Tips to survive the weekend? HELP

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sophie
Regular Contributor

Tips to survive the weekend? HELP

Postby sophie » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:37 am

Yesterday afternoon I did a stool test as my WD kept coming yesterday afternoon and it scared me.
This morning, so far, i have had one output that has not been watery but I'm sure it's just the start.
My dr. doesn't want me to do or take anything till the test results come in (will probably be Monday).
Any tips on how to survive the weekend if the WD starts again and gets bad.
Help please!!!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Tips to survive the weekend? HELP

Postby amyc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:47 am

Ask for a test you can submit to a lab that allows you to get your own results, or ask the doctor's office for which lab they use, call that company today to see if they report on weekends. Cdiff taught me to not use primary care doctor offices to submit lab samples. Maybe I was lucky, but there was a hospital near me that only had one lab, so they were always open and allowed outpatient testing at one door and tech/nurse drop off at another door.

But the company your doctor uses might let you call them on the weekend to get your results, so you can investigate that.

Otherwise, the advice is drink lots of fluids and rest as much as you can, and if you get really sick, go to the ER. Sorry. I learned that the hard way, and that's why I tend to ask for a test early in my symptoms if waiting is going to push me into a weekend. I just moved to a new state, so hopefully I can find a lab like I had at my old home.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:30 pm

If your D gets really bad, don't wait. Go to the ER and they can do a test and will get results in a few hours. With my last two recurrences, I started on meds before my test results came back due to severe symptoms. The Lab my doctor sent my samples off to took 2-4 days. I couldn't have waited that long. I would have ended up hospitalized. But people have different severity of symptoms. With my last Doctor change, I was instructed to utilize a particular local hospital for testing that provides results within a few hours. Why any of the doctors I saw previous to this one did not have me do that is just another example of the general ignorance about C Diff that exists... If your diarrhea continues and you wait, the most important thing is hydration.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:04 am

Agree , if you start having uncontrollable D you should not wait until monday , you should go straight to ER! If symptoms are tolerable , drink liquids , eat bland diet BRAT is the best choice and maybe some bone broth as it keeps you hydrated and also has calming effects on the gut.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Re: Tips to survive the weekend? - UPDATE

Postby sophie » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:20 am

My doctor just sent me a note that the stool sample came back as positive for C-Diff. Surprisingly I had a good day today,
no diarrhea and I actually feel better than I have in days. I'm sort of cnfused now. Start medication again or wait a bit longer, Thursday was the only day I had tthe D. back.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:52 pm

I would ask your doctor for advice. Maybe you cleared it on your own. I would advise filling the prescription so you have it on hand in case the D returns.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:08 pm

And ask the dr if you were positive for toxins or just for the presence of c diff.
If he got a phone report, he might have gotten a message rather than a full faxed result. I doubt it, but I would check to be sure.
Either way, in the absence of symptoms, I agree with Amy. Your body might have fought it off but you should have the meds on hand. Symptoms however should be treated not test results.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”