New and have a few questions please

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: New and have a few questions please

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:06 pm

Thank goodness, Judy that you were switched to vanco. I felt really good on the Vanco. It was like night and day compared to the Flagyl. The nausea subsided and I didn't have any side effects. It sounds like you have a very good doctor as well. Hopefully you start to feel better really soon.

Lisa

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:20 pm

Great news!!! I knew I wouldn't have to eat my iPad!!!!

I also used Florastor (s. Boulardii) while I had c diff and for several months afterwards. It worked well for me.

Nancy, sorry about your bad luck with GI dr'. I guess I have been lucky to have 2 great ones.
I hope you find a really good one Judy. It seems as though you hit the jackpot with the ID dr.

Rita

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:35 pm

Hi Judy,
I'm really glad to hear that you are seeing an ID. You are on your way to recovery...the relapses you have experienced are no surprise, Flagyl has the highest relapse rate. It just isn't very effective and the side effects are horrendous. There are other options, Vanco, and there is now Dificid which is expensive, but effective and has worked for many here with recurrent CDI, including myself. If all else fails, there is always FMT. There are many here that have gone that route as well.
Yogurt is not going to be strong enough...look into visiting your local health food store and getting a massive, refrigerated probiotic. Also, like others have said, get some Florastor and Culturelle. Walgreens has just introduced their generic versions of these as well, so that can help keep costs down.
Hang in there, it will get better. Keep us posted on your progress!

justjudy
New User

Postby justjudy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:30 pm

Thanks everyone for all the replies !!! It really helps to be able to actually get info from real people who have dealt and are dealing with this not just reading another article on some web site. I actually feel like my nausea is already getting better along with the cramping seeming to be less. I did start the kefir and am eating some type of yogurt daily. I don't really know anything about the Floraster or Culturelle. How much of these probiotics do I need daily ??

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:35 am

My GI recommended VSL3, so I took that when I was on meds. I took only 2 per day, but spaced it out from the vanco as the meds can kill the probiotics. This type of probiotic is a live lactic acid bacteria. I believe the Culturelle is similar as it is a live lactobacillus bacteria as well, so you should space them out from the vanco. Florastor is a yeast probiotic called Saccharomyces Boulardii which will not be killed by the meds. Many have taken this while on meds and in recovery. I started the Florastor in recovery, but only because I didn't want to overdo it too soon. I would start off with just one of each probiotic that you are taking to see how you react. Probiotics can cause gassiness and bloating for some. Once my body adjusted, the gas and bloating subsided, but it never was intolerable. You can see how you do, and always add another pill. I am 9 months out and still take 1-VSL3 and 1-Florastor per day. With active c-diff and in early recovery, I always drank one cup of Kefir and ate 1-2 yogurts per day. Now I drink either 1 cup of Kefir or eat 1 yogurt per day. It's really an individual thing as you need to see how your body reacts and tolerates the probiotics. However, start off slow and maybe try one kind of probiotic at a time to make it easier to pinpoint if you start to get GI upset.

Lisa

justjudy
New User

Postby justjudy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:05 pm

Lisa thanks for the info but I am still confused. I am doing the Activia and one cup pf kefir daily. Is this enough or should I start the culturelle and Vsl3 at the same time??

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:55 pm

The Activia that you are referring to is the yogurt, right? In my opinion, yogurt and Kefir are really just add ons. The real probiotics are the VSL-3 or Culturelle and S. Boulardii (Florastor). Those are what is going to really help to replenish your good bacteria. The VSL-3 and Culturelle contain billions of multiple strains of live bacteria and S Boulardii has it's own set of benefits in fighting bad bacteria and yeast in the gut. You can google both to see all of their benefits. I believe yogurt has much less live cultures and less strains, which is why probiotic pills are more beneficial. I am not a probiotic expert by any means, and someone else can correct me or add more info.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:18 pm

Lisa, I have the same understanding as you, and that is by my own medical knowledge, research and discussions with my GI doc and friend. Exactly as you said- yogurt and other foods are great as add- ons and certainly help, but they are not in the same class as the various probiotic pills that we talk about.

justjudy
New User

Postby justjudy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:55 pm

Hey just wanted to do a little update. Have been on the vanco for one week today. I am really feeling so much better. My stomach cramps are probably about one third of what they were. The nausea is almost gone as well. I still am having the night time sweats and also still feel VERY tired and run down. The Vanco is making me itch so I am taking some Benadryl (hope thats ok ). Now to the too much info section. My stools are starting to have some form again so that also feels like a step in the right direction. I am going to get some of the Culturelle or Floraster tommorrow and start that as well as continue with my kefir and Activia. Guess that about sums it up. Thanks everyone . I am on this site daily reading and really getting alot of good info and really like the support of this group. Hope everyone has a good night !!! Should I start with the Cultureele or Floraster ???

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:26 am

If it were me, I would start with the Florastor, as that is the one that most doctors recommend for people with c-diff and it seems to help me the most. Some people can't tolerate it, though, and become very gassy and bloated. I would start with one a day and see how it affects you. Did you read the article in media reports about kefir helping to prevent relapses with c-diff? It's interesting. Glad you are feeling better.
Bea

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:03 am

Florastor helps with D too. It is recommended for traveler's D, so it might help to firm things up a bit. I am one of the ones who can't take it. Get very gassy and bloated and I got a rash, but most people do ok with it.

justjudy
New User

Postby justjudy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:50 pm

Hey everyone !! Just wanted to do a quick update. Saw my ID doctor today after my 2 weeks of vanco 4 times daily. He changed me to 3 times a day and will see me again in two weeks. He said if I feel like I am headed back in the other direction to go back to the 4 times a day. He told me to keep on my probiotics as well. I still don't feel great by any means but sooo much better than I was two weeks ago. Thanks everyone for your support and kind words. I am doing my best to try to stay positive with this yucky stuff !!!! Judy

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”