WD 3 days .. 5 months post meds

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hledgess
Regular Contributor

WD 3 days .. 5 months post meds

Postby hledgess » Fri May 27, 2016 9:37 am

I'm on day three of stomach pain and cramps and WD .. My dr just says to double my questran since its no longer working at one packet a day. Being how I feel I would feel better testing as its been days . What would all of you do ? I didn't take the medicine yesterday and if I don't today I could go to prompt care and test tomorrow ..
Has anyone had WD as pi ibs for so many days ? Or does this sound like I should've tested

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: WD 3 days .. 5 months post meds

Postby amyc » Fri May 27, 2016 9:55 am

I don't think questran would effect a PCR test so you could get tested today. Call a hospital lab and talk to a tech, but I have tested while on colestipol (very similar to questran) and they said it wouldn't mask the PCR since it tests for DNA not the toxin.

gwang
Regular Contributor

Postby gwang » Fri May 27, 2016 9:57 am

Amy I'm pretty sure the PCR tests the DNA of txb, not just diff,

But I could be wrong.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Fri May 27, 2016 10:04 am

The dr has said to be off of it for two days before testing just in case..

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri May 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Hiedgess and Gwang, I had also been told that you must be off questran for a few (I thought 3) days for an accurate result.
I know the dr said 2, but if you want to be really conservative you can also call either the lab you are going to or a local hospital lab and ask them.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Rita

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Fri May 27, 2016 9:59 pm

Yea I was really only off of it one day I guess but I called the lab and they said that wasn't in the drug list .. Idk I'm waiting right now .. My dr had told me it leaves your system the first time you have a bm.. So hopefully it's accurate ..

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Fri May 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Titleholder told you to wait 3 days? Mine only told me wait a couple days after I tested once a few months ago and forgot I had taken it the day before and asked if it had any affect and Bc he wasn't completely sure he said yea sure wait two days but a different dr that I followed up with was kind of rude and said do you not know how this medicine works?! N explained it left the body with the keel movement .. So I hope it's negative and a real negative since I took it on Wednesday

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat May 28, 2016 9:27 am

If the dr said 2 days and the lab said no problem, follow those guidelines. I said I was told you had to wait and "a few" and "I thought" because I was not sure so advised you to call the lab to confirm. No medical advice given here and I would not override a dr's directions, especially when I am not positive!

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sat May 28, 2016 12:02 pm

It was negative so idk what's going on but I'm relieved!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat May 28, 2016 12:20 pm

That's good news. If it continues, I would ask to be tested for other pathogens as well a parasites. I had campylobacter after c diff and the symptoms were very similar. Others had e-coli and salmonella. A few got parasites. Also, some posters got gluten intolerant after c diff and others, like me, could not tolerate dairy products.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat May 28, 2016 2:50 pm

Congrats on the negative! Did you feel better the day you were off questran? Copious watery D sounds like a virus or some other kind of pathogen. Have you gone camping lately? Giardiasis has the symptoms you are describing.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun May 29, 2016 12:43 am

So glad your test was negative!! Agree with Liz and Amy , if your symptomes continue ask to be tested for parasites and a culture for other pathogens or maybe a breath test for SIBO.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sun May 29, 2016 12:47 am

Any-
No def not better off the questran .. Was worst day ever lol.. Took it yesterday after I tested .. Better today although no bm lol I can't win haha.. Um I did go to starved rock .. Hiking in the woods for hours.. I felt bad two days later..

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sun May 29, 2016 12:50 am

Georgina
I actually had a SIBO breath test last month n it was negative .. I've had D most my adult life after my gallbladder was out.. Never had D with c diff strangely enough but I had other weird things like pain and just not hungry ever .. I think I tend to forget ppl do get D and I always had D.. But since my last two bouts with c diff it scares me

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sun May 29, 2016 8:43 am

Congrats on the negative test! At least you know it's definitely not c diff causing these issues. If you have ruled out all other GI issues/IBD's, then you must just have terrible PI-IBS, which also stinks. But, at least it's not c-diff!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”