Zithromycin and CDiff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Jennystrom
New User

Zithromycin and CDiff?

Postby Jennystrom » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:36 pm

I had c diff in january for about 2 weeks before being diagnosed. Im fine now (yayy!) but my daughter has come down with a chest infection and he doctor wants to put her on zithromycin for it. Has thes antibiotic been known to cause c diff and what are the chances my family have the bacteria because i did?

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: Zithromycin and CDiff?

Postby seekingcure » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:22 pm

Any antibiotic can cause c-diff, but some are more likely to. I believe some of our mods have been able to tolerate a Z-pak without relapsing with c-diff, but everyone is different. Some people are getting c-diff now without even taking antibiotics at all.

My husband was around me the entire time I had c-diff and he was able to take a round of Levaquin, followed by a Z-pak without coming down with c-diff. I did give him a VSL-3 capsule and a s. boulardii capsule in the morning and at night the entire time he was on the antibiotics. While I have no way of knowing the probiotics prevented his developing c-diff, my feeling was it couldn't hurt and might help. Our family doctor does recommend taking probiotics or at least eating yogurt or drinking kefir while on antibiotics.

While antibiotics are lifesavers, they are often over-prescribed and do nothing for a viral infection. If it's a true bacterial infection, of course she needs the antibiotics.

I hope your daughter does well. Keep us posted.
Bea

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:07 pm

I took a Z-pak for pneumonia (I have a long history of C. diff.) twice without a problem. I took the probiotic VSL3 - spaced as far apart as possible. I survived the pneumonia without developing C. diff. Zithromycin has gotten some bad press lately, however. I can't remember what it is and it might have been disproven (think it had something to do with the heart.) Call your pharmacist and do some research on it. I did not have a problem with it.

Best of luck. Glad you are OK and am sure your daughter will be too.

Jennystrom
New User

Postby Jennystrom » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:26 pm

All is well, she took the Z and is fine, no Cdiff! :)

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:51 pm

Good news. Thx for letting us know

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”