Gamma globulin infusion for c-dif

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Gamma globulin infusion for c-dif

Postby Bobbie » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:58 pm

Barbj,

The info is correct. I tried it. You leave your name and a nurse will call you back. Again the info is in the forum CDI- National Jewish,

JoElizabeth
Regular Contributor

Postby JoElizabeth » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:01 am

Hello all and Happy Holidays!!

Hello Barbj..I am the person who takes IVIG (Intravenous Immunoglobulins.) After a wicked few months of c.diff in 2011, (in remission via Dificid) I was found to have a Primary Immunodeficiency and have taken IVIG every 3-4 weeks since then.

My ID doctor believes that IVIG may be of some benefit in c.diff, particularly in severe/refractory cases. There is, however, very little in the literature to support this.

With that said, if IVIG is available to you, it might be worth a try. I know I would have tried it at the time if Dificid hadn't worked. IVIG can have some side effects but I just took mine today (it's an IV plasma product that takes a few hours) and I am feeling fine. I've had 3 years of treatments without any complications and they have kept me free from infections.

I do think that your BEST option, based on the literature, would be FMT via colonoscopy and that is what I will do if/when I relapse.

I know how miserable you are feeling, believe me. You will get over this eventually. It's great that you have appointments lined up soon and a few very good options to choose from.

Much luck to you! Please message me if you have any questions about IVIG.

Jo

JoElizabeth
Regular Contributor

Postby JoElizabeth » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:12 am

...actually, I just realized that you didn't mention Dificid. Has your doctor mentioned this drug? Many here, myself included, were helped by it when Vanco was ineffective. If I were you, I would definitely ask about trying it even before IVIG or FMT.

Good luck!

Jo

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”