I was wondering

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: I was wondering

Postby NanciT » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:32 am

From your previous note are you still scheduled for the colonoscopy? You have nearly tapered off the Vanco? As far as pain, the GI needs to know about it. Have you had a CT? With pain that is keeping you up at night, you need to put a call into the GI and explain this. If you are not able to talk with the doctor, please ask to speak with the nurse and explain your pain.
I also had pain throughout CDIFF but everything was checked out before coming up with the diagnosis of post IBS. I was given hycosamine( LEVSIN) for the IBS which helped a great deal, I also took VSL#3.

It sounds like you have difficulty with your GI, if that continues, consider finding another. I also had to change GI's twice throughout my CDIFF ordeal. It can be very frustrating because you are feeling terrible.
NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:21 am

I would ask your doctor about switching you to Dificid. Honestly, I would not want to keep taking something that gave me red man syndrome.

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:49 pm

I finish this Thursday with my taper I was wondering is it normal to have d close to the end of a taper?

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:53 pm

Yes I'm still scheduled for both an upper and lower GI unfortunately now the d is back with vengeance. I'm so tired and worn out from this I was fine all day til this evening then it hit me fast and hard. Is this normal this close to the end of a taper?

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:44 pm

No, that isn't normal. Please get in touch with your doctor ASAP.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:21 am

If you have full blown Cdiff symptoms before FMt you should definitely contact your doctor and ask to revise your dosage , if you have relapsed on the low dosage of vanco it needs to be raised again to a proper dosage that can control your symptoms. Do not go ahead with FMT if you have pathogen flora active again , otherwise the FMT can fail.

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:46 am

Well it took me two days to get ahold of my doctor and when I did get ahold of her I got yelled at for being to proactive about my health. Anyone know a good gasteroenterologist that isn't at Saint Louis University? I live an hr almost from Saint Louis and so far I haven't been able to locate another Dr. Basically what they told me was to not call anymore and go to ER and get rechecked for it. Which I totally understand that however I'm not sure why I got yelled at for being proactive about my health. Super frustrated anyone with advice would be great

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:23 pm

I was wondering if getting an upper and lower GI can cause cdiff after being recovered from it? I'm really scared about it I have to get one day after tomorrow and I've either had sever constapation or diarrhea then back to constapation for a few days it switches between the two and has since I last posted I finished the vanco back in November and they post poned my upper and lower GI until now because my stomach has been giving me a lot of grief I also get almost like a severe heart burn sensation going on and massive pressure. I feel it all day every day it gets way worse during my period which I was told wasn't common that ibs normally happens before you start rather than when you start and for a week after you stop. Is there anything I can do?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:30 am

Alternations between D and C usually means IBS. What do you mean by "upper and lower GI"? Is it a upper-lower FMT?
I won't go trough FMT if my Cdiff has been cured , even after FMt it will be very hard to recover. If you feel that Cdiff still lingers I would suggest you do a test first to make sure you have the active infection and I would start meds before the procedure. Doing the procedure without being prepped with meds and a cleanse decreases the success rate.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:08 am

I am interpreting this to mean that you are getting an upper endoscopy to see what is going on in your stomach and duodenum and also a colonoscopy. I had several upper endoscopies done post c diff with no problem. There is no laxative prep for that. I also had endoscopic ultrasound, which goes way deeper to see the pancreas and I had no problem. I have not had a colonoscopy though and there would be the problem with the laxative prep washing out your good flora. Some posters have had colonoscopies post c diff with no problem. A couple relapsed, but who knows if they would have relapsed anyway.

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:27 pm

Update: as you know I was diagnosed last year with c diff. I got off the Vanco last November and am happy to say that I've been c diff free since then. It took me up until two months ago for my system to get back to almost normal I still have a lot of food intolerances and I've got my good days and bad days. My worst days seem to be right around my period my system just goes AWOL then within 48 hours of stopping basically back to normal. Only been going once a day which started about 2 months ago. Occasionally I'll have a day here or there where I go twice a day but not very often. I didn't pass it on to my now 5 year old and I have been without sex since I ended up in ICU with cdiff last year. I had major heart complications from the cdiff it sent me into sudden cardiac arrest. My heart rate went from 84 bpm to 164 in under a second flat luckily for me there was a nurse in my room that save my life. After coming home I had a lot of issues with my stomach there was so much I couldn't eat anymore. Mainly sweets, beef, pork, anything fried so I had to switch my diet a lot I cut out fatty foods and most sugar I also cut pork out and beef now I basically live on chicken and fish with certain veggies. I can only eat peas carrots green beans and potatoes otherwise my stomach hates me within 24-48 hours. I'm still debating on weather or not to have sex because I'm scared that I'll get it again granted all my tests have came back normal and no cdiff anymore however I do know the spores can live for up to two years on surfaces. My doctor says sex is fine however two days before I ended up in ICU with cdiff I had had sex. I'm due to be married in March of this coming year to my best friend. I have not gotten an upper or lower GI but I'm supposed to get one soon we put it off for a while so I could heal some. When I initially got sick I weighed about 103 lbs I lost 12 lbs when I got sick in a matter of days I mean it didn't take long. I still take probiotics every day and I eat 3 yogurts a day still my doctor says that won't change for a while but I'm completely okay with that.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:52 pm

If your doctor says sex is ok, then go for it. However, I would stay away from oral sex. You don't need to risk getting or passing along spores.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:42 am

I agree with Beth :-) oral sex is off my menu, permanently. As long as your fiancé isn't experiencing an active C. diff infection I can't see any problem. It might relieve some stress and help you guys get back to normal, or a new normal. Good luck on your continued recovery!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:05 am

There is no need to avoid sex if you feel up to it.

hoverup
New User

Postby hoverup » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:19 pm

I was wondering if a zpack would cause cdiff? Or if it’s a safer drug to use? I had cdiff for 6 months and have been free of it since December 2016 the road to recovery has been very rough my immune system has been banked all this time colds flus and bacterial infections are far easier to get but I stick to a strong regimen of a gram of florastor and three yogurts a day. My gi dr says I’ll never be off the regimen though I have stayed in the habit of bleaching everything down in my house I still worry I will contract it again. My son currently is sick with streptococcus A and they want to give him a zpack. I have had every cold and every flu that’s went around in the last two years. Being sick for 6 months or more out of the year is horrible. Any suggestions on what I can do to help boost my immune system? I’ve been taking 1,000 mg vit c a day as well as sambuscus lozenges with zinc 2 times a day. It really helps shorten the colds however it goes away for a week and comes back sometimes I get a two week break but I haven’t been that lucky this year yet.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”