea while taking DifcidI

Postby sophie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:26 pm

I was in the hospital for 5 days being treated for Diverticulitis and possible C-Diff. Based on the Cat scan my ID does not believe that was
my probem but had to treat it since stool test showed up positive.
I've been on Augmentin/Cipro for 7 days and will stop today (per Dr) as I've been hit with some diarrhea. Scares the heck out of me.
I still have 5 more days on Dificid.
Has anyone had diarrhea while taking Difficid??

Thanks

roy
Administrator

Re: Diahrrea while taking DifcidI

Postby roy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:29 pm

If you do have c.diff there's not much chance of it being cured by the remaining 5 days of dificid.
The treatment you have accepted over the last 7 days is totaly against recommended treatment for someone that has c.diff.
Even a first year medical student should know theres no point in giving dificid alongside cipro.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Roy, that's scary. My doctor really felt like she knew what she was doing. Based on the cat scan that was taken she's not convinced C-Diff was my problem. Time will tell. I'm just so sick of the whole thing.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:07 pm

I had C. diff between 2011 and 2013. Last year I consulted with an ID doctor when a dentist recommended clindamycin for 5 days. The ID doctor said that I should take vancomycin for 3 times as long as I took the clindamycin (15 days). This was just as for prophylaxis, to prevent a recurrence of C. diff. I did not take either of those antibiotics- took doxycycline instead. I guess in your situation the augnmentin/cipro was treatment for diverticulitis. I agree with Roy that if you do have C. diff you will probably need a much longer course of treatment with either dificid or vancomycin.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:22 pm

Thannks for your note. My ID doctor wants to test me today or tomorrow to see if C-Diff is still showing positive. I'm confused, I thought if i'm taking Dificid it might produce a false result. I'm so sick about the Cipro. When you're in the hospital and very sick, you tend to trust the doctors who are treating you.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:49 pm

Oh I am so sorry you had to be hospitalized for 5 days for diverticulitis. Cipro, amoxicillin and Dificid at the same time would probably wack your gut pretty hard. Hopefully the D will stop for you really quickly and you will feel much better soon!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:17 am

A test while on antibiotics is next to useless.
There's 2 reasons

1 Dificid should clear the active bacteria giving a negative test but the spores can not be detected.
You relapse a few days later when the spores germinate.
Because Cipro has been used this is highly likely, the good flora needed to mop up the spores has been decimated by it.

2 the test picks up lingering DNA or toxins and is positive but all the disease causing bacteria is gone.
That results in treating and can even contribute to a future relapse.

Only symptoms say if it's gone this close to treatment.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Re: Diahrrea while taking Difici

Postby sophie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:43 pm

Roy - thank you for the informaton; I appreciate the knowledge that you share with us. As I was given Cipro for diverticulosis treatment, is it a
given that C-Dif will continue or come back? I was taken off Cipro 6 days before i will complete Dificid. Part of my situation, is that although I tested positive before treatment started (and had some but not major diarrhea), after a cat scan was done, the doctors are more convinced my problem was diverticulitus not C-Diff but because of being in the hospital and having a positive C-diff test, it had to be addressed as well.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:30 pm

At best a Cat scan shows thickening of the colon wall if you have severe c.diff, Normaly it won't show anything at all.
A relapse is not definate but taking cipro if c.diff is confirmed is not good.
First rule of treating c.diff is to halt all antibiotics unless they are treating a life threatening disease.
It's a wait watch and worry scenario now.
Personally I would be suggesting the c.diff medication might be continued to at least 14 days after the cipro if I had it.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Roy - thank you again. I was thinking a similar thought about continuing the Dificid longer. I'll be in touch with my ID.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:19 pm

Hmm..I just spoke to my ID. I asked about possibly extending Dificid due to the CIPRO use at the start. Her words were, we don't do a second prescription of Dificid. You do the 10 days and once you're done, you're done.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”