UTI

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ashley20
Regular Contributor

UTI

Postby Ashley20 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:56 pm

So i been off flagyl for a month now and have had no D. I now think i have a UTI...never used to get those before. The urgent care sent the urine out to get cultured and if i have to take antibiotic...which should i take? I been drinking tons of water but haven't tried the cranberry...please help

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: UTI

Postby Bobbie » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:34 pm

Macrobid is a lesser offender if you are not allergic to it. See CDI - Antibiotics. I have taken it for years without a problem - 50 mg at bedtime as a preventative. Bea has the same problem.

See CDI - UTI's. Drink, drink water. Cranberry juice helps some - so does a natural product called D. Mannoose - purchase online or from any health food store.

Good luck.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:48 pm

Thank you Bobbie, hopefully the culture comes back negative. I also turned in my first stool sample today...collecting it was nerve wrecking. I have a strong feeling that if it comes back positive the GI wants to treat it even without the D. I dont think he's the best doctor to help me with the cdiff.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Wow...i bought a cranberry juice that has no sugar and it tastes sour! Hopefully it will help more since its just cranberry juice concentrate and water. Hoping the acid from the juice doesn't hurt my tummy.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:52 pm

Cranberry juice with no sugar added is disgusting but is the only one that has any efficacy towards preventing/treating uti. Right after cdiff I thought I had a uti all the time..it was so irritated down there for some reason. Was the rapid test positive?

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:00 pm

Yes...the initial test was positive, is the culture test different?

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Postby zinnia1 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:17 pm

just a quick fyi: I felt like I was getting a UTI last weekend while traveling for my mo-in-laws funeral….Up all night peeing.( I think it was the no sleep, caffeine in migraine meds, little water..) I keep macrobid w/me at all times when traveling, but having had cdiff four mos ago I wasn't sure I wanted to just take it. I was not in a situation where I could get a test. I didn't have the azo standard pills I usually have, but my daughter had the azo w/cranberry. I will never take again! They caused very loose stools, which I combatted w/immodium as I had to get to funeral service . Crazy. Later I read that cranberry can cause that for SOME people and the azo w/cranberry also has a lot of probiotics which clearly irritated MY gut. If I had been home and close to bathroom would have ok w/it all, but bad timing this time- very remote. That all said, I did take one macrobid, but things all seemed to be subsiding so I didn't continue. I understand it is not much of a culprit. My daughter has taken three days of cipro for a uti which freaked me out as she had cdiff ten years ago. But she was fine. Drinking a lot of water is a good idea. Unfortunatley I find cranberry acts as an irritant for my bladder as well.

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:23 pm

I also echo Zinnia's experience. I drank a bottle of cranberry juice without added sugar 3 days prior to FMT and 2 days before I had several loose stools and even temperature (I eve thought I was no longer able to do FMT!). I believe the natural juice/fruit sugar upset my stomach. No I don't drink the juice anymore but take two gummies a day of a supplement thst has cramberry and D Mannose (can share the name tomorrow if you are interested).

Hopefully your culture comes back negative!

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:33 pm

It all depends on if it was a clean catch or not. I've had cultures come back with lots of different bacteria meaning i did not get a clean catch after having a negative rapid test. Also had a slightly positive test and a negative culture. It also depends on how many colony units are found in the culture. My doctor won't treat under 100000 units. Hopefully it will come back with low count or one that can be treated with macrobid. I took macrobid and did not relapse :)

zinnia1
Regular Contributor

Postby zinnia1 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:32 am

sevia- does the d mannose gummy cause you any bowel issues?

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:00 pm

The culture came back negative for a UTI but positive for strep b...just like when i was pregnant. The strep b during pregnancy is why they gave me the clindamycin. Should i be worried about still testing positive for strep b?

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:02 am

Ashley - Copied your post into this thread, as you have two threads for UTI's going at the same time. It gets confusing to mods and posters. :-)

Postby Ashley20 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:14 am

Urgent care called back and said my culture came back positive for strep b...im 5 months postpartum and had atrep b when pregnant. Why would i still have strep b? The NP didnt really explain much, he didnt mention treatment either. Should i be worried? My symptoms come and go...but i do think i have a UTI caused by this strep b. Anyone else ever had a strep b uti when not pregnant and how did you treat it?

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:03 am

Hi Ashley - So sorry you are dealing with this issue now. I really don't know anything about Strep B and how it causes UTI's. However, I did a quick google, and it says that Strep B can be treated with vanco for people who are allergic to penicillin. I know nothing about this, but if you need to be treated, maybe ask your doctor if you can treat with vanco, if I understand correctly that this is what you have? Here is a link:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/229091-treatment

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:40 am

You will probably always have group b strep. I do. I carry it. I had it come back in my urine at 50000 units and the nurse practitioner treated with macrobid..however my urologist said he wouldn't have treated it unless it was over 100000 because it was probably just a contaminant.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:10 am

Susan, were you having symptoms? Did the macrobid clear the uti?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”