Has anyone had a problem with Reflux when taking vancomycin?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Lilly4107
New User

Has anyone had a problem with Reflux when taking vancomycin?

Postby Lilly4107 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:00 pm

I am still under the care of my ID doctor and have finished two weeks of tapering off the vancomycin. He changed the dosage to 1 tsp TID instead of 1/2 tsp BID my family Dr. had me on. I started the second stage of the taper on the 17th of Oct. I am now taking 1 tsp BID for two weeks. I have been very fortunate not to have any side effects from the vancomycin the last two times I've been on it. Now, I seem to be having problems with my stomach. I have a hx of gastric reflux, but haven't experienced any problems for quite sometime. I'm wondering if the vancomycin could be causing my problem. I'm getting pains similar to the pains I've experienced when having a flare up of gastric reflux. I asked the Dr. about the pain and he told me to take Mylanta. I've taken Mylanta and it doesn't seem to help. I've taken Nexium in the past, but have heard that that can cause C-diff. Has anyone else heard that? I was doing great when I was taking the vanco 4 times a day, but since I've tapered off I have experienced a change in my BM's, they are more frequent and a differenct consistency. Is this normal when tapering off the vanco?

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: Has anyone had a problem with Reflux when taking vancomy

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:23 pm

I developed reflux after all the Vanco and Dificid I took. I now have to take Zantac twice a day or I have terrible nausea. I still have nausea with the meds but don't want to go on anything stronger. I think these strong ATX just wipe out everything in the gut and also change the stomach acid. I only know this from my own experience. I have not been the same stomach or gut wise since Vanco and Dificid. I hope someday to get off of the Zantac but my GI told me not to worry about taking it, it was a benign drug, whatever that means. I want off of it though at some point, I want to be like I was before CDiff destroyed my guts. I do feel much better but it took over 2 yrs. so far and almost coming up on 3 in March. I hope you can get your reflux under control. Let us know if your Dr. tells you something different than mine. Carol
CAROL

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:49 am

Nexium and other PPIs stop acid from being made in the stomach and make it easier for c diff to flourish so they are not good drugs to use when you are fighting c diff or have a history of c diff. Of course as with anything else, you and your dr have to weigh the pros and cons of the risks of long term acid reflux but it sounds as though this is a recent recurrence. There are other drugs that are less problematic, such as Zantac, so perhaps you can ask your dr if one of those drugs would be safe for you to take. They are still acid reducers and you don't want to do anything to delay your recovery!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:30 pm

I, too. have a problem with acid reflux - have a hiatal hernia. I am also on Zantac but was on PPI's for years until the discovery they are linked to C. diff.

urrosebud
Regular Contributor

Postby urrosebud » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:46 pm

The vanco gave me HORRIBLE heartburn/relux. It was awful. I too take zantac twice a day.

AllisonS
Brand New Poster

Re: Has anyone had a problem with Reflux when taking vancomycin?

Postby AllisonS » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:07 pm

I to have been experiencing Reflux while on vancomycin. Its terrible, my throat burns all day everyday, I am constantly clearing it, no matter what I eat or drink it wont go away. Idk what do it, its annoying and makes me want to vomit, I cant eat or drink anything. This sucks bad. the dr prescribed me some pantoprazole sodium. I hope an pray it works, i only have 2 days left on vancomycin, if it doesnt work i am hoping zantac works.

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:55 pm

I can't say that it was Vancomycin, as I was not diagnosed and on it at the time, but I had an upper GI x-ray with small bowel follow through to help rule out Crohn's during all of the early testing. That includes a fizzy drink which visualizes reflux. The doctor said it shot right up to the top of my throat, and I couldn't even feel it!

GI and his PA's advice on both accounts was to take something like Zantac if it became bothersome to me, but *not* to take a PPI like omeprazole. They don't want to mess around with PPis given their links to CDI vulnerability.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:40 am

This is an old post , check the date!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”