What can you eat?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sophie
Regular Contributor

What can you eat?

Postby sophie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi I've been eating all soft foods since learning I had c-diff. I'm finished my medicaton and am now in the wait and see mode.
I had 3 small and soft/not watery outputs on Friday. Nothing yesterday and today I've had one soft//not watery output.
I learned last night that I can no longer eat eggs. I ate them a couple days last week then had indigeston afterwards. I've
never had that problem before. Last night it was bad (only had 2 scrambled eggs - nothing in them) and had horrible indigestion
and my sinuses started running. I've read online this probably means no more eggs for me.
What types of foods do others eat? I've been following BRAT type foods, eating something every couple hours but I'm worried i'm
getting very weak and losing weight without wanting to. Also is it okay to drink ensure to help get nutrition?
Any answers would be appreciated.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: What can you eat?

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:21 pm

If you tolerate Ensure, then that is a good idea. I could not. It used to give me D. Try baked chicken or turkey, baked potato, rice or if you like fish, that is also light. I used to make a vegetable soup that I would put in the blender and purree. Stay away from raw fruit and vegetables. Many can no longer tolerate dairy and some gluten. You will have to see what you can tolerate. Introduce new foods slowly, one at a time.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:39 am

See Nutrition under CDI all you need to know for more info:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=131

Roxanne
Regular User

Postby Roxanne » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:34 pm

I ate a lot of baby food first step. Couldn't handle solid food. Mashed potatoes to fill me up. Boost is good too, if you can handle it.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:24 am

You may have developed a allergy to eggs so maybe it's best to stay away from them for awhile .
White meat is very well tolerated by most people : baked , grilled or boiled chicken or turkey , you can also try toast , rice , baked potatoes , mash , chicken or vegetable soups , bananas , baked apples, peanut butter , grilled zucchini.

KLor
Contributor

Postby KLor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:50 pm

I have been following a low-FODMAP diet since c. diff, and that has helped tremendously with frequency/consistency/general feeling of wellness. FODMAPs are basically compounds in certain foods that ferment in the gut as they digest. For people with GI irritation, these foods can produce all sorts of nasty effects---C and D, gas, rumbling, cramping, etc. I have been on this diet for 2 months now, and the change has been dramatic. Monash University has a great guide (and even an app!) to this diet, but there's plenty of Google-able resources, as well. I also take IBGard, a peppermint oil supplement, 2 pills 3x daily and 2 digestive enzymes with every meal. This has helped a lot, as well, with keeping symptoms under control and helping my compromised GI tract digest food.

I hope something in there is helpful--take what you like and leave the rest! Take care.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”