Best doctor

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cjohns
New User

Best doctor

Postby cjohns » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:20 am

I had Cdiff back in June which I caught from a case of diverticulitis>cipro>flagyl. Took vancomycin for two weeks and am now c diff free. I had a colonoscopy ran and nothing was found but IBS and diverticulosis. I have had many issues with referred pain and back problems. I went and seen a neuro surgeon he wasn't able to find anything wrong with my back other than a bulging disc. I'm still having pain in my abdomen and back. What type of doctor would I go to next? Infectious disease doctor? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Best doctor

Postby NanciT » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:56 am

If you want a second opinion I would see another GI. I also am Post CDIFF but nearly out a year, I still have IBS which causes me pain in the abdomen and back pain on and off.
I was in the ER 3 wks ago when they pain was terrible and had a CT done, all was clear and they told me it was IBS and it can get very diffiuclt to deal with.
I have been watching what I eat and continue to take probiotics, how is your diet? Are you on probiotcs?

My CDIFF started exactly like yours, I was in the hospital 2 years ago with Diverticulitis and was treated over and over with CIPRO( too much) and months later had CDIFF. I also had a colonoscopy and was told I had a small area of Diverticulosis and IBS. I was on treatment for CDIFF for 10 months, could not get rid of it so I attribute my long term IBS to the amount of treatment I was on.

This can be recovery, it takes time to heal.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:35 pm

I have had long-term IBS after every treatment for c diff. Not fun but better than c diff! Symptoms are similar. If you have been off meds for awhile, ask for PCR culture to make sure.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:50 pm

How long have you been cdiff free bobbie?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:08 am

I had c diff from 1993 until l997? My second bout was in 1999, and my third many years later in 2012. All were connected to antibiotics. My younger son had c diff in 1979 when he was 4. He was the youngest and one of the first people to take Oral Vanco - before that time, it was an IV drug only.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”