Taking clorox wipes to hospital

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
handwasher
Regular Contributor

Taking clorox wipes to hospital

Postby handwasher » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:32 pm

Has anyone ever taken clorox wipes to the hospital when they were admitted? I very well could end up in there and I'm scared of that place and cdiff. What do you all think?

mandy
New User

Re: Taking clorox wipes to hospital

Postby mandy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:38 pm

I brought Clorox Healthcare Wipes (the one thats kill C Diff) to the ER when my dad was there for a short visit. I wore gloves and wiped down his table, siderails, call bell, etc. Then I degloved and washed my hands! It was very stressful. With my C Diff history and his weaked immune system, I felt I had to do whatever I could to decrease both of our risks.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:19 pm

I say go for it! They would kill C Diff, among all the other nasties in the hospital. You said in your other post that the CT scan you had showed diverticulitis, correct? I talked to a friend today that has bouts of diverticulitis and she said she has felt lousy when she has a flare. They prescribed Flagyl once for her but it made her feel worse as it does with a lot of folks, BUT it shouldn't cause C Diff. She said they gave her Cipro for the diverticulitis when Flagyl didn't agree with her. With that said I assume your dr prescribed your Cipro for the diverticulitis. I may be way off base here, but it was just a thought after waking with my friend. Let us know what happens!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:29 pm

Did you have a positive test in 2011 when you first took flagyl?
Its a long time since then to still be worrying its still there, or lurking around every corner!
Sensible hygine, hand washing before eating etc is all that should be needed.
Most important is that you don't ingest it.
That mostly means hand to mouth.
stop it from reaching the mouth and you can't catch c.diff

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:48 pm

If it eases your mind to wipe things down with Clorox wipes, why not?
Bea

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:48 pm

You can do whatever you want to do in a hospital - you are paying for it. I took bleach wipes on the plane to FL and wiped the seats and trays down. Didn't work because we all got sick as my husband was already coming down with something. We can't control everything - but we can do what is reasonable - and protecting your self is reasonable,

As Roy asked, have you had a recent PCR? You might have IBS. See CDI - IBS and CDI - Three day rule. Let us know how you do,

handwasher
Regular Contributor

Postby handwasher » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:27 pm

Thanks for all the advice.Roy...yes I had a positive stool in 2011 and took two rounds of flagyl. I understand it's hand to mouth contact but if we taped ourselves for a day we would probably see how many times we touch our face area unintentionally. Bobbie...I did have a pcr done when I got sick this time about a month ago.It came back neg.I believe it was a false neg. It was not a watery stool but very soft. I took flagyl it was better.Took macrobid started again with pain fever DM weight lose.This afternoon I have had 5 watery D in 3 hrs and alot of gas. I will call Dr again tomorrow.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:56 pm

Are you taking the Cipro or did you decide to wait on that? If you started it, that is probably what is causing the diarrhea. Do you have an order for a c-diff PCR? If so, with your symptoms, I would go ahead and get it done as soon as the lab is open. Some places are closed tomorrow because of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Also, when they did the c-diff PCR last month, did they also check for giardia, shigella, blood, ova and parasites? Some other intestinal infections would also improve with Flagyl. I would want all these things tested, in addition to c-diff.
Bea

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:38 am

If you are taking the Cipro you will probably get a false neg. I hope you didn't start that Cipro unless it was life threatening illness, Cipro is high offender and has bad side effects. I think I remember you said you were waiting to take it. Hope you feel better soon. Let us know how you do.
CAROL

mjmcgetr
Regular Contributor

Postby mjmcgetr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:03 pm

I know my er and hospital has germicadal wipes and spray in every room!! When my daughter was ill I almost used a whole barrel :) But if you are unsure take those with you ! I wore gloves and wiped down the entire room !

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:16 pm

An afterthought.
If you do take anything containing bleach into a hospital then get permission before you use it!
You don't know if it will react with anything they use.
You don't want to be filling a ward with chlorine gas, or end up with a lawsuit from another patient who claims something you did caused them harm.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:41 pm

Good idea, Roy. The bleach wipes smell very strongly of bleach.

handwasher
Regular Contributor

Postby handwasher » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:18 pm

Well I'm taking cipro and flagyl.I started feeling much better the next day. Yesterday and today my abdomen feels so much better.Dr feels I have diverticulitis.Not sure though.I feel it could also have pseudomembranoeus colitis because of c-diff.I do have inflammation in right lower colon. I was so sick Sunday that I figured I had to do something. I will at sometime have a colonoscopy done too. I read the Mayo clinic site on this colitis and it can be very serious. I'm taking one day at a time. I will say Roy I should not have taken the false PCR as wrong. When you are that sick you need to be proactive. I will keep you posted.It took alot to get that first cipro down! I pray I don't get cdiff from it.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:04 pm

Isn't pseudomembranoeus colitis the same thing as CDiff? Anyway, glad you're feeling better!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:12 am

It likely is diverticulitis if you are responding to the Cipro and Flagyl that quickly. Hopefully the Flagyl will help keep C-diff at bay while it is also treating the diverticulitis. I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better. Praying you continue to improve and don't develop c-diff. Let us know how you do.
Bea

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”