Ingrown toenail

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Ingrown toenail

Postby Ashley20 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:32 pm

I have a painful ingrown toenail, how would i know if its infected? I was thinking of going to get a pedicure, would they know how to fix it or would that possibly make it worse? The bone around my toe hurts, and i dont know if its from the nail or if its a nerve, i couldn't sleep last night from the pain and anxiety. :/

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Ingrown toenail

Postby Bobbie » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:14 pm

Ashley,
This is not a medical site. Contact your doctor.
C diff makes everything worse and we know this BUT you need someone to LOOK at the nail.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Hi bobbie, i went to urgent care and the doctor says she doesn't think my nail is ingrown but i do have some mild swelling around the same area it hurts. She wants me to take keflex, in case its infected. I told her im not so sure about that. She referred me to a podiatrist, which my insurance doesn't cover :/ i really hope its just a sprain or a ligament and not an infection. I also went to get a pedicure, the pedicurist said she didnt see an ingrown toenail and that she didn't think i had an infection. I had never felt so uncomfortable, i did not enjoy my pedicure at all, i wanted to run home and shower. Cdiff has turned me into an absolute germaphobe...so sad.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:22 pm

Ashley - You need to see a podiatrist, as that is the only person who would know what's going on with your toe.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:04 pm

Well finally got to see my doctor today and got an xray of my toe...good news is there is no infection and no sprain. Doctor says i don't even have an ingrown toenail. So checking me for gout :/ good thing i didnt take the Kefkex the urgent care doc prescribed

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:17 am

Glad for your good news.Kfex, my A....!

Be careful where you get manicures and pedicures.Some places do not keep their instruments clean.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:22 am

Bobbie, i was terrified at the nail salon. It was actually my first pedicure. I hated the whole experience. I was the only one in there that could not relax...lol. the chairs were massage chairs and i was so stiff i wouldn't let my back touch the chair. The girl next to me was pregnant and she told me she was a nurse. I was like well i hope you dont get antibiotics during your delivery. She asked me why, did you get cdiff during your delivery. I was like, "yes, i did" and its horrible! She said its very common and not a big deal. I wanted to scream :/ i dont think i will be going back for a pedicure again. Oh and the lady asked me if i wanted a manicure cause my hands looked awfully dry...i said no thank you, im just going to go home and wash them like a million times anyways. I really hate the doctors at urgent care units and how they prescribe antibiotics without a care in the world...it hurts everyone at the end because more bacterias are becoming resistant.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:43 am

My daughter had an ingrown toe nail when she was young, with pus, etc. I took her to the pediatrician and she did not prescribe antibiotics. She said the best cure was to soak the food in very warm salt water several times a day and apply an antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin in between. It worked very well and she never needed antibiotics. I have done this myself when I have had redness and swelling around a toe. Antibiotics should be a last resort. Good thing you listened to your own feelings and did not do what the doctor told you to do in this case. It is because of such overprescribing that we are all members of this site. C diff would probably never have gotten to be the superbug that it is if doctors had not overprescribed antibiotics.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”