Traveling to India

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Sweet93
New User

Traveling to India

Postby Sweet93 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow I'm 1 week post-vanco and am planning on traveling to India in about two and a half weeks.

Recently I read this article: https://www.statnews.com/2017/01/12/nev ... resistant/

And I am absolutely terrified. Currently I'm drinking kefir and taking florastor twice a day. I plan to bring florastor with me, as well as kefir grains to make my own kefir while in India. However, I'm so scared of the possibility of getting a superbug while in India, or needing urgent medical care related to c diff. We'll be staying in a village in Punjab about 6 hours away from New Delhi, and the closest "city" is about 20 minutes away, and has a hospital.

My dad plans on getting a new filter for the water at our house. Last time I went we drank the filtered water without a problem, but then again, I didn't have c. diff then. I also plan to bring pepto bismol with me, and try to stick to bottled water (although my dad says even the bottled water there is questionable).

Does anyone have any advice? I feel fine now but my primary is insisting I see a gastroenterologist. Should I go see him and get his advice?

roy
Administrator

Re: Traveling to India

Postby roy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:09 pm

Water that's been boiled for several minutes and add a water purification tablet should be ok.
Don't use ice or eat anything raw.
Salad and fruit are washed in local water, ice is made from local water.
No soft drinks from draught pumps.
If a drink is brought to you already poured or in an opened bottle refuse it.
India is a wonderful country.
Enjoy

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:05 pm

I would see a GI and see what he or she has to say and perhaps ask for a Rx for vanco to take with you. I always took a bottle of vanco with me in the early days post c diff just in case I had a full blown relapse. Better safe than sorry.

Sweet93
New User

Postby Sweet93 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:19 pm

Just wanted to update this thread. Roy and Beth thank you so much for your advice! My trip turned out great, and I stuck with filtered, prepackaged water cups the whole time. I didn't eat any fruit and took advil/emergen-C whenever I felt like I was getting a fever or cold. I also took pepto-bismol whenever my stomach felt odd, and that definitely helped. Overall, it was a great visit!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:10 am

Glad it went well and that you did not get sick. I traveled when I had c difficile too and I dont' regret doing so.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:29 am

Glad everything went well and you had some fun. Life can be fun even after Cdiff!!

SDMom
New User

Postby SDMom » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:46 pm

I'm glad your trip went well! I'm going to Mexico in 4 weeks and am terrified that I won't be better by then. This gives me hope that I can still travel.
36yr old female, c diff from antibiotics, 2 wk round of Flagyl 03/20/2017

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:58 pm

I went to Mexico early on in my c diff story. I had just relapsed and was put on a second round of vancomycin. I went and had no problems, but I was on the meds.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:02 pm

I have also traveled right after c diff. It is scary but it worked out. Glad your did too and thanks for letting us know.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”