Should I stop all vitamins while being treated for C-Diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
MonicaS
Brand New Poster

Should I stop all vitamins while being treated for C-Diff?

Postby MonicaS » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:15 pm

My hubby tells me less is best while starting RX for C-diff. Should I stop all vitamins?

roy
Administrator

Re: Should I stop all vitamins while being treated for C-Dif

Postby roy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:49 pm

I would put them (and probiotics) in the "can't hurt might help" catagory.
Unless your taking mega doses.
Can you elaborate on your c.diff diagnosis and treatment plan.

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi MonicaS, welcome to the group no one wants to join. I took multivitamins later in my c Diff battle. I kept it simple, then would slowly introduce things every few days to see how my body reacted. Think we chatted on another support group. There's tons of great info on here. Here's some helpful links that further discuss what we chatted about:

List of abx "safety"
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=636

Probiotics
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12310

Nutrition and recipes, brat diet etc. think it mentions vitamins in it possibly?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12310

These links are to the CDI forum, if you'd like to look in there and see if there's anything else that would be helpful to you.
Michelle

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:27 pm

Hi Monica. Welcome to the site. Please read the the first thread on the home page on Rules for Posting.

As Roy said, you really gave no information about your illness or treatment. It is your right to share only what you choose, but generally when one joins the site they give some information so when they have questions we can better answer because we know their circumstances.

Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:05 am

Vitamins are ok to take but like Roy said do not overdo it. Vit C in doses that are higher then 250 mg / day sends me to the toilet immediately. Many Cdiff sufferer are deficient in Vit D and B12 and we have to take those indefinitely. I actually had to take B 12 shots and i was ok GI wise after them , they improved the cronic fatigue and the lack of appetite , and Vit D helped stop my hair from falling in handfuls.

AnaRenee
Brand New Poster

Postby AnaRenee » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:04 am

I'm 54. I have been seeing my Dr. for 4 years and am on my 2nd round of Flagyl for my 1st bout of C-diff, so I'm pretty new at this but I'll tell you what my Dr. said.

I had already been put on BP meds, Lo-dose aspirin, vitamine D & Alendronate for osteoporosis, but I was also supplementing w/ a prenatal vitamine, glucosamine chondroitin (joints), Co-Q10 (heart), milk thistle (liver cleanse), Vit C - I think that's it. Anyway, her recommendation was to continue the BP meds & Alendronate for sure bc they are absolutely necessary, and to see how I do on the vit D and the milk thistle bc I really wanted to continue those two as well. She asked me to hold off on the others until I was well - or having a much more normal BM.

Makes sense to me to rest our digestive systems when we need to if we can, but like with my osteoporosis, Vit D is just as important to me as my Alendronate. Likewise,with all these drugs I'm taking I want to help my liver out a bit with Milk Thistle. Listen to your gut (HA!) & do what's right for your specific body needs. Good luck!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:25 am

Hi
Welcome to the site , sorry you are dealing with Cdiff. Hopefully the Flagyl course does the trick , 70% of people get well from the first round of meds so hoping you are among the lucky majority.
The only thing that I know for sure that gets absorbed only in the intestines is the Alendronic acid ,the rest of your meds are absorbed directly into the stomach. Of course you need Vit d , not only for osteoporosis but for your entire system especially after Cdiff , most of the Cdiff-ers are left with vit D deficiency. Carefull though with high doses of Vit C as they can give you D and upset stomach.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:58 pm

With me, I stopped vitamins with active c-diff and for a little while after. The only reason why I did is because vitamins irritate my gut on an empty stomach. When I had c-diff, I suffered from extreme nausea and ate very little. The thought of taking vitamins in that state made me sick. So, I think it depends on if you can tolerate them or not. However, when I was feeling better and into recovery for a bit, I did add vitamins back. It's good to get a complete bloodwork done after this ordeal is over to see if you are deficient in anything. After an infection like c-diff, you can be left with deficiencies that can cause their own symptoms. I was deficient in vitamin D, so I added that supplement. It's also important to boost your immune system back up through diet and supplements.

vagas123
Brand New Poster

Re: Should I stop all vitamins while being treated for C-Diff?

Postby vagas123 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:56 am

Hello!

can anyone suggest me some multivitamins for weight gain and for the gym?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:29 am

HelloVegas123 Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

You have posted your question on and old thread so some may not see it. You can repost it on a NEW thread to get more responses.

CDIFF takes time for the GUT to recover. Not having any history on you, if its been months and you are better with GI symptoms gone ask your PCP when you can return to your regular schedule.

On the site we usually ask how a person is feeling once they are recovered from this and slowly return to "normal"

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:52 pm

Have you had c.diff?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”