Got folliculitis, topical antibiotic question

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Rane
Contributor

Got folliculitis, topical antibiotic question

Postby Rane » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:30 am

I just went to the doctor today for a swollen lymph node on my neck. I also told him about some out of control folliculitis and he says they're related. He also said they'd normally give someone antibiotics. I said no way, so he gave me bactroban cream. I know that some of the scabs have opened and am afraid I'll get compromised and exposed to c diff again. Also, I put some on my chin and am afraid of what would happen if I accidentally ingested trace amounts. Can I get c diff this way?

Man, I'm so depressed. I just wish my stupid body would behave!

Also, I keep getting websites saying that bactroban can give you c diff, is this true?

roy
Administrator

Re: Got folliculitis, topical antibiotic question

Postby roy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:13 am

Yes that antibiotic is implicated as possibly causing c.diff.
Has your Dr tested for what bug is causing the infection?
From what I read bactroban is mainly used for MRSA!

Rane
Contributor

Postby Rane » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:07 pm

The doctor didn't say it was MRSA just staph or impetigo. I've always had small infections on the nape of my neck which were taken care of with Neosporin. I think like most my system is screwed up (for a bit, hopefully) post c diff and the staph grew out of control. Besides, I'm reading that garlic is effective against staph, so I'll be taking that and continue with my probiotics.

Also, I read something on this site where someone said that the bactroban can't really mess anything up too bad. Heck, they were putting it in their nose.

megan2
Regular Contributor

Postby megan2 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:12 pm

If you are using the cream topically I don't see how it would get into your intestines.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:56 pm

I used intranasal bactroban while I had C. diff - not sure if that prolonged or contributed to relapses, but I don't recall any particular connection to using it and then having a relapse. I also used intranasal bactroban last winter (when I didn't have C. diff) without any side effects. This past September I had ingrown toenail surgery, and used bactroban topically afterwards. I would think that the more risky use would be intranasal, not so much topically.

Rane
Contributor

Postby Rane » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Great, I'm having D again....Might as well take the antibiotic for the staph infection!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:10 pm

Maybe your D is from stress or something else. I used bactroban for an infected hand a few months ago and the ointment did not cause any symptoms whatsoever. I told the doctor about the c diff history. The one that causes problems is clindamycin in cream, gel, any form. Bactroban taken orally or via IV is a different matter. Between taking oral antibiotics or using the Bactroban, I would try the Bactroban. I used it for over a week, 3 or 4 times a day because I had a biopsy site on my hand that became very infected. The doctor was going to give me oral antibiotics, but said to try the Bactroban for 24 hours and if it did not help, then I would have to take the oral meds. It worked.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”