New Diagnosis

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
smkay68
Brand New Poster

New Diagnosis

Postby smkay68 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:53 pm

I was diagnosed with a severe case of C. Diff last month in the hospital after taking several rounds of antibiotics. I've since taken 2 rounds of Metronidozole and am starting the first of two rounds of Vanco today. I'm curious how many people were cured after Vanco compared with how many people had to get FMT's. I'm really hoping I do not need to have a transfer. The Metronidozole stops the symptoms but one week after completing the meds, I relapse. Thanks everyone.

roy
Administrator

Re: New Diagnosis

Postby roy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Have they told you why they are planing 2 rounds of vanco?
That's VERY unusual to plan that in advance!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:39 pm

Welcome to the site and please read the first forum for more information and rules about posting. Yes, there are many people who have been cured with vanco after having taken Flagyl. You can see some of their stories in the case histories or by typing in the search box. Hopefully, this will do it for you. Does the doctor want you to taper the vanco and get off of it slowly?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:18 pm

We have many on the site cured by Flagyl but also Vanco. I had the same thought, are you on a taper of Vanco? Many have done well with it. The other option if that were to fail is Dificid. Often this is what is tried before FMT. It depends on the patient, their symptoms and their GI. My Best advice is to have a GI on board who is familiar with CDIFF.
Hopefully this round of Vanco will work
Feel better soon
NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:16 am

Agree with Roy , that treatment plan is a bit unusual . Why planning second round of Vanco in advance? Does your doctor fear that you will fail the first round? Why not go straight to a vanco taper and pulse?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”