Bathing baby

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Bathing baby

Postby Ashley20 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:45 pm

I know most moms here dont have babies with Cdiff but are there any who did and could give me any advice on how to bathe baby. I have not got many answers from his Pediatrician and would like to know if i could be doing something different as to not keep reinfecting my baby or myself. I been trying to contact an ID pediatric but they will not give me advice until he gets in for an appt. He is only 5 months old so shower is not an option.

roy
Administrator

Re: Bathing baby

Postby roy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:23 am

No differently to any other baby.
Most moms are bathing a baby who is carrying c.diff.
Theres little or no risk to either of you.
Just wash your hands after like anyone else should be doing as normal.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:34 am

Thnks, i have become very obsessed with hand washing...my hands are so dry. My baby always has his hands in his mouth...i try to wash his hands in the sink at least once a day...and wash them real good during baths. Really hope its enough

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:35 pm

Use disposable globes whenever you can - for instance, when cleaning the bathroom - and reduce the wear and tear on your hands.

You are doing more than you need to do about hygiene. Give yourself a break and let up a little. See CDI - Hygiene.

When my then four year old developed c diff in 1979, no one else In our family got it. When I developed it many years later, no one else in the family got it. Back then, little was known about the "catchiness" of the disease and patients were not isolated in hospitals.

You and your baby will be OK.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:32 am

Thank you Bobbie...i actually think the bleach fumes are making me sicker than the cdiff. My eyes are burning and i can smell the clorox on my hair and on my nose all day. I already had issues with OCD before this and most people called me a neat freak but now its become quite unbearable. I was reading a post today from another girl who got cdiff after having twins and spending 30 days in the hospital...her babies were also tested and came back positive for cdiff but the pediatrician did not treat them. I guess Roy is right, a good doctor would not treat a baby unless it was very sick. I have read alot of your posts and i am about your sons age...i am 39 years old. I had never heard of Cdiff before, i can only imagine how scary that must have been...if doctors seem clueless now a days, i cant imagine how it was in 1979. My father died at 50 years old from stomach cancer in 1999 , he had H pylori and to me that was the only bacteria i ever knew about that could cause harm in your gut. I really appreciate this forum and reading all your posts, it has helped me through some really bad days and kept me somewhat calm , thnks

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:52 pm

Ashley,
Your baby is too young to get C. Diff. Most babies carry C Diff until somewhere between 1 to 2 years old, by which time it will be eliminated from their system naturally. This is totally normal. The reason the baby is too young is because the colon has not developed the site receptors for the bacteria to "latch on" (for lack of a better description) and cause infection. Practice good hygiene, change diapers on a washable surface that can be bleached regularly--get those bleach wipes off of Amazon (the REAL Clorox wipes--hospital grade). [Just in case the baby is a carrier--which will not last forever...like I said.]

I had C diff postpartum and had the same concerns...I was fortunate to be in contact with one of the foremost experts in the country on C Diff research, who explained this to me and quelled my fears.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:04 pm

Thank you...good to know, doctors explain so little about cdiff. Hard to believe anything they say when they cant agree. The GI pediatrician told me the same thing. Did you go as far as bleaching any of babys clothes or blankets. I always throw away soiled items, which hasvonly happened once.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:31 am

Don't think I would use bleach on blankets or baby's clothes - unless they were soiled with feces.

Glad the site is helpful. Yes, my son's c diff was a nightmare - few knew much about it. And they didn't know much more when I had it in 1993-1997 and 1999.. We still need more public awareness.

Here's to a quick recovery for you soon.

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:28 pm

My clothes and bedding and the towels--I bleached what I could, otherwise, no. And not the babies items. I just started washing everything more frequently than I would have before. It's been a good thing. I'm not a fan of laundry and would often procrastinate. I'm much more on top of it these days...

While I was still having relapses, I bleached household surfaces with the wipes a couple times a week and bleached down the whole bathrooms as often as possible. Once my symptoms subsided, I did bleached frequently (at least once a week). After I knew that I was no longer a carrier (my PCR came back negative) I do a thorough bleaching of the bathrooms probably bi-weekly (it's just what I use to wipe everything down and mop floors with now--since C diff and knowing it's really the only thing that kills everything--or almost everything). When the baby was crawling, we started bleaching all the floors. Yes--you can eat off my floors now (and he frequently does--lol)

You don't have to make yourself crazy with the cleaning though. Do what you can. And you don't have to throw stuff away...a couple good heavy washings will do it.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:32 pm

Thanks Tonja, i am making myself crazy with the cleaning...i bleach everything everyday, and i dont have D...i only go once a day and its pretty well formed. Still i cant help to feel contagious...my anxiety is worse in the mornings. My son goes only once a day too but is a lil loose but always stays contained in his diaper. I wipe him up so good with wipes i use tons for just one diaper change...i rewipe him before putting him in his bath too. As you already know...babies love splashing their bathwater...i get paranoid and have to work on my anxiety about that too

minuano
Brand New Poster

Postby minuano » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:07 am

Hi, new here in Australia and giving bathing for last many days and safe him in bedding, I am not getting any issue!
Buy Living Textiles in Australia Online @ Best Price!

MomMoose
Brand New Poster

Postby MomMoose » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:08 pm

My 3yr d was just hospitalized for 5 days due to cdiff. Because there are 5 ppl in our house we make sure we bleach the tub and rinse it with boiling water after each bath he gets. We were also told to wash all bedding,towels and clothes in bleach. He is currently on his second round of flagyl. We are new to all this and of course are concerned with keeping outs two older kids safe from getting it as well. Good luck and I can't imagine how hard it is for a 5 month old.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”