soreness in colon

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
mirah
Regular User

soreness in colon

Postby mirah » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:44 pm

How's that for a gripping subject header? :)
I joined yesterday and have been waiting for my dr to get back to me with follow up test results. In the meantime I thought I'd ask you all...

I finished 10 days of flagyl 2 weeks ago. It was absolutely awful as it made my throat and mouth and tongue swell, headache, stomach pain, etc.. but my doctor kept me on it with the addition of benadryl and advil
I went to the er a week after finishing. My gynecologist thought it would be ok for me to have an internal sonogram done to check out an unrelated growth and I ended up having a vasovagal reaction from the stress on my body.

Since then I am lying in bed and eating the BRAT diet.
I still have cramps/gurgling that wakes me up at 4 in the morning then I have a little C and what comes out is green! Also have weakness and some nausea and what feels like a sore colon. Also I'm experiencing puffy and very sensitive gums.
The only thing I am currently taking is florastor and an acidophilus supplement.
Has anyone had experience with these symptoms and know what it could be?
So far one of my cdiff retest came back negative
If part of the problem is a florastor sensitivity does anyone have an alternate s boulardii option they liked?

Thanks for reading and if you have any thoughts I'd love to hear. (Sorry if there was tmi)

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Re: soreness in colon

Postby ResearchGrandma » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:31 pm

Swelling of the mouth and tongue is definitely a sign of an allergic reaction. If I were you I would start looking for another doctor to deal with your intestinal issues - GI probably. I personally do not think much of a doctor who would keep someone on a drug if the doctor thought the drug was causing an allergic reaction. Were you taking florastor while taking the flagyl? I think some people can be allergic to florastor, but then you would still be having symptoms of allergic reaction now.
I believe that testing for C. diff right after finishing medication is not recommended- supposed to wait 10-14 days. Another reason to look for a doctor who is more familiar with treating C. diff infections.
If you are not having loose stools or D you might not need any additional treatment for C diff, even if you test positive. If you have symptoms, test positive, and your doctor wants to give you more flagyl - be careful because your allergic reaction could be more severe. There are other (but more expensive drugs) to treat C. diff - oral vancomycin or dificid.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:50 am

I take Jarrow brand S. Boulardii, but I think if you are allergic to Florastor, you would also be allergic to this one. The active ingredient in both is s. boulardii yeast.
Bea

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:19 am

I am sensitive to ANY s boulardii.

mirah
Regular User

Postby mirah » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:46 am

Thank you all for your response. My second c diff came back negative (12 days after finishing flagyl)

I take 3 florastor throughout the day to minimize the reaction but it sounds like it may be the reason my gums are still sensitive and bleeding.
I read from comments about jarrow that people say it packs a stronger punch than florastor so that's why I haven't taken it.

Has anyone had the Kombucha drink? I read it has s boulardii. But I'm not sure my stomach could handle it as I'm still on the BRAT plus potatoes diet.

Beth do you take something else? What do you do about your sensitivity?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”