sinus infection

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
angrry
New User

sinus infection

Postby angrry » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:57 am

Hello everyone. I haven't been here for a few years. I had c diff back in 2017 caused by keflex, it took 2 rounds of metro to cure it, although it took several months to get back to "normal". I was diagnosed with a sinus infection last week and the dr prescribed azithromycin 250mg for 5 days. I realize this is apparently low on the scale of antibotics that can cause cdiff, however I am absolutely terrified to take it.
I have been taking florastor daily since my cdiff infection and IF i decide to take the antibiotics I'll double the daily dose and was considering adding another probiotic such as culturelle to hopefully add to the defence. For now I will try OTC sinus meds, mometosone, montelukast and nasal rinses with a neti pot to try to eradicate the sinus infection. Sorry this has been so long winded, but has anyone taken azithromycin after a cdiff infection and been fine? Did anyone double their probiotics and find that it helped prevent a re-infection? Sorry I'm just really afraid of getting another cdiff infection as the one I had 6 years ago was terrible and knocked me sideways for such a long time. Thanks for reading.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: sinus infection

Postby NanciT » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:22 pm

It really impossible to know if you took the medication if you would get CDIFF again. I took Keflex....a year after I had CDIFF and it did not return. Jump forward several years and I landed in the ER and was givien IV antibiotics. Although my ID started me on Vanco, I did get CDIFF and had to do a Dificid taper.

I think you are doing everything right by trying everything you can to avoid antibiotics but there may come a point when you have to take them.

I hope the infection clears up soon

NanciT

angrry
New User

Postby angrry » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:22 pm

ty Nanci....keeping my fingers crossed

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:06 am

We have had posters who took it and did not relapse. I took it and also doxycycline and did not relapse.

angrry
New User

Postby angrry » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:25 am

ty beth. despite all the measures i have taken over the past week, the infection has shown no signs of improvement. I ended up taking the azithromycin this morning. I doubled my florastor and will take culturelle 3 hours after the antibiotics as well. To say I'm afraid is an understatement.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:27 am

Good luck. Hope it clears the infection. Those are miserable!

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:14 pm

Just piping up to add my support. Understand the fear but you may very well not relapse. Fingers crossed for you. I’m curious whether they took a swab before prescribing to see what the bug is?

angrry
New User

Postby angrry » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:30 pm

ty everyone. GtrGrl there was no swab. The dr is very aware of my previous cdiff infection so he went with what he feels is safe. Do I think it is?. not really..I dont think any antibiotic is safe anymore. I have 2 pills left...sinuses are clearing up...guts feel a little off...no pain like I had with cdiff...but it's early yet. I have a couple more weeks to be watchful I think.

angrry
New User

Postby angrry » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:41 pm

Hi again. Well my last dose of azithromycin was last Saturday. The sinus infection is gone. All went well and i thought I had made it through the antibiotics, until today that is. Lots of gut pressure and mild pain, gurgling, several trips to the bathroom, no D tho. I'll be keeping an eye on things and am hopeful it's not a relapse. I'll see how i am tomorrow. Definitely worried tho

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:37 am

How long does azithromycin stay in your system?
Azithromycin will be in your system for around 15.5 days, after the last dose. Azithromycin has an elimination half-life of 68 hours. The prolonged terminal half-life is thought to be due to extensive uptake and subsequent release of drug from tissues.Aug 17, 2022

It is still working and can give you side effects for a while. I got D from it, but not c diff. I would not worry just yet.

angrry
New User

Postby angrry » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:55 am

ty Beth....It's just a wait and see thing now...still having some pain today....pretty gassy...still no d. I'll continue with the probiotics and see if that helps. i'll keep you posted if things go south

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”