C.diff spores

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Steffi
Contributor

C.diff spores

Postby Steffi » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:33 am

Hi all,

Is it true that cdiff spores remain in the body forever - for life once a person has been infected with cdiff- no matter if his tests results are negative...
I know it would be difficult to answer such a question, but still - I will appreciate if you share the information regarding this topic that you have from different sources...please

Thank you!

Warm regards and take care!
Steffi

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: C.diff spores

Postby beth22 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:44 am

Some people, like me, are carriers. If I take antibiotics, chances are that the spores that lie dormant in my body will regenerate. But, this does not mean that you will get c difficile. Many people have c diff spores inside of them, but unless conditions are right - antibiotic use, immuno-compromised, etc., they don't ever develop c difficile. That is what I have been told by doctors.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:23 am

Agree with Beth and will add that C.diff is a normal gut bacteria that many people carry.
Its NOT a disease.
The disease is c.diff colitis and that's caused by an overgrowth of c.diff.
Even then it's only a disease if your body reacts to it, that's called" host response" and if theres no host response theres no disease regardless of what a test says.
Hence Drs must look at symptoms first and suspect c.diff is causing them and only then test to see if their initial hunch is correct.

Steffi
Contributor

Postby Steffi » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:12 am

Thank you Roy, Beth22 !

Lissaucd
Regular Contributor

Postby Lissaucd » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:07 am

Great Info! Does that mean, if you are a carrier you are always producing contagious spores? Forgive me this is all new to me and I’m still trying to understand it all!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:49 am

A lot of bacteria in stool is "contagious" if it is ingested, but normally people don't do that. We all carry a variety of bacteria and many people probably carry c diff and don't even know it because it does not give them symptoms. No one in my house ever got c diff from me and I had many relapses and am told I am a carrier.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”