Potential staph infection - more antibiotics..help!

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Re: Potential staph infection - more antibiotics..help!

Postby Dobies#1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:11 am

Sevia this sounds good so far! Give us an update later and let us know what you find out Monday.
Thanks for the prayers! I'm doing the same for you as well! XOXO!

davidm
Regular User

Postby davidm » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:40 pm

If you do have to take antibiotics, it is definitely worthwhile to take Saccharomyces Boulardii to stave off the C Difficile. A number of studies have shown benefits from this. The doses used in the studies are usually 500mg twice a day.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:26 pm

I have atopic dermatitis, too, but no pimples, thank God, just a persostent rash that moves around. Glad you are doing better.

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:14 pm

ID doc prescribed topical clindamycin.....

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:57 pm

Topical clindamycin was one of the things that gave me c diff. I wouldn't use it again for anything. Even before c diff, it gave me D.

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:21 pm

oh wow..thanks, Beth!! Had you taken any other antibiotics or had you been in any hospital or nursing home at the same time? Was it the first time you got it or a relapse?

It is amazing..I think I just have the hability to chose the worst doctors??!! She was very nice, very chatty (about other things not related to what I was there for..).
When I asked her about topical clindamycin causing c diff she was "I cannot usualy guarantee many things, but one thing i can guarantee is that topical clindamycin will not cause c diff"... she was really convinced about what she was saying!! I went to a University Hospital thinking they know better there...
Good thing I have a second opinion tomorrow - going to another ID doctor early morning. I am traumatized with bad doctors so have always a second opinion lined up. I will not use the topical clinda until I hear the second opinion tomorrow. In the mean time I will continue to use tea tree oil and prid...

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:36 pm

Clindamycin vaginal cream caused or contributed to my c-diff. I also will never use it in any form again.
Bea

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:48 pm

Ok..clearly I am not putting that on my neck! What a great ID doctor I had.. Let's see what the one I am seeing tomorrow says. Nowadays I have little faith in doctors.

Would then it almost be better to take oral Bactrim instead of topical clinda?

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:23 pm

Is the Bactroban not working or did you stop using it? Has the place gotten worse? Bactrim is one of the lesser offenders, but if the Bactroban would work, I would think that would be best. I would see what the ID doctor recommends first and then ask about the Bactroban.
Bea

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:26 pm

Thanks, Bea. Bactroban was working but I did not use it long enough. I switched to prid which is a drawing salve and it started drawing the stuff from the pimple. However doc thought of also adding cindla to it - and then she also said I can experiment and put this salve on it as well. Wtf - basically she did not really help at all..

davidm
Regular User

Postby davidm » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:49 pm

How long have you had this pimple? The body can normally deal with things like this by itself in about a week to ten days with no treatment at all. Would it be worth waiting a few days to see if it improves by itself?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:52 am

I would use the Bactroban rather than the clindamycin. I used Bactroban last year for about 10 days and it did not give me c diff or even loose stools. Before I got c diff, I got D from topical clindamycin and the dermatologist said to stop. When I stopped, the D stopped. Then clindamycin vaginal cream is what made me test positive for c diff. I had taken Cipro about two months before, but it was while I was using the clinda, that I got the M and B and tested positive. Before, I tested negative.

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:36 am

Thanks David and Beth. I also want to see if the body heals it with the help of the natural things I am using. It looks a little better today but still not clean.
Just Went to the second ID doctor..

He said that pimple looked ok but still has some pus in it - so he took a culture. Depending on culture he will prescribe bactrim or not. He wanted to prescribe bactrim already but since he saw me reluctant he was ok with waiting. He also said he would put me on flagyl with it! What?! I would not take the flagyl..even if he sounded convinced that it would help prevent a relapse. He also said FMT is this new trend.. Lol! And that if I would relapse he would try Dificid again!

davidm
Regular User

Postby davidm » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:21 am

Well, the culture will take a few more days, by which time you should be able to see if it is improving with no drugs. Maybe you will not need any at all :-)

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:28 am

I think it's a good thing that you got a culture. At least you can see if there is a bacteria in there that needs treatment, rather than taking the risk of treatment unnecessarily. I hope that it just clears up on its own for you, so you don't even have to deal with the stress of the antibiotic. I chuckled too at the "FMT is the new trend." Doctors really have a way with words sometimes. The people who are doing them are desperate to get well because meds aren't working! They are suffering and looking for an FMT as a cure, not to be cool, as trend implies to me. I just had to vent about that, Sevla. Sorry. :-) I really am praying for you that this pimple just clears up with the natural remedies you are using.

Keep us posted,
Lisa

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”