Pos again- so upset

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Tre16
New User

Re: Pos again- so upset

Postby Tre16 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:23 am

Yeah I was worried the Vanco wasn't long enough also, I see everyone on here talk about taper/ pulse dosage, and mine is just 10 days/ 4x a day. I'm seeing my GI finally on Friday, so I'm going to ask if I can get an Rx for the Dificid to take right after the Vanco to try to knock it out.I don't want to sit around waiting for it to come back again. When you get it back again this soon, (10 days after first round of meds) it's because it wasn't all knocked out the first time right? Certain anti-pet family members are insistent that my cats are "carriers" and are giving it back to me.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:36 am

It's really not unusual to relapse shortly after finishing Flagyl. Many strains of c-diff have become resistant to it at this point. Lots of people are cured with one round of Vanco after Flagyl failed. I have a young friend who took Flagyl three times and relapsed every time, then was cured with a ten-day course of Vanco. Chances are the doctor will want you to just finish the current course of Vanco and then see how things go, but you can always tell him your concerns and see if he will prescribe a taper/pulse. Not sure about using Dificid after Vanco but I guess that could possibly be an option as well. I have heard of using Xifaxan as a Vanco "chaser." Let us know what the doctor says.
Bea

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:42 am

I agree with Bea. C-diff has become very resistant to Flagyl, and does not always work. As I said in an earlier post, I relapsed two weeks after finishing Flagyl, and was cured by 9 days of Flagyl switched to a 14 day course of Vanco. I was switched because the Flagyl was making me very ill. I think you should definitely talk to your doctor about your concerns, perhaps he will agree with a taper/pulse of the Vanco. But, I am not sure if he will switch you to Dificid without seeing if the Vanco round worked first. Remember, these are all very strong meds that take a toll on your body as well. Really the goal is to get rid of the c-diff with the least rounds of treatment possible. There is a strong possibility that the vanco will cure it. Let us know how your appt goes.

Feel better soon,
Lisa

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:27 pm

I took multiple rounds of flagyl and relapsed in a matter of days after finishing the meds. Finally was given a 6 week taper and pulse of vanco and it cured me! It was magical :) lol I relapsed after about 4-5 months into recovery because I had to take Bactrim for a bad uti-of course! So my doc prescribed the same taper and pulse of vanco again-just finished my meds on Monday. My personal opinion is that flagyl should not be used for c diff anymore, depending on the strain it usually doesn't help and only makes us feel like crap! I hate flagyl-will never take it again unless my life depends on it!

Tre16
New User

Postby Tre16 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:17 am

Ugh I know I can't believe how bad I felt on metronidazole! The first week was hell, besides the obvious stomach issues, my body felt like jelly, no energy, was dizzy, would get confused/disoriented in the middle of talking to people, very nauseas, depressed/ hopeless feeling...I would have never thought an anti fungal/ antibiotic could mess with your head that bad! I mean I don't know how much of it was the disease itself vs the metro side effects, but being on the vancomycin this week I feel much better (again, besides the stomach...!) When I go back to work I'm going to feel terrible pilling the animals with metro knowing how terrible it is. Oh and the taste....so gross!

Jackie25
Regular Contributor

Postby Jackie25 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:00 am

I experienced all of those feelings also when I was on flagyl, as soon as I switched to vanco I felt so much better! I think it is the med that makes us feel so crappy, almost worse than just the c diff symptoms honestly! Vanco was awesome, I didn't have any issues except some mushy loose stool that I think was caused by that occasionally. Could've been IBS though or just my body dealing with the infection. I have learned from this site that vanco can cause loose mushy stool, however. So be aware of that now that you are on it :) it can also just be part of the healing process. So confusing I know :/ lol it will get better though!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”