Aid in Obtaining Medications

Organized Answers to Frequently Asked Questions. Only Moderators may post here.
Bobbie
Administrator

Aid in Obtaining Medications

Postby Bobbie » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:00 pm

This is from the May l6, 2003, edition of [i]The Kansas City Star: [/i]

A new online database will make it easier for consumers to access patient assistance programs that make available about l,400 drugs free to patients without prescription drug coverage.

The longstanding patient assistance programs are sponsored by the pharmaceutical industry and biotechnology companies.

Those who need help in obtaining medicines can log on to http://www.helpingpatients.org to fill out a form and receive a list of programs for which they may qualify. The online database was established by the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America.

ONLINE: Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, http://www.phrma.org
Last edited by Bobbie on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: updating

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:02 pm

Millie contributed the following info. Thanks Millie.

By millie (216.250.160.230 - 216.250.160.230) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 04:07 pm:

Bobbie, here is the link for the drug shortage page: http://www.ashp.org/shortage/index.cfm? ... en=7625561
Last edited by Bobbie on Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:04 pm

Millie submitted this. Thanks, Millie.

Bobbie--I've made notes here (in red); these are all current programs, and I have a new one also, for generic drugs http://www.rxoutreach.com/en/ Generic medications (55 of them) are available at a 6 month supply for $30. There are income limits, one example is for a family of four with an income of about $48,000, or up to 250% of the federal poverty level. I think there are now many different programs like this.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:21 pm

I read a recent article about assistance in getting meds. I've checked the sites out, and they are "good." Only one the last one mentions Vanco., but check them out yourself. Some of you are on other meds. and might qualify for assistance with them. Some have an age limitiation, and some have a yearly income limitation, but they are worth trying.

Here they are:

www.helpingpatients.org
www.benefitscheckup.org
www.rxassist.org
www.medicare

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:44 am

The Partnership for Prescription Assistance brings together America’s pharmaceutical companies, doctors, other health care providers, patient advocacy organizations and community groups to help qualifying patients who lack prescription coverage get the medicines they need through the public or private program that’s right for them. Many will get them free or nearly free. Its mission is to increase awareness of patient assistance programs and boost enrollment of those who are eligible. Through this site, the Partnership for Prescription Assistance offers a single point of access to more than 475 public and private patient assistance programs, including more than 150 programs offered by pharmaceutical companies. To access the Partnership for Prescription Assistance by phone, you can call toll-free, 1-888-4PPA-NOW (1-888-477-2669).

Vancocin is not covered, but many other meds. are.

web site www.pparx.org

millie
Regular Contributor

[color=red]FREE & LOW COST MEDICAL CARE AND PRESCRIPTION

Postby millie » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:47 am

I recently ran across 2 "books" that you can downloaded and printed, one for "Free and Low Cost Prescription Drugs" (48 pages) and the other for "Free and Low Cost Medical Care" (64 pages). The drug book lists nearly a hundred different drug manufacturers, with toll-free numbers; there is also a huge listing of different medications, all cross-referenced with the company that makes them. Drug discount cards are also covered. This is the most comprehensive thing I have come across. I printed one for my doctor, who often encounters patients who cannot afford medications they need. However, this book is not up to date as to the company that now manufacturers Vanco--it still shows Lilly. The "medical care" book is listed by state, and both books are available in 3 different formats, including PDF files.

[/url]http://www.institutedc.org/download.htm[url]

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:52 am

Timica had problems getting her insurance company to pay for Vanco. Here's her post:

Timaca
Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:55 pm

I got another check from my insurance company for over $400 for the vanco for the C. diff. They ended up paying for ALL of it, instead of the 10% that they were covering.

Amazing what a letter to the state insurance commission can do!

Lauren
Administrator

Postby Lauren » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:13 pm

This was contributed by sks001 (Sandy). Thank you, Sandy!

The following is a great web site. It gives the toll-free 800 numbers for every pharmaceutical company and the name of the program. They even have a section on NATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR RARE DISORDERS (NORD) with a list of specialty meds.

http://www.rxassist.org/pap-info/default.cfm

Perhaps if a Site Administrator reads this post they will place this web site under the proper topic and the ViroPharma Patient Assistance Program toll free number 1-866-694-2547 as the ViroPharma web site only gives their long-distance number.

Bobbie
Administrator

Update on Viropharma Asisstance Program on 02-19-10

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Kathy posted the original info. on August l7, 2005. The updated info. is "bolded."

ViroPharma recently purchased oral Vancocin from Eli Lilly. They have a patient assistance program to help defray the cost of Vanco. Here's the contact information.

Vancocin® capsule Patient Assistance Program: 1-866-694-2547 I just called this number, and it is still "good." (02-l9-10) Call it for more info. re. your eligibility.

Katy posted this info.:

I just wanted to tell you that I have used the ViroPharma Patient Assistance Program for Vancocin and it was a God-send! My first purchase of a 14 day supply I had paid for myself, which cost me $622.00!! I was STUNNED to say the least. From my past experience with other drug companies I figured that surely there was a patient assistance program through this drug company. So I got the box and started my "research" online. Sure enough, ViroPharma has a program that worked for me. I have limited income, due to a disability so I am low income. My medication for the "next round" of Vancocin didn't cost me one penny! I was so grateful.

I am posting the web site address below, if you'd like to share it with the others on the board. I know it saved my life - and pocketbook! And all I had to do was print out the form right off the web site and take it to my doctor to have him fill out his portion, and then he FAXED it to the company. Within 5 days or so the medication arrived at my doctor's office for me to pick up. It was wonderful! There is no way I could have afforded to continue this medication without the help of the Patient Assistance Program that ViroPharma offers. Here is the web site where the information and form can be found:

http://www.vancocin-us.com/patient_assi ... ogram.html

This hyperlink no longer works. Google Viropharmincorporatedpatientassistance program instead. There is an online app. you can FAX for asssistance with Vanco. You'll have to check out the requirements for assistance.

Roy contributed this hyperlink with new info.:

http://www.viropharma.com/products/pati ... ogram.aspx

Return to “CDI - C. diff. Info. All You Want to Know and More”