Vanco not working - Toddler

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Whammy
New User

Re: Vanco not working - Toddler

Postby Whammy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:49 am

Good Morning,

We've had five days of formed stool, just by adjusting his diet. We spoke with the ID yesterday and were advised to stop the vanco completely. Hopefully his movements will continue to be "normal."

We did have a little scare yesterday where we thought we saw blood in his diaper, but now think it was just watermelon that he ate earlier in the day. One of the symptoms of Toddlers Diarrhea is chunks of undigested food passing through. If that isn't it, we are going to change from Lactaid milk to soy milk to see if its possible the milk is aggravating his system. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that before this all started we were having trouble transitioning him from formula to cow milk, He was fussy, gassy and had bouts of D. Since we started the Lactaid last Friday, he hasn't been fussy, but plenty gassy. Hopefully it was just watermelon, if not we will continue to adjust his diet. We find it hard to believe that if it is blood, that it would be caused by a c-diff infection since he has had 6 weeks of constant D with no blood, but at this point nothing would surprise us.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:18 am

It sounds like things are improving with the new diet. Thank God. Wishing your little one continued improvement after stopping the vanco. I pray that this c diff ordeal is behind you for good now!

maxny2
New User

Postby maxny2 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:09 pm

roy wrote:
>toddlers carry c.diff as part of their normal flora and it does not cause a disease. They rid themselves of it by 2yo.

What about 3 year kids? Not finding much info. Sorry to use quote feature but I don't know how else to bump this.

My almost-3 year-old has had the signs for 8 days now. Keep hoping it will stop on its own. I'm taking her to pediatrician today, at least for a pediatric GI referral.

I had active CDI in Sept 2016 and Dec 2016, but wasn't in physical contact with my daughter during those active bouts, until symptoms had been gone for ~2 weeks.

But I realize she still could have become a carrier from me, although she had no D or GI problems until 9 days after she'd visited my grandfather in a nursing home over thanksgiving (not my idea, better to take him out every day, but I was overridden).

So is there any point in having her tested?

Are there any tests yet that can distinguish between carrier and active infection?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:19 pm

This is an old thread, you may not get Reponses, you may want to post a new thread. I would see the pediatrician and explain our concerns. I would also probably test if there is no other reason for the D and it depends on how much D, diet, flu, fever, etc

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:36 pm

I am locking this thread as is not only old but it also reached it's limit.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”