Nutrition -- Includes Recipes

Organized Answers to Frequently Asked Questions. Only Moderators may post here.
Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Nutrition -- Includes Recipes

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:16 pm

book about diet for ic and ibs.

Successful home administered FT

by AJmicro » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:57 am

Dr. Khoruts pointed me to the IBS free at last FODMAPS elimination diet, "Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols"

There are a few different books using the FODMAPs diet, I used this one: http://www.ibsfree.net/

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:10 pm

Gut Flora Post

by natalyjac » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Hello!
I was reading around about gut flora (wow, if my 20 year old self could have seen what I would be reading in 24 years, she would be quite depressed I am sure!) and I stumbled across a website with a lot of great info on gut flora.

This 'post' was written by a doctor, but what is interesting is the comments that people leave after the article itself. People have shared their own situations, and the author, who is a doctor, gives his 2 cents on each situation.

There is something for everyone in this article. He writes about SIBO, fat absorption, and a million other things throughout the comments.

Thought I would share in case you see your own situation in there, and can possible get new ideas.

http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com ... rance.html

Kris

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:28 pm

Breakfast Drink

6 bananas
l carton (32 oz.) soymilk
3 C. frozen blueberries.

Mix together in blender and blend. Makes a large quantity so reduce quantities for smaller amount.

Bananas are usually easy to digest (are one of the BRAT foods) & contain a lot of potassium.

Another liquid can be substituted for the soy milk - rice milk, fruit juice (grape, strawberry, orange or pineapple juice if tolerated)

Another fruit (like strawberries) can be substituted for blueberries (contain antioxidants). Some have difficulties tolerating fresh fruits/ juice.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:09 pm

by Sable » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:31 am

Poached Chicken and Rice

chicken broth or bullion
skinless chicken thighs
onion
brown rice
frozen green beans (although I used canned)
Cumin (if you like it)
Tumeric (if you like it)
or use spices that you prefer
(amounts of everything depends on how many people you're cooking for)

Put the broth in a large skillet
along with chopped onions (or shallots/leeks) to taste
Bring the broth to a boil
put in the chicken thighs and let them cook, turning them over once, for about 3 minutes
Put in the rice, tumeric and cumin and cover.
When the rice is 1/2 done put in the veggies

when the rice is done, serve.

Bobbie
Administrator

FODMAP Diet

Postby Bobbie » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:09 pm

by mfasules » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:54 pm

After reading about all the digestive and food issues that many of you have and are havingpost infection, I wanted to share a resource that might be helpful to some of you. I haven't, so far, seen it posted here.

It is called the FODMAP diet. It is an acronym for many long words that basically refer the fructose contents of foods. One can easily google and learn more. I discovered it when the Wall Street Journal published an article about it. It certaily gives validation to many of the experiences that many of you have shared here.

As with any diet, it is only a guideline that needs be tweeked to one's specific symtoms and GI issues. Works for some, not for others. Originated in Australia and is being used by the GI dept at the Univ of Michigan with a 65%+ success rate.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:44 pm

One of our newer poster, ncmimi4, just had a FMT. here is one of her later posts.

Postby ncmimi4 » Sun Mar 02, 2014

I have done so well since the FT that I have not been on here for a while. It has been 2 months and I have been following the no gluten no dairy diet that the Dr. recommended but thought I would try Lactaid milk instead of rice milk. Had about 3 ounces and a splash in my tea. BIG mistake, major gas and BM and numerous trips to the bathroom convinced me that NO dairy except butter will remain the rule. He told me it can take a long time for the colon to heal after months of cd. It is much easier to eliminate gluten for me since so many gluten free products are out there. I make rice crispy bars and eat rice chex cereal with rice milk and bananas and rice cakes with smooth peanut butter for breakfast. Homemade chicken vege soup and tuna, egg, chicken salad on UDI brand gluten free rolls. Apples with peanut butter for snacks. Lots of baked potatoes and cooked veges and all meats. I scrape all coatings off anything fried with flour crust.
Last edited by Bobbie on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updating

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:36 am

Christos Greek Lemon Egg Soup

viewtopic.php?p=116427#p116427

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Nutrition -- Includes Recipes - Mrs. M

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:40 pm

O2-03-18 Mrs. M - Ashley

Hello! I’m a month out from my FMT and I have really struggled to eat well and get the nutrients I need all while suffering from PI-IBS, so, I just wanted to share this recipe I’ve been using which has a lot of good stuff in it but it seems to sit well with me. I thought others might like to try it and see how it works for them. Didn’t know how to submit to the nutrition and recipes section. Only thing I do different is I leave the onions out and add a little onion powder instead. I have trouble digesting onions right now. Thanks!

Recipe Low Fat Turkey in the Garden MeatLoaf
Sent: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:13 pm
Recipient: Bobbie

READY IN: 1hr 20mins SERVES: 8
UNITS: US
INGREDIENTS Nutrition
1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey or 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed,drained
1 cup quick oats or 1 cup old fashioned oats, uncooked
1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
1⁄3 cup nonfat milk
2 egg whites or 1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1⁄2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper

DIRECTIONS
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine in a large mixing bowl the turkey or beef, the spinach, which has been squeezed to drain, the oats, onion, carrots, egg, milk, herbs (mixture of oregano, basil and thyme), salt and pepper.
Use a three-tined kitchen granny fork or wooden mixing fork to blend the meat ingredients.
Pat into a 9x5-inch loaf pan that has been sprayed with a no-stick oil product, or shape into a loaf and place in the middle of a 13x9-inch baking pan.
Bake 1 hour or until a thermometer registers 170 degrees and the center is no longer pink.
If substituting beef for turkey, bake 50 to 55 minutes and thermometer should register 160 degrees internal temperature (tip not touching baking dish).
Let loaf stand out of the oven for 5 minutes before slicing.

Can substitute soy or almond milk if lactose intolerant. Cut back on onions if onions upset your stomach.

Return to “CDI - C. diff. Info. All You Want to Know and More”