Flagyl side effects

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
an0chick
Regular User

Flagyl side effects

Postby an0chick » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:21 am

I kept hearing about the side effects of Flagyl, however it's the only option I have for now and I do feel better (no more watery D. Well I've taken 5 doses (about to take my 6th) and I woke up today feeling extremely tired, with aches on my shoulders. And I'm starting to feel nauseous. Did any of you guys feel this while on Flagyl? Is this really the antibiotic?

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Re: Flagyl side effects

Postby Dobies#1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:53 am

I had nausea, loss of appetite and if I remember correctly my urine was a different color. It's a hard antibiotic to take. We've used it for our dog's before too and they hated it!

an0chick
Regular User

Postby an0chick » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:58 am

I have appetite but I have a headache and I just feel off. Unfortunately I wasn't diagnosed with a stool test. They played the guessing game and decided that bc I was taking antibiotics and was having severe diarrhea and tummy cramps that I have C Diff. /: I wish they would've done the stool test that I REQUESTED but was denied bc it wasn't necessary. Ughh

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:20 am

Only 20% of antibiotic associated D ls caused by c.diff.
Any Dr that diagnosed c.diff because you have been on antibiotics but did not test you is grossly negligent
IF it is c.diff 7 days of flagyl is unlikely to kill it!!!
Another thought is that meds usually take 3 to 5 days to resolve c.diff D and not just a couple of doses.

an0chick
Regular User

Postby an0chick » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:35 am

I agree about the doctor being completely negligent. Honestly, I have no idea what I have. I had severe watery D that I've never had before (TWELVE times)... the first day it started I stopped the antibiotic and went running to the ER...and the D still continued for another day until I started taking the antibiotic on the afternoon of the second day. I'm not saying I have Cdiff bc I unfortunately wasn't tested but my D did start getting better after the a few doses of Flagyl...Idk if maybe it was a mild case...and I should've waited OR if it was a mild case and I acted very quickly.....OR if I even have it at all. But hopefully the ID doctor I see today will give me more insight.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:37 am

Agree with Roy. Let us know what the ID doc says. Hopefully they're smarter than the ER doctor's!!!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:11 pm

On Flagyl I was very nauseated and had a metallic taste in my mouth all the time. They told me to take it with food but that didn't make any difference.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:49 pm

I was very fatigued while I was on Flagyl, but I don't know if that was a side effect from the Flagyl or was from the c-diff itself. I never had the upper back pain you are describing. I did, however, have bad headaches. Whenever I have questions about side effects from a medication, I call my pharmacist. They know more about medications than the doctors do. I would do that as well as tell the ID doctor about all your symptoms. Hope the ID can give you some answers; but, at this point, I doubt if there is any way to know if you just had diarrhea from the Bactrim and stopping it caused the diarrhea to resolve, or you had a mild case of c-diff that resolved quickly from stopping the Bactrim and/or starting the Flagyl. It's all water under the bridge and you and the ID will just have to make the decision about how to proceed now. Let us know what he has to say about the situation.
Bea

an0chick
Regular User

Postby an0chick » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi guys.
So I'm back from the ID dr. He thinks that I probably do have C.diff... he didn't order any additional testing just suggested that I finish 10-14days of Flagyl...and that I should be fine. ..since the D has stopped...it seems that it was a mild case of C.diff (according to him)...we'll see how I'm doing after I'm done taking the full course. Thanks for all the replies you guys. (: I was very worried when they first mentioned the C.diff but I'm doing better in part for your responses! I hope all of you get cured. I'll update if anything changes but hopefully I'll be okay from now on.

megan2
Regular Contributor

Postby megan2 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:10 pm

That is crazy to take med without being tested. You need to insist on stool testing for c diff and other parasites. There are many other things that cause D than c diff. Why would you take such a harsh drug without a stool test. If you asked for one the doctor would give you one. This makes no sense.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:58 pm

Megan, yes, ideally, anOchick should have had testing for c-diff before being treated but that's just not the way it worked out in this particular case. Doctors treat empirically for many illnesses without any real proof of what they are treating and c-diff is no exception. In this case, it would have been simple to get a stool sample before prescribing that first dose of Flagyl and, yes, that would have been preferable. However, the doctor at the ER examined the patient, took her history and based on that history and symptoms, felt that it was most likely c-diff and opted to start treatment. AnOchick has already been on the Flagyl for several days now, the diarrhea has resolved and an ID doctor has advised her to continue on medications. Testing at this point would be useless. I'm sure you aren't suggesting she should go against doctor's advice and stop treatment halfway into it. If the diarrhea returns after completion of the Flagyl, then I'm sure the ID will order the appropriate tests.
Bea

AllysMom
Contributor

Postby AllysMom » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:38 pm

Flagyl was horrible for me. I think the side effects were way worse then the c-diff its self. I lost all apetite, no energy, wanted to sleep all of the time, nausea, you name it. I got really sad and depressed too! I won't take it ever again after suffering through it for 14 long days but I know everyone is different!

Hope you start feeling better soon!

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:46 pm

Glad that your appointment with the ID seemed to go fairly well and that your possible c diff symptoms are subsiding. As far as flagyl side effects, it can be difficult for many to take and others seem to have little to no side effects. When I was first diagnosed with c diff, they started me on flagyl. After two days of feeling horrible, very nauseous and horrible abdominal pain (mainly), my doc switched me to oral liquid vanco and I did much better on that. Hopefully your possible flagyl side effect symptoms subside, if they persist or worsen, check with your doc. Good luck and let us know how you do.
Michelle

an0chick
Regular User

Postby an0chick » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:30 pm

Megan: You're absolutely right. Like I said bc I suspected C.diff... I did REQUEST a stool sample at the ER but was told that it wasn't necesary... I don't agree but that's how it went. Sometimes doctors don't like to be told what to do.... I went to the ER on Sunday and waited until Monday afternoon to see if the D would stop on its own after stopping the Bactrim but it didn't so I started the Flagyl and thankfully the D stopped a few doses afterwards.

Seekingcure: The ID doctor did order some ova and parasite stool and blood testing but more so for my digestive issues PRIOR to the watery d antibiotic ordeal. Obviously if my D comes back after the course of Flagyl I will DEFINETELY DEMAND a stool test to test for C,diff.

Misscshell24: Thank you. Yes I was scared of taking Flagyl bc I was warned early on in this forum about the side effects. lol I'm not super nauseous yet... Just on and off... And do feel quite tired... But as you probably know... Having severe watery D is worse!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:22 pm

Be sure you eat something along with the Flagyl to help keep the nausea from getting so bad. If side effects worsen, ask the ID what to do. He may want you to switch to Vanco or stop the Flagyl.
Bea

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”