Earle's story cont'd; is it over?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
earleyoung
New User

Earle's story cont'd; is it over?

Postby earleyoung » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:41 am

My previous history is given in a previous post with a similar name. I am now 5 weeks off dificid and, from what I read here, if I make it to 12-15 weeks, the beast should be gone. Neither Flagyl nor Vancomycin worked for me. Comments are welcome. My daily regimen is two 250 mg Florastor capsules daily (morning and night), and a container of yogurt with live active cultures, like Stoneyfield, plus a glass of a probiotic, like Kefir. Since the beginning of this nightmare last August I have neglected my teeth. Because of the nature of the needed repairs I will probably need an antibiotic. I am petrified of antibiotics because that was what gave me C diff. Does anyone have any experiences with an antibiotic that is relatively safe?

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: Earle's story cont'd; is it over?

Postby seekingcure » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:13 pm

I understand your fear of antibiotics. We all have the same fear. I was considering having some gum surgery a few months ago and talked to my ID regarding what would be a safer antibiotic for me to take post procedure. He recommended Doxycycline. I ended up postponing the surgery so have not tried taking any antibiotic since I finished my Vanco for c-diff last November. There is a list of safer antibiotics and antibiotics more likely to cause c-diff under the CDI section onsite.
Bea

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:14 pm

My dentist prescribes flagyl

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:23 pm

If an infection is not deep, you can use an antibiotic mouth wash Peridex. I have used it many times without a problem. If more serious, doxy or Flagyl could work. Check with your pharmacists dentist, and doctor. Congrats on feeling better.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:00 pm

I am also 5 weeks post Dificid. I started 10 months ago with C diff and also went through flagyl and Vanco which did not work even though I had a Vanco taper. I went on Dificid for 10 days but relaspsed after 3 days. Then I was put on Dificid again and this time went to a long pulse taper. During this time I ended up in the ER with a UTI that had to be treated. The culture and Sensitivities showed Keflex to be the drug required. At that time, my doctor increased the Dified to twice a day and had me on the antibiotic at the same time......It was a rough time but I got through it. I then continued with the pulse taper.....and I am now 5 weeks out. Fingers crossed!!!

Wishing you the Best!

earleyoung
New User

Postby earleyoung » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:43 am

Thank you for the inputs Bea, Roy and Nanci. I'll share your inputs with my dentist. Wishing you the best too Nanci.

I am sure that most of you have/had another similar problem, i.e. weight loss. I lost 30 pounds during my ordeal. I have gained 10 back but seem to have plateaued there, in spite of a pretty good appetite.

A little confession: 'chicken little' here still wears Depends even though I have not needed them for several weeks

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:38 pm

Hopefully, all will go well for you Earle at the dentist and your recovery can continue with minimal problems. P.S. We all feel like "Chicken Littles" after our little adventures with C. Diff. It doesn't hurt to Be Prepared. Happy Holidays.
Aloha,
Anne

earleyoung
New User

Postby earleyoung » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:20 pm

I am now 12 weeks post dificid and all seems to be going well. I can tolerate almost all foods except the spicy kind. Have even had a beer a day for the last 2 weeks with no effect. Also had a handful of cashews (my favorite nut) a day for the last several days, with no effect.I continue my post dificid regimen daily, which consists of 2 florastor a day (one at least 2 hours after dinner, and one at least one hour before breakfast), a container of Activia (live active cultures) at mid day, and an occasional glass of Kefir. The weight is coming back very slowly. I have gained back 15 of the 30 pounds I lost. I think that I will try physical therapy to get some muscle tone back. Any thoughts on this? Also, how many post dificid weeks do I have to go before I can say that I beat the beast? I haven't gone to the dentist yet. Am waiting till I am sure that it is gone.I almost forgot another important thing. "Chicken little" hasn't used pampers for over 2 weeks, with no accidents.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi Earle: It's nice to hear that you are doing well. After 12 weeks and no incidents of watery D, I think you can stop holding your breath and relax. In fact, you are doing I lot better than I did at 12 weeks recovery period. To gain back more weight and muscle mass, I would recommend consuming more carbs and protein, eating more small meals a day, and using light weights and resistance exercises about two to three times a week. Walking is also good for increasing stamina, appetite, and muscle strength. If you can't walk outside because of weather or other problems, try going to a mall or Walmart and walk the aisles, or just walk around your house or apartment. Walk briskly, if you can and be sure to stay hydrated. If you can afford it, enroll at a gym and get started on an exercise program suited for your needs. Good luck and take care.
Aloha,
Anne

Tonja13
Regular Contributor

Postby Tonja13 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:48 pm

Hey "Chicken Little", lmao...you are doing so great! I'm very glad to hear such good news! I had to have my tonsils out at the end of September (26th). I had only been off the Dificid since July 28th. (After so many relapses during the prior 6 months, we lost count.) I had to go on Minocycline (again) for a sinus infection the first week of September. They didn't want to wait any longer for the surgery--they just couldn't manage to keep me off of the antibiotics, due to the numerous tonsil and sinus infections!
They gave me something during surgery via IV, of course, and then I was sent home with a script for Amox. 250mg/ 2x day, for 7 days. It was as weak as they could go--the human mouth is a very dirty place. Talk about terror! Since I couldn't eat solid foods for two weeks, I basically lived on probiotics, Kefir and Aloe juice, but I made it through! Many of us have had to go through the same thing at some point post-C Diff.

earleyoung
New User

Postby earleyoung » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:22 am

Thanks for the input Anne. I have been doing some exercise with light weights, and some walking, but I am frustrated because I cannot walk as fast as I would like; get more unstable as I try to walk faster. My grandson, who has a BS in kinesiology, tells me that a physical therapist with his/her salt will develop a program to meet my needs.Of course I have to get my GP to recommend PT.

Tonja, sounds like you are over your tonsil bout. Glad to hear it. Is the C diff gone? Sure hope so.

earleyoung
New User

Postby earleyoung » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:57 am

This old guy is now 16 weeks post dificid. Bowels continue to be normal. No particular diet problems, except that I still stay away from spicy foods. Have gained back 19 of the 30 pounds I lost. Daily regimen remains the same; 2 florastor a day, morning, one hour before food, and night, two hours after food. Also eat a container of Activia during the day (live active cultures). Been using normal underware for 6 weeks now. My GP has started me on physical therapy two days a week to help regain strength and muscle tone.

This nightmare started on 8/2/14. I am almost afraid to write this, but I think that the beast is gone. Thanks to everyone here for all of the terrific help and support.

Earle

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi Earle, So glad to hear that you re recovering well. Getting my strength back was challenging for me as well. I never did any physical therapy, just walked. Hope to get back to walking more now that the weather is beginning to get warmer here.

Thank you for letting us know that you are doing better. This gives hope to those still going through this life-altering illness. Please come back and post in Success stories when you feel a little more confident that you are completely cured. Good luck for your continued recovery.
Bea

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:00 pm

Congrats. Earle. Glad to hear the good news.

Pls do post in Success Stories in another month.

I think you beat the beast!

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:36 pm

Great news Earle, I'm so happy for you. YOu will get your strength back, I"m sure of it. Good luck and keep us posted. we love success stories.
CAROL

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”