Traveling Tips

Organized Answers to Frequently Asked Questions. Only Moderators may post here.
Bobbie
Administrator

Traveling Tips

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:56 am

I traveled often when I had C diff. If you feel up to,it, go. Do take the precautions MJ described. Also, airplanes are reservoirs of germs.

I wipe all the parts of my plane seat - tray, air rests, etc. - down with bleach wipes. You can buy them at Amazon and some Home Depots. Do a search on the site for more info on them. The ones you buy in most stores are not effective. BTW, I never did this until our last trip and, of course, humiliated by son and husband.

I sit as far back on the plane as possible - too many instances of people coughing on me and subsequent pneumonia. A doctor advised me to do so.

This is probably "overkill" but a microbiologist told me years ago to not take ice In your drinks on a plane because it's from local water and sometimes "sits" in the ice bin a long time. He also said to not drink local water - especially if you are traveling to a foreign country. He said even though most water is safe, every city treats its water differently - which is fine for most people but not for ones with GI problems. Coffee on planes is "iffy." I do drink coffee but drink only water they pour from a bottle of water and without ice. I do drink wine!!! When we go to the UK, I have my son buy bottled water that says "purified" and drink only that water. I do brush my teeth with the local water because "enough is enough" but use bottled water if you are concerned.

If you are on a c diff med - Vanco, Flagyl, or Dificid - take extra with you.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Traveling Tips

Postby Bobbie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:11 pm

Helio News - 08/15 - Travel and Infections

Postby Bobbie » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:50 pm

Simple ID prevention practices crucial for international travelers

http://www.healio.com/infectious-diseas ... ase%20news

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:13 pm

You don't have to be a germophobe to want to slip on rubber gloves when you enter an airplane cabin.

A new study confirms once again that various surfaces in the cabin of a commercial plane have many times the amount of bacteria than an average kitchen counter. But the latest study found that surfaces in airport terminals can have even higher germ counts than those in the planes.

The highest number of colony-forming units of bacteria per square inch were found on those increasingly popular self-serve ticketing kiosks that are popping up in terminals around the country, including Los Angeles International Airport.

Folks from the website Insurancequotes.com conducted swab tests on the surfaces of three major airports and three airlines and calculated the bacteria or fungal cell counts for several surfaces. The website declined to disclose the names of the airports and airlines that were tested.

The highest germ counts in the planes were on the flush button on the toilets — 95,145 colony-forming units, followed by 11,595 CFUs on the tray tables and 1,116 CFUs on the seat buckles, according to the study. The typical kitchen counter measures 361 CFU, according to the National Science Foundation.

The highest germ counts in the terminals were found on the screens of airport kiosks, 253,857 CFUs, followed by 21,630 CFUs on bench armrests and 19,181 on drinking fountain buttons, the study said.

Nearly three years ago, a similar study said the buttons on the drinking fountains in airport terminals had the highest germ count. Since then, airlines including American, Southwest and United have added hundreds of new self-serve kiosks to speed up the check-in process.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:47 am

Article on airplane travel

If you get a cold without fail after every flight, you might be sitting in the wrong seat. Now, we can't promise you complete immunity (after all, germs will be germs), but you can apparently increase your odds of avoiding infection if you sit in a window seat and then stay there for the entire flight.

Return to “CDI - C. diff. Info. All You Want to Know and More”