Colonoscopy and symptoms after c diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ril
Long Time Contributor

Colonoscopy and symptoms after c diff

Postby Ril » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:29 pm

I have been reading this site and have found it so helpful, but this is my first time joining and posting. I was diagnosed with c diff after 7 days of clindamycin and started on flagyl. I had d but never watery nor b or m and since I have had IBS all my life, it is hard to ever know what is going on. I tested negative after finishing the flagyl but I think my PCP ordered the test too quickly, although I probably was really negative. Less than 2 weeks later, I had a bad day with lots of motion and called my GI and told him I thought it was back and he ordered a course of vancomycin. Because I am an RN and know about c diff, I think I panicked and it was only bad IBS but he decided I should finish the vanco. That was a month ago. I had been taking florastor and questran for the past month and felt well, but a few weeks ago I switched to welchol, which made me really sick. I switched backed to questran 12 days ago but am still really nauseous. My GI ordered another test, which was neg and he doesn't want to do a repeat. He keeps wanting to do a colonoscopy, which he has been pushing for, to check for Crohn's or other disease, none of which I have any symptoms of. From reading this site I have found a lot of people with nausea and worsened IBS and abdominal discomfort during recovery but can it start a few weeks after feeling well? And has anyone not had a colonoscopy or is it routine to get one with c diff, if even a short course of disease? I don't think so but would love feedback. Sorry this is so long.

Ril- Post moved to Questions about CDiff

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy and symptoms after c diff

Postby gm37 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:45 pm

I am so sorry that you are having problems. Since you are a nurse, you know how confusing c-diff can be.
I had two colonoscopies and several flex-sigs during c-diff and the recovery. I think it just depends on your symptoms and what your doctor thinks. The colonoscopies never bothered me. I think some people relapsed soon after and thought maybe the prep brought it on.
Keep a journal of your symptoms and see if there is a pattern. Make a list of the pros and cons of doing the colonoscopy. Maybe wait a bit and see how things go. Sometimes with problems during c-diff recovery, it is just a wait and see time.
I hope you start feeling better.
Anne

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:29 pm

First, let me give you the standard introduction: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST and its subtopics - especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site and answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's and Dr. McDonald's articles and some of the topics in CDI - formerly FAQ - especially Hygiene, Nutrition, and Testing.

The majority (almost 80%) recovers with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin, but an unlucky small percentage does not and can suffer for months. Everyone eventually recovers, however, unless other factors are involved such as advanced age or severe health problems. If antibiotics contributed to your c diff, be careful about taking them again. (See CDI - Antibiotics). Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop c diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article). For further information see http://www.peggymemorial.org and visit the Mayo Clinic website.

Hi Ril, I moved your post so you would get answers to your questions, you had posted in the wrong section. You will get feedback here. Yes, you can get symptoms a few weeks after stopping Vanco or any med. Ask the Dr. about it but I am 5 months post Vanco and still are having symptoms. I didn't at first and get them on and off. Its really a pain but it just takes very long to heal from CDiff. I don't know how old you are but a colonscopy is a good idea if you are over 50. If not and you are having IBS symtoms the GI probably wants to see whats going on in there. Don't be scared, its a piece of cake, the prep is the worst part and that isn't even that bad. I hope you feel better but nausea seems to be a pretty prevalent symptom for Cdiffers. I hope you feel better. Carol
CAROL

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:00 pm

I have had 2 colonoscopies in the past and am not due for 2 more years. This one would be totally because of the c diff and I am not sure if that is really necessary especially given that I have not had the c diff very long. The prep got me really sick last time since it starts up the IBS like mad, and now I have IBS on steroids since c diff! ( I am sure it is PI/IBS as well) This is a fairly new dr since I moved and he only has my word for my history.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:26 pm

I'd pass on the scope unless you start getting B and M or increased symptoms. Questran makes some people nauseous, and Florastor gave me gas and soft BMs. I take a couple of colestipol pills a day and they will make me a bit nauseous if I take them on an empty stomach, but otherwise they're ok. I'd just ride it out for a while. Would your primary doc order you another C diff test in a week or so, just to put your mind at ease?

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Hmmmmmm......with that history, I see why you are not very excited to have another one. You hate to disagree with your doctor, but maybe wait and see if things calm down on their own. No one wants an unnecessary procedure. C-diff is a pain in the neck to deal with.
Anne

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks for the responses. I am pretty sure I have not relapsed and I am not going to have the scope now, but was curious if it was pretty routine with c diff. And yes, my primary will order a retest if I get concerned and ask her. She has been great. She doesn't think I need the scope now either. I just want to feel normal again!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Just to update: I did finally give in and have the colonoscopy. I am definitely c diff free as we thought, which means either the first course of flagyl worked or the follow-up of vanco did the trick, but either way, I was luckily treated successfully right away and supplemented with 2 months of florastor. Any residual symptoms are PI IBS and it is pretty severe, but the nausea is completely gone and just the IBS symptoms remain, worse than ever. I have some food intolerances that I never had before and will have to deal with for now as well.
Considering what I could be facing fom c diff, I am fortunate.
Have holidays to all!

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:03 pm

Great News!!!! Hopefully the IBS symtoms will fade with time. They usually do, but it may take a few months. Good luck and enjoy the holiday season!!! You have a lot to be thankful for!!!
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Diane d
Brand New Poster

Postby Diane d » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 pm

I am going to have a fecal implant this Tuesday ... I reshearched it and talked to many clinics and they have a 97%CDiff gone success rate ... I have suffered with c diff for 5 months and now it's time to get rid of this horrible thing! USA TODAY HAD A HUGE ARTICLE ON IT .... I will let you know how it works on me ... But it does work WITHOUT drugs or anti biotics ... Please please reshearch this .... It may sound weird but it makes sense after you read and find a doctor who does it ...

All of you with C Diff can go back to living a normal life IF you don't have other problems!
Blessings ...
Diane d

Diane d
Brand New Poster

Postby Diane d » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:10 pm

Sorry it's called a Fecal Transplant ....
Diane

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:45 am

Thank you for posting. Our administrator helped the reporter from USA Today get his information. The young girl in the article has her story on this site.
There are many posters here who have had FT. Some are successful...some not. I hope you have good luck and get rid of your c-diff infection. Keep us posted.
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:54 am

Diane,
FT's not as bad as it sounds. Worst thing is prep. High success rate but some develop IBS afterwards. About l out of 5 people develop IBS anyway. (See CDI - IBS.) See Doctors forum for list of docs. who do them. If your doc. isn't on list, would you get his/her permission to list him/her there? Best of luck.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:28 am

Yes Diane, the best of luck to you and hopefully the FT will end the nightmare of CDiff for you. We are pulling for you, keep us posted. Carol
CAROL

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”