Acid Reflux or GERD (Includes Info. about PPI's)

Organized Answers to Frequently Asked Questions. Only Moderators may post here.
Bobbie
Administrator

Acid Reflux or GERD (Includes Info. about PPI's)

Postby Bobbie » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:50 pm

Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:13 am

To those of you with acid reflux or GERD:

I've had it twice. The first time was after I had pneumonia, and the allergist put me on a strong dose of prednisone that it afffected my esophagus. I took a PPI for a year and then stopped without a problem. Last year, I had similar symptoms, and an upper GI showed a hiatal hernia. I tried several PPI's and wound up on Aciphex. There are different forms of PPI's, and although most come from the same "family" of drugs, some work better than others for different people.

At times I am so miserable I take one in the morning and another at night. This is the maximum dosage.

I am a big proponent of exercise as I have osteoporosis. and it also helps stress. Although the doctor said I could continue to do any exercises, I finally went to a physical therapist. Best money I ever spent. She said to be sure and exercise, but some exercises are "no no's." Don't bend over (squat instead) or do situps or any other exercises that put pressure on the abdomen. If your doctor writes a script, your insurance will usually cover most of your visits to the PT.

Food can be important. Try to avoid excess alcohol, coffee, chocolate, tomatoes, orange juice, or other acid foods. Prop the head of your bed up -- it helps immensely. Don't just use extra pillows on top (put them under the mattress). Don't eat for three to four hours before going to bed. There is also an excellent book called Eating for Acid Reflux by Jill Sklar and Annabel Cohen. You can find it at your local library or buy it (trade paperback).

I take one Aciphex in the morning, and if I have problems in the middle of the night, I take Mylanta Supreme. ( It doesn't contain aluminum). However, Mylanta Supreme contains magnesium which can cause diarrhea. Some of the other liquid anti acids contain aluminum which had "leach bones. One alternative is Tums. Sometimes I dissolve two in a glass of water and drink the mixture in the middle of the night.

If I have wine with dinner, I take a Tums first.

Remember, however, everyone is different. Once again, it's a series of trial and error.
Last edited by Bobbie on Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:51 pm

Beverly submitted this previously.

Beverly on Monday, March 08, 2004

My pharmacist says that when you lay on your left side gravity helps keep the lower esophageal sphincter closed. It is through the l.e.s. that stomach acid seeps through. This is how the acid gets into your esophagus and causes the GERD symptoms. I think I may have had some symptoms of GERD before c-diff, but the Vancocin has made it worse. Or maybe the c-diff..who knows for sure. My pharmacist seems to think its the Vanco.

Why did your doctor take you off precacid? Does it react with c-diff in some way? I am really tired of this "lump" in my throat...I don't really have severe heartburn..just a feeling of fullness or as if I swallowed a rock! It it's not one thing...it's another.

Am reading a John Hopkins Health book called "Healing Heartburn". Has good diet tips. Same as most people know...don't eat three hrs before going to bed...elevate your bed..no foods with acid such as: chocolate (I'm a chocaholic!), coffee, tea, tomatoes, citrus, peppermint, spearamint, fatty foods, alcohol, cigarette smoking. I am trying over the counter pepcic first to see if that helps. If not will move on to prilosec and then RX drugs.
Last edited by Bobbie on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updating

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:33 pm

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:59 pm

My doctor prescribed a new PPI yesterday with the instructions "Take 30 min. before eating." I've never had these instructions before, and I've been on several. (I usually take them 10 min. before eating.) I called a pharmacist, and he confirmed that most PPI's are most effective when taken 30 min. before a meal.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:42 pm

Kelleigh just provided this info. re. acid reflux.

http://www.healingwell.com

Also, Kelleigh said,

However, before I try any of these endoscopic minor surgeries (off the table in an hour and back to work), I'm going to try something else that I read about and passed on to a few of you. In the Alternative Therapy magazine back in 2001, there was an article regarding a test study at Duke University on GERD patients. It was reported on in Alternative Therapy magazine.

The five patients participating were all put on a low carb, low gas diet starting at 20 grams of carbs per day. At the end of the week, all were free of GERD symptoms and upon examination, the LES was once again working properly. They were guessing that it was some hormone released that made the LES close again. However, now another scenario has been explained that it is the lowered amount of carbs which cause gases in the stomach with digestion, that has made the LES in GERD folks work properly again. After a week on 20 grams a day, the diet is slowly raised to 70 grams a day of carbs without any problems resulting and remaining GERD free, even with drinking wine and coffee and smoking cigarettes. Now another doctor, albeit a microbiologist has written a book on his horrors with GERD until he contacted the doctors in this study at Duke and tried it himself. He cured himself of horrible GERD. He's now written a book on everything he's found out, and how it's worked for him. You can go to his website at http://www.heartburncured.com for his book, HEARTBURN CURED. His name is Dr. Norm Robillard and the book is fairly cheap. I'd say it's worth the 20 bucks to see if it helps and if it does, to be off PPI's would be an absolutely wonderful result.

I hope any of you suffering with GERD will check it out. If all of the people in the study at Duke were cured, it's got to work for a lot of people. And remember this, red wine only has 3 mg. of carbs per glass, and they sell low carb ice cream now that tastes good. That in itself makes me want to immediately try it upon receiving my copy of this book.

Allison
Administrator

Interesting bit of info on H2 receptor blockers

Postby Allison » Mon May 22, 2006 9:11 pm

Posted: Tue May 23, 2006 by Rose Post subject: Interesting bit of info on H2 receptor blockers

Hi all,

I just learned something about an H2 receptor blocker that I thought I'd pass along for anyone who may benefit from the information:

The three most commonly used of these meds seem to be Pepsid, Zantac and Tagamet. I just learned from both my GI doc and two pharmacists that Tagamet is much much harsher on the liver than the other two, and is no more effective in treating symptoms. In fact, it doesn't even last as long as Zantac, for example. One of the two pharmacists I spoke with went so far as to say he strongly discourages customers from using this particular brand unless they have no other options precisely because it seems to be harder on the body for no greater benefit.

Just an fyi...

Rose2

Bobbie
Administrator

PPI's & Calcium

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:19 pm

There has been recent info. indicating PPI's can affect you calcium aborption. I had a study done at a local pharmacy school. Here is one of their suggestions.

Because you are taking an acid blocker, the Aciphex, a calcium citrate product like this is the best choice for you, as opposed to using a calcium carbonate product, which doesn’t absorb well when used with acid blockers. We recommend continuing this supplement – between the calcium you are getting in your diet and supplemental in intake, you should be getting 1500-2000 mg per day.

I also wait a couple of hours to take calcium after taking PPI. Since I have severe osteoporosis, this was great news re. the PPI but w/o it, I would be miserable (acid reflux/hiatal hernia). Taking Actonel for osteoporosis -- which has other restrictions.

Which is worse? The disease or the cure?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:55 pm

A former poster, Kelleig N. had surgery for acid reflux/gerd.

She Emailed me: Hill Repair is the better surgery for GERD over the nissen.

For those of you considering surgery (Kelleigh developed acid reflux after a siege with C. diff.), you can PM her on this site, & she will answer your questions. Remember, surgery is never without risks. She had GERD for a long time, tried different diets, & finally decided on surgery after a lot of research.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Acid Reflux or GERD (Includes Info. about PPI's)

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:20 am

After years of being on a PPI for acid reflux and a hiatal hernia, I switched to a generic form of an acid reducer - Zantac ( generic is Ranidine - l50 mg bid). Not only does this control my acid reflux better than the PPI, but it has fewer side effects. Several reports have linked PPI's to C. diff. (acid reducers somewhat but not as much). Also, PPI's have been linked to bone loss.

There were many links to Medscape regarding the use of PPI's but the links have now expired. Medscape requires you to join and input your password to read articles. It is a good source of information, however, and easy to join.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Acid Reflux or GERD (Includes Info. about PPI's)

Postby Bobbie » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:28 am

Beth supplied this info.

Prep for an endoscopy does not involve cleaning out like a colonoscopy. You must fast overnight prior to the procedure and I believe that is the only preparation. Here's a link you can check out for further information on the procedure:
http://www.gastro.org/patient-center/pr ... -endoscopy.

Return to “CDI - C. diff. Info. All You Want to Know and More”