Flagyl questions: Mother with 1-month old baby who had appendicitis and now CDI

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
francis1
Brand New Poster

Flagyl questions: Mother with 1-month old baby who had appendicitis and now CDI

Postby francis1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:28 am

Hi Everyone:

I am a 30 year old female who just gave birth to a baby girl on 1/28/2017. Unfortunately, 2 weeks after the delivery (2/11/2017), I was diagnosed with appendicitis. The surgery did not go perfectly as the appendix perforated during the operation and I got a reinfection (fever 101.5) for which I was hospitalized for 3 days. During those 3 days, I received Flagyl and another antibiotic (I think it is Rocephin but not 100% sure). After I was discharged on 2/14/2017), the surgeon switched me to Augmentin which I took for another 5 days until 2/19/2017. I did not have a fever again but started having D (loose stools, never watery) 4-5 times a day.

I decided to go back to the surgeon on 2 weeks afterwards (2/27/2017) and told him about my symptoms. The surgeon requested lab work to be done while prescribing 3-days of 500mg Flagyl for me in case it is C Diff. I also started taking probiotics (Culturelle) on the same day. The case started improving a bit and I was only having Ds 3 times a day (still loose, never watery). The result came back on 3/3/2017 and I was tested positive for C Diff. I started taking Flagyl the night of 3/3/2017 so tonight marks the 3rd night for the Flagyl doses. Oddly enough, I am still having D 3 times a day and I just had a D right now that is more loose than before (almost watery) and the color is also unhealthier (my sincere apologies if this is TMI). I don't know if this is what I should expect from taking Flagyl for CDI but it seems to me that the case is not improving at all.

I am really hoping I could hear from some of you who have had experience with using Flagyl and see what my expectation should be for the remaining 4 days of my doses.
- I was thinking whether it is possible that either (1) all of the bacteria are getting killed off now which kicked me back to the original base or (2) C Diff in my stomach are so resilient that only the good bacteria are getting killed off.
- Could the fact that I am still having Ds be a potential indication that Flagyl is less effective for me since I received it during my hospitalization for appendicitis?

Thank you so much for all of your support!

Here's a quick timeline of my case:
1/28/2017: Baby was born
2/11/2017: Appendectomy
2/11/2017 - 2/14/2017: Flagyl and another antibiotic (maybe Rocephin; not 100% sure)
2/14/2017: Discharged from hospital
2/14/2017 - 2/19/2017: Augmentin; D 4-5 times a day
2/19/2017 - 2/26/2017: D 3-4 times a day
2/27/2017: Started taking probiotic (Culturelle); Surgeon prescribed Flagyl but did not start; D 3-4 times a day
3/3/2017: Positive C Diff PCR test; started taking Flagyl; D 3-4 times a day
3/6/2017: Stools more loose than before

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Flagyl questions: Mother with 1-month old baby who had appendicitis and now CDI

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:32 am

Welcome to the site and please read the first forum for more information and rules of posting. If I were you, I would contact the doctor and ask to be switched to vancomycin. If you tested positive while taking Flagyl, it may not be doing much good. Also, if you are breastfeeding your baby, vancomycin does not go systemic, while Flagyl does. That in itself should be a good enough reason for your doctor to switch you. Or you could request Dificid, which is also not systemic and targets only the c difficile, killing less good flora.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Flagyl questions: Mother with 1-month old baby who had appendicitis and now CDI

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:28 pm

I completely agree with Beth. I would definitely switch to vanco or dificid. In my opinion, it doesn't sound like the Flagyl is doing much good. Flagyl does kill off good bacteria as well. The most out of all treatments. Vanco kills less good bacteria, and as Beth said, Dificid targets on the c-diff, which is ideal. Also to note, culturelle is a live bacteria probiotic, so the Flagyl will be killing it off. Many on this site will space the live bacteria probiotics apart from the med by at least 2 hours. Many of us also found sacchromyces boulardii to be the most beneficial, as it's a yeast probiotic that is not killed off by meds. Florastor is a name brand yeast probiotic that many use on this site. My doctor recommended VSL-3 for a live bacteria probiotic. Many on this site take that one as well.

I am so sorry that you are going through this as a new mom. This has to be so stressful for you, especially having to go through surgery after having a baby. There are several new moms on this site who had c-diff postpardum, who I'm sure will chime in.

Hope you feel better soon.
Lisa

francis1
Brand New Poster

Postby francis1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:34 pm

Thank you so much Beth and Lisa for sharing your thoughts! I will definitely ask for Vanco or Dificid when I see my surgeon this Friday if my condition does not improve by that time. In fact, I have only had 1.5 bowel movements today and the stools are not as soft as before - I am really hoping this is the beginning sign of early recovery!

I also took Lisa's advice and got some Florastor - I was not able to find VSL-3 at CVS so I decided to give Florastor a shot first.

Thanks again Beth and Lisa!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”