Anti-Fungal Medications (Yeast Infections)

Organized Answers to Frequently Asked Questions. Only Moderators may post here.
Bobbie
Administrator

Anti-Fungal Medications (Yeast Infections)

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:55 pm

Some of this info is old but might still apply. Research. See NanciT's post. Probably more revlevant.

Allison
Site Admin
Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006

Systemic anti-fungal agents have been known to contribute to bacterial overgrowth. Never, ever take any meds (That includes CAM supplements) without the go-ahead from your doc! A second never, ever: Don't self diagnose!

Lauren
Site Admin
Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006

Difulcan can make it worse. You want to avoid that if you've got c-diff.
Last edited by Bobbie on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: updating

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:11 am

For anti-fungal with cdiff or fear of cdiff:

Nystatin for oral thrush (mouthwash) and any of the OTC topical anti-yeasts for vaginal infections (monistat, etc).

Stay away from diflucan if possible....systemic - therefore can upset microbial balance in GI tract.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:22 pm

rkbump5

I have some serious Thrush going on as a result of the Flagyl. Am using Nystatin (YUCK) now on my second ten day course. I just couldn't figure out why it was not getting better. I went online and read somewhere that Lysterine was used in AIDS patients with Thrush, so I thought well, maybe that would help. I don't have AIDS but figured it wouldn't hurt. So I had been using it. Well, I just got off the phone with my doc who said NEVER Lysterine when you have Thrush as it kills all of the "good" yeast that your mouth needs and will not let the Thrush go away.

Bobbie
Administrator

Home Test for Yeast Infections in Mouth

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:19 pm

Stephanie Wood submitted this info.

I got it too! Haven't went to get it checked out but know I have it. Your tongue feels hairy. It is coated white. Sugar and starchy food seams to aggravate it. I eat lots of garlic and put bragg's apple cider vinegar on mine. Ahh! makes it feel so much better. Remember to change your tooth brush. Or you will just keep reinfecting your self. There is a test you can do to see if it is yeast in the mouth here is the web-site

http://www.stopyeast.com/saliva.html

I did it within minutes I had the strings. I did it before when I was being my normal health nut self. Nothing happened so I know this to be true!!
Stephanie

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:55 pm

Jodie submitted this info.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 Post subject: Went to ENT doc today for thrush

The Diflucan wasn't doing a thing for me, so I went to my ENT at the urging of my ID doc and he gave me the best prescription ever. It's an old time medicine, a mixture of Nystatin, Benedryl, and Maalox. You store it in the fridge, swish and gargle 4 x's per day, and that's it. The burning has stopped already and after the Nystatin alone and the Diflucan, this is a blessing.

Just wanted to pass it on to any others who might be suffering, they can mention it to their doctors.

Bobbie
Administrator

Another Info. Re. Anti-fungal Infections/Thrush

Postby Bobbie » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:41 pm

Posted by Whitepine

Nystatin has helped me when I had thrush. I did the swish and swallow powder mixed with water. You might consider a Dakin's solution if you do not see results with the Nystatin. Dakin's is diluted bleach rinse followed by acidophilus, its harsh but it does work!

Sheila posted:

Here's the recipe for “Dakin's Solution” to use as a mouth rinse for thrush:

Mix 1 teaspoon of household liquid bleach (Clorox)
to 4 ounces of water. Hold a small amount in the
mouth while brushing, then spit out. Usually
only needed once, but may repeat.

Moderators' Note: Before I used bleach in my mouth, I would contact my own doctor, dentist, and/or periodontist to find out possible effects on teeth and mouth. Again, we don't recommend any treatment listed on this site -- just report what worked for some. Always, doublecheck everything.

Bobbie
Administrator

Bacterial Infection or Yeast Infection

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 20, 2008 11:42 am

CIDiff contributed this info.

If a bacterial infection is suspected rather than yeast, make sure an antibiogramme is done. Have an antibiogramme done from a swab to test which ABs work for your problem if it is not a yeast infection but indeed bacterial. Susceptibility testing is a must in our cases - make sure you don't go for broad spectrum ABs without knowing what you are treating - unless it feels as if the infection is moving upwards which is when doctors sometimes decide to "fly blind" to prevent things from getting even worse. Make sure the lab tests the "less likely to cause c diff / middle of the road ABs" from the list here on the site as well - not all of them are part of standard antibiogramme testing. There is topical metronidazole cream which works for some things. It is not as systemic as the oral AB version plus as we know works against c diff anyway.

Return to “CDI - C. diff. Info. All You Want to Know and More”