Possible to get C Diff after taking 1 pill?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
lmj
Brand New Poster

Possible to get C Diff after taking 1 pill?

Postby lmj » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:44 pm

Hey everyone,

I had to take literally one 500 mg doseage of azithromycin - so one pill. It was on Friday and I was fine. Now it's Sunday and I've had frequent bowel movements (about 8 today), but there isn't much volume to the BM, it's not watery, no foul odor and no weird color. There is a bit of stomach cramping, but it's not severe. No fever or anything. Worried it could still be C Diff, but I've been taking Florastor every day and took it the day I took the azithromycin.

Looking for anyone who might be able to help out.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Possible to get C Diff after taking 1 pill?

Postby georgina » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:29 am

Anything is possible when it comes to Cdiff , so yes , you can end up relapsing from one single dose of antibiotic or it can just be antibiotic associated diarrhea. The only way to know what you are dealing with is to get tested!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Possible to get C Diff after taking 1 pill?

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:37 am

I would lean more towards antibiotic associated diarrhea, but c-diff is always a possibility. Like Georgina said, the only way to know is to get tested, especially if the D isn't subsiding or getting worse.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”