Is this normal or do I call the doctor?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Benh
Contributor

Re: Is this normal or do I call the doctor?

Postby Benh » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:13 am

Ril, I think you are right. I have been having a decent amount of pain, like indigestion type, up high and some pain low but not much gas actually passes but I do feel bloated. I haven't been measuring the kefir but based on how many bottles I have been going through I think I am drinking about 28 ounces a day. For someone who never really ate yogurt or taken any probiotics that is likely too much and may be causing my pain - I am also a little constipated. I am just so anxious about another relapse I think I am loosing sight of moderation on the probiotic side of the equation. I will cut back kefir to 12-15 ounces, do two florastor, and one culturelle a day, does that sound reasonable? Thank you again.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:42 am

Probiotics are trial and error. Some people can't tolerate Florastor or other specific brands or various amounts. I am fine with it. You have to do a bit of experimenting. It is generally good to try to take Florastor (there is also a generic) and a bacterial probiotic such as Culturelle and drink some kefir or eat live culture yogurt but you'll have to see what and how much you can tolerate. Make sure to drink enough water. Too much probiotics won't necessarily cause constipation, usually gas and maybe d, but there are all weird things during recovery while your gut heals and regardless you need fluids to make sure the fiber you intake gets through your system.

Rita

Benh
Contributor

Postby Benh » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks, again Rita. I just measured out what 5oz of kefir looks like in a glass and I have been drinking more that double that. I will drop the kefir down and also increase the water intake, and maybe do florastor only once a day for a few days and see how I am doing with the pain and bloated feeling.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”