Should I go to urgent care or wait to see a doctor?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Shaun3k
New User

Should I go to urgent care or wait to see a doctor?

Postby Shaun3k » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:57 pm

So my mom has C diff. She has had it for weeks and I have been caring for her some. It is not until her second hospital trip that we became aware that she had C diff and how contagious it is. So for a while she has had it and we weren't taking any special precautions at home. I don't feel real sick or have diarrhea but I had my first poop that came out all watery yesterday. Yesterday I felt like maybe I had a fever. My abdomen was warm. I checked my temperature a few hours later that night and it about 97. Watery poop is not a normal thing for me so it seemed likely I had c diff. I have not pooped since yesterday but my stomach has felt bubbly and I had some gas. It hasn't hurt and haven't had diarrhea or fever. I did start feeling last night like I could to go to the bathroom but I just stayed in bed.

Just now I tried to go again and nothing is really coming out but then again I haven't really ate today. I did pull something out with toilet paper after pushing. It was harder but not like my normal stools. Just a small piece. I did see blood on my toilet paper but I think maybe it was a small tear in my anus? Which I have had before when I push or maybe wipe too hard. The more I wiped the more blood I saw so I think I did have a tear in my anus so I am not sure if any came from the poop.

Just wondering if I don't have any serious symptoms right now if I need to go to urgent care? If I do have it I know I can be contagious. The earliest doctors appointment I could get was in 4 days on Friday.

Edit: I forgot to say I have not been to the hospital or been taking antibiotics. So not sure how likely it is to get it through someone in that scenario.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I go to urgent care or wait to see a doctor?

Postby Musings » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:12 pm

An admin should respond soon with the forum rules, etc.

As long as you have been washing your hands properly (after using the bathroom - especially if you share a bathroom), while preparing food, and before eating the chances of having a c.diff infection without antibiotics or a lowered immune system are fairly slim. One episode of watery diarrhea could be food/stress/stomach bug related but if you are concerned, you can go to an urgent care and request a stool sample be run.

The blood could be from an anal fissure and/or hemorrhoids. This is something your doctor should be able to check for easily.

~Lauren

Shaun3k
New User

Postby Shaun3k » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:57 pm

Sorry if I missed a rule. I was just really worried and looking for a website to ask. Thanks for the help. As of I think I will wait for my appointment.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:27 pm

I would wait for your appointment, but if you get worse or run a fever, then go to Urgent Care.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:44 am

The chances of caching Cdiff from other house members are minor especially since you haven't been on antibiotics or PPI's lately. I'm dealing with Cdiff since april 2015 and ever since it started I have shared the toilet with my husband , my mom , my dad and nobody got sick.One episode of D and some gas does not necessarily mean that you have active Cdiff , but do keep an eye on symptoms and if it gets worse , with frequent bouts of D and abdominal pain , fever , do go to the ER and ask to get tested.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”