Nutrition -- Includes Recipes

Organized Answers to Frequently Asked Questions. Only Moderators may post here.
administrator
Administrator

Nutrition -- Includes Recipes

Postby administrator » Thu Oct 11, 2001 7:35 pm

Sam Porter, the site's original owner, posted much of the first part of this beginning with the next paragraph. Other posters have added to it throughout the years. Usually, doctors put patient on a BRAT diet - bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. After you start to heal, add some of the following gradually. Eventually you should be able to resume your normal diet.

Site Disclaimer: Do whatever your doctor tells you to do and nothing more. We are not giving you medical instructions here or treatment advice. By using this site - you agree that you are under the care of a doctor and are using this site for reference to ask your doctor questions only... why do we need lawyers...?

You need to keep a balanced diet - so here's what worked for my wife.
Rice (preferably brown rice)
Yogurt (a must for building your gut flora - with active cultures)
Green vegetables (you need the health benefits & the greener the better) Chicken (not spicy - just plain old chicken breasts - skinless to cut the grease)
Bananas
Chicken soup with vegetables - keeps you hydrated and has good stuff in it.
Lots of good old H20 - water!

Breakfast? Try bran cereal - "kashi"..., bananas, watch out for the milk though. It can irritate some of you. Ever had cereal with water? If you can tolerate it - you could try soy or rice milk with your cereal. There is a brand that tastes a lot like milk to me - it's called "Silk". It's a soy milk and comes in a blue carton.

You have to sacrifice some things to get better.

What to avoid for now:
Avoid red meat (just for now) it's harder to digest
Avoid high sugars
Avoid caffeine/This means no soda pop & no coffee - or you're asking for trouble!
No pizza
No ice cream
No burgers
No Mexican food N
No Italian food

You have to get creative. Try reintroducting foods (only healthy ones!) one at a time to see how you handle them. Best to eat at home. Be boring. Boring is good for you!

I have said it before many times, "change your lifestyle". Your body needs all the help it can get. Your body cannot help you if you don't help it. My wife ate nothing but chicken, rice, broccoli, yogurt, bananas & water. That was hard! I was right there with her. Eventually we got used to it and are thankful - because now we continue to eat healthy and have never been healthier.

I would experiment with some fruits. "Bulking up" is only part of it. Your body will naturally bulk up if you eat healthy. You cannot continue to eat the same old stuff you used to and expect to get rid of c. diff if you are having many recurrences.

Again, this is not treatment or medical advice. Don't do anything you see here - only do what your doctor tells you to do. That's our disclaimer. Go see your doctor, show this info to them and then get their ok before you do anything shown here.

administrator
Administrator

Postby administrator » Tue Oct 23, 2001 7:26 pm

Almost forgot: You can drink Gatorade or "Pedialyte" to replenish electrolytes after having diarrhea... This may help your strength as well.

Bobbie

More Hints About Diet

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 26, 2002 3:25 am

Be cautious about dairy products for a while because GI problems can affect your ability to digest them and cause additional problems. Reintroduce them slowly into your diet. Watch your sugar intake (check the "hidden" sugar in foods -- read the labels) because most C. diff. experts think that sugar "feeds" C. diff. Some people have problems tolerating fats. Limit alcohol and coffee for a while.

Everyone is different when it comes to tolerating various foods when and after they have C. diff. You have to experiment. I was VERY cautious for a long time -- bananas, rice, pasta, etc. and lost lots of weight (which I didn't need to lose). When I started adding more regular foods, I gained weight, and it didn't seem to make my C. diff. better or worse. Although I eat out a lot, I try to eat a varied and healthy diet and seldom eat "junk food." I make a lot of vegetable soups and eat a lot of chicken and fish (salmon and orange roughy). Try one of the indoor grills. It's a healthy, fast way to cook and great for both chicken and fish. I saute different vegetables in olive oil and garlic. Olive oil has a lot of health benefits but, if you don't already use it, go slowly at first. I try to eat an apple a day (keeps the doctor away) and drink 8 ounces of cranbery juice. Add raw apple slowly, however. DO NOT drink apple juice as it had be dehydrating. Applesauce is okay.

Take a good multi-vitamin (not mega-vitamin) and calcium if you're avoiding dairy products, and take them with food to avoid a possible stomach upset. Check with your doctor or pharmacist about a multi-vitamin. Centrum is probably as good as any. For people who can't tolerate vitamins/supplements, some companies are now making "chewy or gummy" vitamins which are sometimes better tolerated.

Be sure and drink enough water to avoid dehyration. If you are losing weight, try Ensure or Boast -- the plus ones have more fat and about 100 more calories a can. The only one I could stand was very cold vanilla. For me, the best approach was "Everything in moderation, nothing to excess," but again, everyone is different.

Check out these hints or any changes in your diet with your personal physician.
Last edited by Bobbie on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Update

Bobbie

Nutrition

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 27, 2002 1:17 am

Friday contributed this info.

Unfortunately, I think finding the right diet is a matter of trial and error. I have read, however, that eating lots of carbohydrates is bad because they break down to sugar in the gut and bacteria thrive on sugar. The alternative is to eat more protein, which breaks down into amino acids rather than sugar. Tofu and other soy products are great, low-fat sources of protein. Fiber and seeds in fruit and veggies are hard to digest. Consider cooking and peeling your vegetables if you really have a hankering for them, but stay away from broccoli, cauliflower and the like since they can really cause lots of gas. Also, steer clear of corn and lettuce, which contain insoluble fiber (you know the adage about foods "coming out" like they go in)! I suggest you try to find a really good multivitamin to ensure you are at least getting the minimum RDA of everything you need. Talk with your naturopath--I am sure he or she has some good ideas.
Last edited by Bobbie on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobbie

Green Tea

Postby Bobbie » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:18 pm

Yoly provided this information.

"I have not posted in a while. I have fought CD since April 2002. I was on Flagyl 250 three times a day. Well two months ago I stop drinking coffee and started drinking Green Tea. Well yesterday I got my Consumer Report magazine and it had a artical on Green Teas. It spoke of the HUGE healing properties of the intestinal tract.It said green tea De-toxifies the intestinal tract and since C-Diff is a toxin spore the word Toxin got my attention. So A light bulb went off and I thought maybe the green tea is what has finally got me off the Flagy.

I am three weeks totally off the Flagyl and doing great. Consumer Reports talks about the best Televions. They recommend the three best tasting teas. I am now using "Celsetial Season"(sp?) Authentic Green tea with no mix of other teas in it. You must drink at least three 8oz cups a day for effect. I am going to try to find the brand they rated the highest is #1 TAZO china green (loose)tips, #2 is Ten Ren Dragon Well green tea, #3 Tazo china green tea bags.When brewing tea never use boiling water . Use water just before boiling point, boiling water will cook the leaves. Only steep for the recommended amout of time (usually 2-5 minutes)over steeping will not make it stronger just more bitter.I do use a pinch of honey in mine,honey is a natural antibiotic. I hope the the green tea helps other as much as it has helped me. I know how it feels to be at your wits ends with C-Diff. It is worth a try. At 30 cents a cup why not."
Last edited by Bobbie on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bobbie

Antibiotic-Free Foods

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 14, 2003 2:29 pm

One of the concerns about bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics is the fact that a lot of poultry and beef are raised on antibiotics which could be contributing to the problem. Whole Foods Market raises beef and pountry without using "artificial hormones or antibiotics," without artifical ingredients or the use of pesticides in their food, and are "minimally processed." The company also stresses their animals and poultry are raised in "clean living space." Other organic stores (and somes grocery stores) do the same thing. Whole Foods has their organic products labeled as such, and the organic food market is now more structured and monitored. Be sure and read labels, however, and remember that products without additives (such as preservatives) are usually more perishable and require safe and clean handling. They also are usually more expensive.
Last edited by Bobbie on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bobbie

Stir-fried Veggies

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:41 pm

March 09, 2005
This recipe can be adjusted for different health issues:

1 to 2 Tbsp. olive oil
Several cloves of garlic (minced)
Fresh ginger root (minced)

Saute garlic and ginger in olive oil. Add fresh chopped veggies -- whatever you want -- and sprinkle with ground pepper before serving. I use: celery, onions, carrots, broccol, zuccini red, green and yellow peppers, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes.

Garlic, onions, black pepper, and tomatoes can be bad for acid reflux, but I've found I can now tolerate them in small amounts. Same with tomatoes; sun-dried don't seem to bother me. Ginger is good for soothing the stomach. Broccoli can be difficult to digest, so go slowly. This also makes a great veggie sandwich.
Last edited by Bobbie on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Amy's Recipe for BOB Smoothie

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:05 pm

Amy submited this recipe.

I have been drinking a Blended Organic Balance (BOB) smoothie every day for a nutritious drink that is filling and provides good carbohydrates, protein, essential fats, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.

"This is eating to live, versus living to eat."

BOB Ingredients

1 T Flax seed for essential Omega 3 fatty acids
1 banana for potassium
1 c berry blend (frozen blueberries, raspberries, and marionberries) for antioxidants
1 c Stoneyfield Farm plain yogurt for calcium and friendly gut bacteria
1 c Soy or Fortified Rice Milk for calcium
1/8 t cinnamon for diabetes
1 t Brewers Yeast for B-complex and folic acid
1 t Just Barley juice powder for vitamins, minerals, and diabetes
1 T raw honey from your local area for allergies
1 T Hi-Pro for protein and digestive enzymes
1 T Nectar D'or for electrolytes and trace minerals - iron

Night before place flax seed in blender and top with just enough water to cover to extract essential oils

Next morning add soy milk, fruit, and supplements and blend!
Last edited by Bobbie on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bobbie
Administrator

"Smart Chicken"

Postby Bobbie » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:00 pm

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:11 pm Post subject: "Smart Chicken"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There have been some studies that say that many people are developing resistance to antibiotics (thus requiring new and stronger ones) because of all the antibiotics used in raising poultry, cattle, and pigs.

Some stores have evidently caught on to this. They used to be available only at health markets such as Whole Foods and Wild Oats where they were somewhat higher in price. Now, I've been able to get these products at regular stores such as Hy-Vee, Hen House, and Dillon's (Bakers or Gerbes in some locations).

Smart Chicken -- MBA Brand is "air chilled, no added water, all natural, vegetable grain fed, raised without antibiotics."

It's worth a shot since C. differs need to avoid antibiotics whenever we can.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:18 pm

This is from a consumer health letter sponsored by the Harvard School of Medicine:

Protect Yourself From Food-Borne Illness

E. coli bacteria gets the headlines, but the CDC estimates that there are more than 250 food-borne diseases causing as many as 80 million cases of food poisoning each year.

Food-borne illness isn't a seasonal problem, but many of our favorite summertime foods — and the ways we prepare them — serve up the perfect opportunity for the nearly 80 million cases of food poisoning that occur each year in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Most of these cases cause little more than some temporary abdominal cramps, mild diarrhea and/or vomiting, but some food-borne illnesses cause severe diarrhea, liver disease or neurologic complications, resulting in nearly 5,000 deaths each year.

Most cases of food poisoning result from ingesting Norwalk viruses or bacteria such as salmonella, Campylobacter jejuni or E. coli. (There are hundreds of strains of E. coli: Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli causes the most cases of traveler's diarrhea, and E. coli 0157:H7 was responsible for a rash of deaths in 1993 among children who ate hamburgers at a fast-food chain.)

The classic examples of summertime food poisoning caused by bacteria result from time and temperature abuse — the undercooked burger taken off the barbecue too early, or the potato salad that's been left in the sun too long. Bacteria aren't the only problem. Other food-borne illnesses are caused by bacteria and viruses that are passed on unwashed hands.

This summer, take the following precautions:

Any meats, and especially ground meats, need to be cooked thoroughly enough so their juices run clear; even then, you should cook them for a few more minutes. Use a thermometer when cooking. Roasts and steaks should be cooked to at least 145 degrees Fahrenheit. Ground meat, as in hamburger, should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Poultry should be cooked to an internal temperature of 180 degrees. Fish should be cooked until it looks opaque and at least an internal temperature of 145 degrees.

When making summer salads, refrigerate them after preparation and keep them cold until you serve them. The sun and heat allow illness-causing bacteria in potato salads to proliferate; they can double in as little as seven to 20 minutes and make toxins that can cause food poisoning.

Safer Food Preparation
Make salads first. Many people want to prepare the meat for cooking before they start their salad, but uncooked beef, turkey and chicken are likely to be contaminated — and their juices can soil a cutting board used to prepare other foods.
Better: First prepare salads and other foods less likely to be contaminated with food-borne illness-causing bacteria and parasites.

Scrub your cutting board. It's common practice to run a cutting board under water.
Better: Scrub it with detergent or run it through the hot water cycle of your dishwasher after each use. Simply rinsing off the juices isn't enough to stop food-borne illness.

Clean with paper towels. People who wipe their counters repeatedly with the same cloth rag after they finish preparing a meal are asking for trouble.
Better: Do your cleanup with a paper towel that should be thrown away. If you want to use a cloth towel, place it in the washer after each use.

Shop wisely

Don't buy bent or dented cans.
Don't buy cans that bulge out at the top or bottom.
Don't buy cracked, leaky or broken jars.
Check expiration dates on packaged foods, and never buy outdated food.
Don't buy cracked eggs.
Store safely
Check the temperature of your freezer and refrigerator. Freezer temperature should be below freezing (0 degrees F or -18 degrees C), and refrigerator temperature should be 40 degrees F (4 degrees C) or less.
Freeze or refrigerate perishables immediately.
Store eggs in the body of the refrigerator in their original carton, not on the door which is warmer.
Wrap raw meat and poultry so they can't leak juices onto other foods.
Store leftovers in tight containers. Shallow dishes are best because they allow for quick and even cooling.
Check stored food for signs of spoilage, and throw away any food that looks or smells "funny."
Don't over-pack refrigerator or freezer. Air needs to circulate around the stored food.
Keep seafood in the refrigerator or freezer until needed.
Refrigerate hot foods within two hours after cooking. If foods stand out for longer than two hours, throw them away.
Use leftovers within three to five days. After that, throw them away.
Use uncooked beef and poultry within one to two days after thawing.
Avoid cross-contamination
Use one cutting board for raw meat and poultry, and a separate cutting board for hot, cooked meat and vegetables.
Wash hands and cooking utensils thoroughly in soap and hot water after touching raw meat or poultry, and before handling any other food.
Don't put cooked meats or poultry on a plate that held raw meat or poultry unless the plate has been thoroughly cleaned.
Wash kitchen counters and cutting boards thoroughly with soap after preparing raw meat or poultry.
Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold
Don't let frozen foods, including meat and poultry, defrost on the kitchen counter at room temperature. Let them defrost slowly in the refrigerator, or use the microwave.
Cook all meats thoroughly. Beef should be brown or gray in the middle, not pink or rare. Chicken should have no hint of pink and juices should run clear.
Use a meat thermometer to assure proper temperature: Beef, lamb and pork should be cooked to 160 degrees F (71 degrees C); whole poultry and thighs to 180 degrees F (82 degrees C); chicken breasts to 170 degrees F (77 degrees C).
Cook fish until opaque and flaky.
Cook reheated foods to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Food should be steaming.
Cook soups, sauces and gravies to boiling when reheating.
If microwaving food, make sure there are no cold spots.
Serve hot foods as quickly as possible.
More food safety
Cook eggs until the yolk is hardened and the white is solid.
Don't make recipes that leave eggs uncooked.
Follow proper guidelines if canning at home.
Throw away canned foods that bulge.
Throw away foods that have out-lived their expiration date.
Don't taste foods you are preparing if they contain raw eggs,such as cookie dough.
Avoid raw or unpasteurized milk and milk products.
Wash all fruits and vegetables thoroughly before eating.
Encourage family members to wash hands thoroughly before eating or handling food.

Last updated May 26, 2005

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:05 pm

Poltroon submitted this. Thx.
Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:56 am

When I had active c diff and was on the meds, it was so hard to eat. Everything tasted bad, putting anything in my mouth was just really not what I wanted to do. When I tell this to people I describe having to force myself to eat a chocolate chip cookie. Now healed, I cannot imagine the sensation any more, of looking at a chocolate chip cookie, knowing it was 100 calories of delicious goodness that I wanted to consume, and having to force myself to chew up and swallow each bite until it was gone. I remember the story, and I hardly believe such a thing was possible.

That said, I learned later (not from the GI doc) that chocolate chip cookies were probably not what I should eat anyway. ;)

As I went through all of this, it shocked me how little interest my doc had in nutrition. Here he was, a GI doc - how can that not be about food? - and he had no advice about what I should eat, and could not/would not refer me to anyone who would help me. "Eat what you want," he said. Swell. I didn't want to eat anything.

My family and I remembered BRAT, but when we looked it up, our sources said it was no longer recommended per se. We thought of Gatorade and then realized it had hardly any potassium and lots of sugar. (Watermelon, it turns out, is a better source of potassium, and has other nutrition besides.)

I ended up finding a dietician, who was experienced with c. diff cases and had helped several people with it. She stressed the importance of nutrition - not just to get the calories I needed, but also to make sure I got the nutrients and building blocks I needed to reacidify my system and to heal the intestinal lining. I also needed to avoid fiber. So she made two lists - foods I should actively try to incorporate for various nutrients and fatty acids, like avocado, chicken breast, salmon, other non-mercury fish, rice, (omega-3) eggs, apples, almond butter, certain other fruits and vegetables - and foods I should actively avoid: milk, fatty foods, whole grains, beans, high fructose corn syrup, trans-fats, sugar. She had me use expeller-pressed oils, since they retain the fatty acids, while the cheapest oils are heated in processing which destroys the fatty acids. She also suggested I try to go wheat-free, and I did that. She also put me on various vitamin supplements, like glutamine and a sublingual B-12, as well as various others, and of course probiotics. She felt that powdered supplements were a better choice than a capsule, given that my system might not have the right conditions to properly dissolve capsules and that a pill sitting on injured tissue might also irritate it. I mixed the powders in applesauce.

And we worked with the list of good and OK foods and made up a menu. It seems simple enough, but I really needed that extra handholding, since nothing sounded good and I was so strung out that I could not think clearly to make decisions, even about something so simple as food. (Malnutrition really wrecks the thinking process. During my illness it became clear to me why places like Africa are such a mess.)

She turned me on to foods that I still eat, like cheese and apple slices (with the apples replacing crackers), when we reintroduced cheese. And I had never cooked fish for myself before that, either. Some of the foods she suggested, like yogurt, turned out to be things I couldn't tolerate after all, so we adapted. I found the whole wheat-free/dairy-free cooking community, and found a wonderful vegan/wheat free pumpkin pie recipe that I took to thanksgiving that year and still make.

Keeping a food diary really helped me make sure I was getting enough calories (I was also breastfeeding) and made it easier to see if I was getting what I needed. Having someone tell me what to eat lessened my anxiety and helped me go forward. She was able to give me the confidence that I would get well, but that it would be gradual and take time.

My experience suggests to me that with c-diff that it is important to follow two complementary strategies: medication to kill the active infection, and careful nutrition to rebuild the health of the GI tract. It's just like farming: if your land is the wrong pH and is bare and doesn't have the right nutrients, the weeds will grow back no matter how hard you've worked to eliminate the weed seeds or how many chemicals you spray. On the other hand, grow a cover crop and get the conditions right, and the weeds will be choked out by the crop, no matter how many weed seeds there are.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 17, 2006 10:59 am

Knitter submitted this. Thx.Knitter

Posted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:30 am Post subject: Banana Smoothie Recipe!

I found this to be the best recipe to hide the taste of the Bio-K+ and still be enjoyable (I am not a yogurt lover so didn't like the taste of the Bio-K+). This takes just like a banana milk shake with the added advantage of ingesting your potassium as well as your probiotic. Also, this doesn't cost a lot like the prepared frozen smoothie mixes you can buy. Enjoy!!

Banana Smoothie

1 large ripe banana (cut into good sized slices)
3/4 cup lactose free 2% milk
1/2 bottle Bio-K+
4 ice cubes

Put all ingredients into blender. Blend for 30 seconds or until ice is crushed and ingredients are smooth. Serve immediately.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:01 am

Mugyver contributed this info. Thx.

Post subject: The wonders of the organic section of my Giant Food store

I went shopping the other day as I started to get sick of my diet and figured theres got to be something I can eat thats got a bit more flavor.

and there it is stairing me in the face.

THE ORGANIC SECTION. Nothing but organic foods (no antibiotics or steroid enhancements, no genetically altered foods or evil chemicals) and alternative products.

For example, thats where the Kefir was being held hostage as I've been looking for it for some time. While looking at the kefir, I realized I'm not lactose intolerant, but dairy sometimes doesn't agree with me. So I usually look for rice dream or some soy brand (I prefer rice dream cause its not as thick as most soy drinks, and I just like rice alot.) Anyway, I found something called Silk Live!. Its basically like kefir only soy based which could help out those of you that are either vegetarians, vegans, or just not good with dairy. Theres also a few other brands there to.

Then I realized I love cheese (well I didn't just realize it, but I got ideas) and there it was a cheese alternative, both white american and cheddar. Made with tofu. Maybe not the best tasting as compaired to cheese, but the cheddar kind actually melts (I thought it was funny cause it said "IT EVEN MELTS!" really big on the side)

But theres also goats milk/cheese etc.

Cream cheese is also substituted here by a tofu based brand called tofuti.

Then I decided I didn't want to continue eating kellogs special K cereal, don't get me wrong, I love the taste, but after 4 boxes in one week I was sick of it.

I found a brand called Puffin honey rice.

100% organic

wheat free

gluten free

No refined sugars

no artificial flavors or colors or preservatives

And it tastes great.

This stuff can be a bit more expensive than the usual brands, but it makes me feel better knowing that I have more choices that are close to my original tastes.

BTW I find that ground turkey is a great hamburger meat replacement.

I have been working with new ideas in the kitchen because I love food and was so afraid to lose my ability to cook for myself as well as family the way I used to.

But try this out its great, filling, cheap, quick, and easy top digest I think.

1/2lb ground turkey

1-2 packages of instant mashed potatoes (feel free to make your own, I usually do)

1 can sweet peas

salt, pepper

First, make the mashed potatoes. While making the mashed potatoes, cook the ground turkey in a frying pan on the stove. Whilethis is going on, empty the can of peas into a microwave safe container (do not drain peas), cover and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.

Once the potatoes are done, remove from heat. Once the turkey is done, add it to the potatoes and mix well. Once the peas are done, drain them and then add about 3/4 to the potatoes and turkey (usually the whole can is to much, but I don't like to waste them and I just pour them into my mouth as a snack later).

Mix everything well and add salt and pepper to taste. The make it creamier, you can add water or milk/milk alternative.

This stuff is awesome and fast and is even great cold, as a side, as a stuffing, or I've even thought of putting a crust under it and on top like some sort of turkey pot pie.

Another Idea is to swap the peas with actual stuffing.

Anyway, the organic section is great and offers many alternatives to dairy products and offers the safest/tastiest juices and teas and rice products.

Bobbie
Administrator

Explanation of sugar/dairy products

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 26, 2008 2:51 am

Allison provided this info.

Yep it's a fact that cdiff loves sugar, but here's the caveat: all bacterias love sugar, including the good guys that you are trying to get established in your colon.

Every cell in your body needs nutrition, and that's why it's important to maintain as optimal a diet as possible... with as much variety and balance as can be tolerated. That enhances "good" bacteria building, which aids recovery.

The reason high fat and high sugar foods are avoided (at least at first), is because they are harder on your GI tract, and can often cause troubles (nausea, gas, bloating, some D). They do not make cdiff "worse" clinically, though some folks can easily feel worse by eating them.

If your infection is still acute, bland is usually better tolerated for awhile, but if any food or drink doesn't cause trouble, there is no good reason to avoid them. Even dairy is not a no-no IF it's tolerated. Not everyone becomes lactose-intolerant from cdiff. Because so many do, though, docs often recommend staying away.

Bobbie
Administrator

Breakint the Vicious Cycle

Postby Bobbie » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:55 pm

One of our posters, Donna, supplied this info.

[i]Has anyone here tried the diet in the book " Breaking the vicious cycle"? It's a very strict diet for those who suffer from intestinal diseases, from crohn's to chronic D. A friend of mine who has crohn's gave me the book to try and get my system back to normal.[/i]

Return to “CDI - C. diff. Info. All You Want to Know and More”