Prescribed omeprazole for nausea from metronidazole

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: Prescribed omeprazole for nausea from metronidazole

Postby seekingcure » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:39 pm

I had forgotten about the sea bands that Nancy mentioned. I used them when I was on Byetta and had horrible nausea all the time. They actually do help!

I also had no appetite while on the Flagyl. I literally had to force myself to choke down a half a turkey sandwich. It took awhile for my appetite to return after I got off the Flagyl. Now, a year out from c-diff, I wish my appetite wasn't quite so good. Being so happy to be able to enjoy food again, I've let my weight creep up on me.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Young children are very resilient and she knows you love her. Let dad take up some of the slack for you while you get well. It's normal to feel anxiety and depression while battling this illness. There's even a medical explanation for it. Google "brain/gut connection." I think you will feel much better once you get started on the Vanco. I did.
Bea

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Thank you so much, Anne and Bea. I used to wear those bands when I was pregnant with morning sickness. I will try them again! I appreciate your support so much! It is encouraging to know that you felt the same exact way, and there is a light at the end of this godforsaken tunnel!

I can't thank you enough!
Lisa

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:40 pm

I too lost a lot of weight, both prior to C. Diff with the flu, pneumonia, a sinus infection, and 2 UTI's (over 6 months with different antibiotics prescribed), and then C. Diff and the dreaded Flagyl. I lost a total of 40 lbs. and am thankful I had gotten a little chubby and had it to lose. Here in Hawaii, the dosage of Flagyl is 4/day for 7 days - horrific nausea and cramping from both the Flagyl and C. Diff. My appetite also took quite awhile to return, but when it did I wanted to eat everything in sight. I loaded up on carbs, protein (eggs, chicken and fish - no red meat), and some fruit (mostly apples) - whatever was the easiest on my digestive system and ate about 4-6 small meals/day. The pounds came back, but slowly. Now at 20 months from my initial recovery date, I still have some food issues so I avoid what my colon doesn't like.

You will recover from this horrific condition and be able to spend quality time with your little daughter. And, yes Hawaii is a beautiful place with wonderful people (although very expensive). I hope you and your family can visit again.

Take care and aloha,
Anne

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:20 pm

So I went to the doctor and am happy to report that I was switched to Vanco! The pharmacy won't have it until tomorrow afternoon. I am praying to God that this nausea subsides so that I can feel semi-normal again. I wasn't thrilled with my appt though because I felt rushed. I was literally in tears in the office because I can't take feeling this way anymore. I lost almost 10 lbs, which makes me very nervous. I am having panic attacks and constantly crying. The dr seemed to be overbooked and wasn't alarmed by anything I was saying. I left feeling uncomfortable with the visit. First she was going to prescribe dificid, but I asked for Vanco. I hope the nausea stops!!!

Thank you all,
Lisa

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:15 am

Dificid is the newest drug in the c.diff arsenal!
If your insurance covers the cost it might have been a better choice.
At the moment its only prescribed for c.diff
I am not saying vanco is not correct but to get offered dificid without a Dr trying vanco first can be compared to bobbies team winning that match!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:45 am

Ugh! I didn't know that one drug was better than the other. My understanding was that Vanco would work better, with the least side effects. Now I'm questioning if opening my mouth to the dr for the Vanco was the right move. The pharmacy already ordered the Vanco for me. I just need this nausea to stop! I feel so confused.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:41 am

don't worry, the Vanco will probably help and if it doesn't you can always get them to order you the Dificid. Hopefully once you get the Vanco in your system the nausea will go away and so will the panic and anxiety. Let us know how you do. Hang in there, you will get better.
CAROL

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:56 am

Thank you, Carol. You have eased my nerves a little. I think I need to get my anxiety under control, as well as, get some sleep. I've started to drink pedialyte, which for some reason seems to help with the nasty metallic taste from the flagyl. Hopefully the Vanco is ready for pickup soon!

Thank you,
Lisa

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:18 pm

I never took DIficid but I did take Vanco for a long time (extenuating circumstances) and I can tell you that I felt pretty good once the Vanco got the c-diff under control. I really never had any side effects from it and I had horrible side effects from the Flagyl. I think you will feel much better once you get on the Vanco and it often works to clear c-diff after Flagyl has failed. I have a young friend who took two rounds of Flagyl which failed to clear the infection and she was cured with one ten-day course of Vanco. As Carol said, you can always try the Dificid if the Vanco doesn't work for you, but I think you've got a good chance of it working.
Bea

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:03 pm

I just took my first Vanco and praying to God this nausea goes away soon! I got the capsule form and my insurance covered it! It only cost me $10! I'm shocked! Hoping for better days soon!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:01 am

Vanco is inexpensive because it now has a generic form. (It used to be frighteningly expensive.) Give it two or three days to kick in. You wil feel much better. If not, contact your doc ASAP. Keep us posted.

mirah
Regular User

Postby mirah » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:01 am

Hi Lisa,

I'm sorry you are in the midst of this and hope you can switch over asap. I just switched doctors because I'm still not sure if I will need another round but my doctor said if i test positive he would prescribe another round of flagyl when I had a full blown allergic reaction to it (and he's a gastro!)
My new doctor is an internist and said he would fight insurance to ok the Vancomycin so he's my new guy.
I hope you can get vancomycin in you soon.
One thing for nausea and constant thirst I did was peel fresh ginger and add it to my water and tea and sipped it constantly. I think it helped some. Also a heating pad and hot water bottle helps

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Thank you so much for your reply, Mirah. I just took the second Vanco pill and just praying that once the flagyl is completely out of my system, this nausea subsides. The metallic taste and furry tongue feeling is still present though. I will try the fresh ginger. I was drinking ginger ale, but switched to pedialyte as I'm dropping pounds rather quickly from lack of appetite.

I can't believe your doctor was going to put you on flagyl again after such a horrible reaction to it. Doctors just don't know their patients like they should. It's so disheartening and makes you feel uncomfortable, especially when you are sick. They overbook patients and don't read files before the appt. My dr asked me if she sent me for blood work yet. I was like "no and why don't you know that?!?!" And then at the end of the appt she didn't give me a script for the bloodwork, so I had to ask her for it. I had a list of questions on a paper in front if me, and she pretty much rushed me out. I left feeling worse than before. It is so hard to find great doctors these days. I actually made an appt to see an infectious disease dr as well. I figured another set of eyes on this is better. Unfortunately, the appt isn't until the 18th, unless there's a cancellation.

Anyway, you shouldn't have a problem with your insurance to pay for the Vanco. You are clearly allergic to flagyl, so there shouldn't be any reason for them to not cover it. I only had to pay $10 for 2 wks of capsules. I was pleasantly surprised that was my only cost.

I pray that we all get through this soon and your next test is negative!

-Lisa

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:31 pm

I FINALLY have a positive post to write. Since about 11am this morning, I have not been nauseous and actually had a bit of an appetite. I am so happy that I may be turning the corner to feeling better. Although I know I'm still battling the c-diff, my spirits are lifted now that I can somewhat function without nausea. You guys were all so right about switching to Vanco! The metrondinazole was destroying me! Even the foggy feeling has lifted today. I pray that this trend continues tomorrow. If it does, it had to be the meds that was causing most of my problems. I can't believe I took them for 9 days feeling that way. Please Vanco, get rid of the c-diff now!

Thank you all for the great feedback that pushed me to switch meds!

-Lisa

mirah
Regular User

Postby mirah » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks for the good idea. I just ordered some sea-bands

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”