How long did you wait to stop bleaching so much

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hledgess
Regular Contributor

How long did you wait to stop bleaching so much

Postby hledgess » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:19 am

Hi I have tested negative and feeling better..however I am still worried because I have kids using the same bathroom..how long did everyone who us better wait to stop bleaching the toilet after each bm?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: How long did you wait to stop bleaching so much

Postby georgina » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:55 am

I was a bleach crazy before , i was bleaching everything that could be bleached , i would even bleach the husband :) ,however i've slowed down bleaching everything when the diarreah stopped and just stick to the toilet bowl.I am bleaching the toilet bowl after BM , but i was doing that before CDiff as well.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:04 pm

I would continue to bleach the toilet bowl area after every BM until you are a few months out in recovery. I always bleached the bowl, prior to c-diff, just not after every BM. Now I still wipe down the bowl with the Clorox germicidal wipes every other day, and do a good bleach cleaning once a week. I'm 14 months out. With me, it's become a habit with the Clorox germicidal wipes.

Lisa

ppp67
Regular Contributor

Postby ppp67 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:08 pm

well.....

I bleached my clothes once and regretted the results so I never did it again.
Was that unsanitary? No one else got sick.
Never thought of bleaching the toilet every time.
I just had a reservation for myself and gave it a good wash with bleach post CDIFF.
It was a normal washing though. Washed with bleach once a week, every week.

What I did stress a lot though for everyone was frequent hand washing with soap and water.
Especially before eating. Don't use bleach for that.

It's funny really. The whole social perception.
When you are on medication and symptoms have cleared up, no D whatsoever, you are actually not a threat to others.
But everyone shuns you and insists on strict cleanliness.
Then, once the meds are done, you are considered clean and welcomed back.
Just in time for a CDIFF relapse (if only they really knew what it's like).

Just an observation.
Again.... teach the kids to wash hands all the time with soap and running water.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:17 pm

I also am an OCD hand washer. I have a 4 year old, and I insist on proper hand washing, especially before meals.

I never bleached my clothes, even during active c-diff. I wasn't going to ruin everything. I did wash my clothes separately, but that is all that I did.

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:14 pm

During active infection I only bleached the toilet, after each BM. Once I was "in the clear" I bleached the bathroom once s week (and still do now-I am 6 months out).

I never did bleach anything else, wash my clothes seperatly, etc...maybe I should have. I know most people do. But I lived in a one bedroom apartment with my husband, we shared the one bathroom we have and he never got sick. I really think proper hand washing is the most important weapon we have in not spreading the infection. Just my personal opinion :)

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Here is a great tip - buy towels,
wash clothes and undies all in white. Bleach and hot water do not ruin. Cuts down on worry, work, and expense of replacing ruined items.

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:48 am

Most of my towels are white and I bleach all my undies anyway..

Shel33
New User

Postby Shel33 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:59 pm

Did you all also wash all of your bedding every week? It gets pricey for someone with low income. I’ve spent A LOT of money on laundry and wondering if it’s nevessary to wash all my bedding every week (sheets, multiple blankets and 2 comforters). I’ve also often bleached coats and sneakers, washed hair brush, lotion containers, and anything touched often with soap and water. I’m one month out and hoping to slow down bleaching slightly... I’ve been doing the whole house every week for the most part...I’m super OCD and it’s honestly depressing for me to bleach everything repeatedly. I’m trying to find an appropriate balance. Wondering if it’s safe to just bleach the toilet daily at this point or if I need to keep doing everything—keyboards, mice, fridge handles, door knobs, kitchen sink and floor, entire bathroom.... etc. Also, I’ve repeatedly asked my roommate to close the toilet when she flushed but she still forgets regularly... I have been bleaching after every bm for the most part so hoping it’s fine.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:19 pm

You are bleaching too much, and unnecessarily. C. diff is transmitted by "ingesting" the spores, so you'd have to touch your mouth or nose with a hand that was contaminated by coming into contact with stool. The spores are not airborne; otherwise, the entire population would be infected with it. Your best preventive measure is to wash hands thoroughly, with soap and water, after use of bathroom and before handling/preparing food. If you can break yourself of the bleaching habit, your anxiety will diminish. Right now you're caught in a vicious circle of feeding the anxiety by giving into the compulsion to bleach everything constantly.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”