Anyone have Diverticulitus and C-Diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sophie
Regular Contributor

Anyone have Diverticulitus and C-Diff?

Postby sophie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:44 am

Hi everyone,
I was scheduled for FMT this Tuesday morning but it didn't happen. I went to emergency last Sundy as I had a 13 episode day of D.
I was rehydrated and and had blood tests run and was going to be sent home, but I said no. There was pain under my left rib cage and I
had problem believing nothing was going on. ER dr said he could do a cat scan; i said yes please.
Turns out I had/have diverticulitus and between that and havng been diagnosed with C-Dff I was admitted for tretment.
I was very luck, the hospital dr. consulted with the Infectious dr regarding treatment. Originally I was put on Cipro and Flagyl but Flagyl
did me wrong and was switched to Amoxyclin (the horrible combo). A day later I was also getting oral liquid Vanco.
The infectious dr. reviewed the cat scan and said it clearly showed the diverticulitus but did not show C-Diff.
Although C-Diff was showing positive on stool test, she's not convinced I have a full blown case. She believes the attacks and D. I had
over the the last month where actually diverticulitus which acts with the same symptoms as C-D. However, as both were showing as issues she was going to treat for both and due to my recent problems with Flagyl and Vanco. The hospital dr. wanted to give me the Vanco (liquid pills) but the ID said, no that Dificid would be better since it kills C-Diff cells and spores. After dealing with the hospital doctor and their pharmacy, she w and that's what I'm on Anyone who can'afford that high price should pursue the coupon shown here as I received the $3800 for $50.
Anyhow now I have to finish treatments and hopefully it will be over. The ID says it is a wonderful drug and beleves this
should do the trick for me (she prescribes to patients at least twice a month. So now I nervously take my medicatio and watch and wait.
Has anyone else both C-Diff and Diverticulitus at the same time? P.S. - the thought was I would tolerate liquid Vanco better than the pills I had a problem with..I didn't, same horrible problems occured (just an aside comment)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Anyone have Diverticulitus and C-Diff?

Postby NanciT » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi Sophie

I believe we have had posters who have had both at the same time. For me, I started with Diverticulitis and probably got CDIFF after that but went a year without the MD's picking up on it.
It sounds like you have an excellent ID who is on top of things to give you Dificid right away. Although it does cost a lot, it's well worth it. Hopefully once you take the 10 days, that will be it and you will be on your way.
Hope you feel better soon!
NanciT

Pinecone
Regular User

Re: Anyone have Diverticulitus and C-Diff?

Postby Pinecone » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:16 am

Wow, what an ordeal! I'm glad you found doctors that took your health seriously. You did a great job advocating for yourself. I hear great things about dificid. The only negative I see brought up is the cost, and if I understand correctly, you got a really good coupon for it! Yay! At the very least, I think you can be confident that the c diff will be taken care of. Not very educated on diverticulitis, but I'm sure that'll work out okay too. Think positive!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”