Scared, should I wait or get tested

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sophie
Regular Contributor

Scared, should I wait or get tested

Postby sophie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi. I've been off Vanco since Sunday and was on Cephalexen for a couple days after (couldn't tolerate it, only 3 days).
This morning, I've had a couple loose outputs (last one 3 hours ago; not a lot but some, loose but not water). I'm scared, Vanco and I didn't get a long well at the end (I was in a daze and had discomfort in my
back). This was my first treatment with Vanco. HELP!!!!!

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: Scared, should I wait or get tested

Postby Musings » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:06 pm

It is not uncommon to have looser stools on and after being on vanco so would try to stick to the 3+ episodes of WD for 3+ days rule unless your symptoms go downhill quickly for determining if you're relapsing or not. Recommend sticking to a bland diet and adding new foods in slowly now that you're off vanco.

~Lauren

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Call your doctor to see what they think.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:16 pm

Are you still on the cephalexin? I agree with Amy. Call the doctor before the weekend and see what he/she recommends.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:59 pm

I'm off the Cephalexen (last day taken was Wednesday). My doctor is gone until Monday. I can talk to the Consulting Nurse but they don't seem to know much about how to handle this problem. My doctor's last words to me were if you have diarrhea or loose stools, we'll get you tested right away. Just not sure if it's soon to do that. My side hurts this afternoon but I haven't had any movement since 7:30 this morning. Also, I started drinking Kefer last night. Doing the 5 oz serving 3 times a day (have had 2 glasses this morning). Could this possibly be effecting me?

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:00 pm

I did call the consulting nurse yesterday morning and was told unless my bm's were watery diarrhea, not to worry. Wait until/if they are and
call back for instruction. Also said it was ok to drink lots of Kefir (I'm sticking to 5 oz/3 times daily).
Had no output yesterday. This morning I've had 2 outputs (soft but not watery and not a huge amount). One nice thing is there has be3en no
horirible this morning. I am weak and have dazed this morning. Anyone have similiar experence?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:59 pm

Kefir made my bms much looser when I drank it years ago and I know that some people can't tolerate it well or tolerate only small amounts. This could be part of the problem. Really, unless you test, there is no answer. See how you do and call your doctor this week.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Thanks Beth...i'm going to do that. Thanks for your note. Is a week long enough after doing Vanco?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:39 am

If you are not having WD, then I would try to wait at least 10 days or even 14, but with the PCR test, you can probably test sooner. Ask the doctor what type of test it is.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”