Drink Options

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cdaleguy
Contributor

Drink Options

Postby cdaleguy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:13 pm

Good evening everyone. I am so tired of drinking plain water and the one clear kind of Gatorade. (I try to stay away from dyes because they caused a freak out early in my c diff when I thought I was bleeding but it was dye.)

Any recommendations of what we can drink with a bit of flavor?

amg
Regular Contributor

Re: Drink Options

Postby amg » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Adding a little bit of fruit juice (just a little) to water shouldn't hurt. My daughter tolerates almond milk very well. We get the low sugar variety. It's very nutritious. Kefir. Herbal tea (decaf), iced or hot.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:59 pm

A variety of caffeine free teas should be fine. Peppermint tea can also help soothe an upset stomach. Any other suggestions that I can think of have color dyes like Vitamin Water Zero.

maxny1
Regular Contributor

Postby maxny1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:38 am

When I couldn't do any carbonation or caffeine, I drank lots of herbal tea. Celestial Seasonings Peppermint and Sleepytime, and Bigelow "I Love Lemon" are great, seemed to soothe my gut. I stayed away from gatorade, crystal light, etc- I read that artificial sweeteners are bad for C diff, and regular sports drinks have tons of sugar. And electrolytes are easily obtainable- salt, potassium, etc.

Also now I'm drinking Tazo Awake black tea and loose-leaf Sencha (green tea from Japan), two of my faves. Japanese green tea is supposed to have health benefits- high antioxidant content, lots of phytonutrients.

I also have a Sodastream, I mix the seltzer with Jarrow Pomegranate Juice Concentrate instead of the soda syrups. And I have an Omega Juicer, I make a green juice with Celery, Cucumber, Kale, Lettuce, Green Apples, Lemon, and Ginger. Actually tastes really refreshing.

Caffeine and carbonation (and probably raw green juice!) are not the best ideas with active CDI, but in remission I think a little is fine.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:52 am

I can drink chamomile , peppermint and ginger tea ,carrot and apple juice (homemade, not the one you buy in stores) and decaf coffee.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:59 am

I also drink chamomile and mint tea and I drink the Ocean Spray cranberry juice diluted with water.

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:28 pm

I drink the gingerade and lemonade GTS kombucha everyday. It's got probiotics and has a great taste.

lfh
Brand New Poster

Postby lfh » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:36 am

I've been drinking alot of Smart Water. After the amount of diarrhea I've had my GI was fairly impressed with how good my electrolytes were. I drink it plain, but you could put a splash of juice in there I'm sure.

Patw
Brand New Poster

Postby Patw » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:30 pm

Does It matter what flavor Kefir to drink? There are so mant flavored kinds and my doctor suggested I drink It every day but he doesnt know what kind? Are non caffinated teas ok... I assume no sugar. I wish doctors would provide you with a diet to follow when you are on a drug , tapering , and very sick.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi Patw and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for information for new posters.

I don't think it matters what flavor of kefir you drink, but start slowly. It doesn't agree with everyone. Chamomile and mint teas work for me, but there are other decaffeinated ones too. I also drink regular tea for breakfast. Cranberry juice always sat well with me too.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”