Probiotics, Prebiotics, and Florastor

Organized Answers to Frequently Asked Questions. Only Moderators may post here.
Bobbie
Administrator

Probiotics, Prebiotics, and Florastor

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:10 pm

Prebiotics: There is information on the Mayo site and other medical sites plus the book "Bacteria for Breakfast." (See info. on it in "Articles Written by Experts.")

Apples are one example of a prebiotic- especially the skins. Remember the saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away. I think I'll eat an apple!

A pharmacologist told me years ago to take probiotics with bottled - not tap water- because the chlorine in tap water might kill some of the good bacteria in the probiotics. Almost all authorities advice spacing C. diff. medications and probiotics as far apart as possible because the antibiotics can kill some of the good bacteria.

One probiotic, primadolphilus reuteri, helped several of our posters regain their appetites. Check Whole Foods or other health food stores or try online.

NOTE:
Re: Daughter losing weight/waiting for FMT

Postby dawn813 » Tue Jul 22, 2014

Yes I have heard Primadolphilus Reuteri has helped alot of people. I found mine on Walgreens.com. I got the Reuteri pearls which do not need refrigeration. Hope this info helps your daughter.
Last edited by Bobbie on Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: updating

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Probiotics and Prebiotics

Postby Bobbie » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Probiotics are "might help, can't hurt." Some "swear" by them. They don't do much for others. Remember, all these companies are "selling" and many make unsubstantiated claims. Since probiotics are supplements and not regulated by the FDA, there is little supervision.
BUYER BEWARE. Do your own research. If it sounds "too good to be true," it probably is.

Bea sent me some information about prebiotics and probiotics. Thx., Bea.

Hi Bobbie,
Ran across this article about why an apple a day keeps the doctor away.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 213138.htm

Thought you might want to add it to your post about prebiotics and probiotics in CDI.

You might also be interested in this article: What are fructooligosaccharides and how do they provide digestive, immunity and bone health benefits?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 115728.htm

Although it's probably better to get one's fructooligosaccharides from foods, for those that just can't get all they need from dietary sources there are supplements available. I use one from Swanson Vitamins. Here's the link to it:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson- ... 0-veg-caps.

NOTE: There are many varieties of probiotics now. A few that have been around a long time are VSL3, Culturelle, and Bacid. If you want to take a probiotic, do some research.

If you are still on C. diff. meds. and take probiotics, space the two as far apart as you can because the meds. will kill some of the good bacteria. A pharmacologist told me to take probiotics with bottled - not tap - water because the chlorine in tap water can also kill some of the good bacteria.

Yogurt and kefir also supply good bacteria.

Clostridium Butyricum

Postby Bobbie » Tue Mar 27, 2012

JKK posted the following info. Thanks.

Some Background:
Onsel has conducted two phase II clinical trials in the US. The first trial was terminated from lack of enrollment (sad to hear), and the second trial just finished late last year. Not sure why this probiotic needs FDA approval as it could be marketed in the US as an OTC dietary supplement to help intestinal regulation, soft stools, constipation, and abdominal bloating (translated as abdominal distention) as indicated on its packaging.

It has been used for years in Japan for antibiotic associated diarrhea, as a C Diff prophylatic in antibiotic use, and to curb C Diff infections along with vancomycin. The friendly Clostridium interferes with C Diff growth and I was told it also binds the toxins. It is marketed there by Miyairisan in various products including OTC formulations and is available on Kenko.com through its international shipping affiliate Tenso. Mine came from a japanese licensed pharmacist who is a relative living in both countries. They contacted the company and said it is fine to take it with vanco and that I should notice a difference within a few days to a few weeks. They also said it does not past through breastmilk, so it should be fine for brestfeeding. Oddly, the US clinical trials excluded brestfeeding women, but in China, it has been studied for use in neonates to control breastmilk jaundice.

To start, I am to take three tablets after each meal three times a day. 270mg of C. butyricum Miyairi powder is in each days worth (9) of tablets (The "Strength Miyairisan tablets 330tablets" on Kenko has an image of the matching box.) I am going to start with one tablet after each meal for day, then two, the three.

NOTE: This is the probiotic listed in Dr. Borody's article.

One of our former posters wrote a book about probiotics. She is a pharmacist and a pharmacologist. See "Articles Written by Experts" - Dr. Kelly Karpa, "Bacteria for Breakfast."

There is more information on probiotics in "Treatments."

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Probiotics, Prebiotics, and Florastor

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:32 am

Florastor

Postby Bobbie » Mon Nov 28, 2005

Kayla and Chrsitina posted this.

kayla
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 Here is dosing information for Florastor for everyone

I just got off the phone with the Florastor pharmacist, Martin, and he said for treating c-diff it is recommended to take Florastor 2 pills in the morning and 2 in the evening, so 4 total, along with metro or vanco and at least two weeks after finishing metro or vanco.

christina
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005

I got this same information from Dr. Kelly in Boston so it's sounds reliable.

I am to take four per day @ 250mg each. He did say to start taking in the last two weeks of tapering.When you are down to one every three days. It's quite expensive.I just paid $195 for the supply I'm going to need.

Bobbie
Administrator

Florastor

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:36 am

Florastor is a yeast, not a probiotic, so Flagyl, Vanco, Dificid will not kill it. You do not have to "space it" as you do with probiotics.

It was originally called S. boulardii & was an OTC (over the counter) med. used in some countries in Europe (mainly France) to treat diarrhea. I was on a blind study for it in the 90's and then on compassionate usage for two years. I had to travel to the U. of Michigan Medical Center to enroll in the study and undergo an exam by Dr. Robert Fekety, the head of the Dept. of Infectious Diseases, and one of his GI's. Dr. Fekety was one of the pioneers in early C. diff. study. The day after I returned, Dr. Fekety called me at work. He said, "You know the papers you signed? What did I do with them? My nurse is gone, and I don't know what I've done with them." He retired, and I believe he died years ago. Sweet man - he reminded me of "Doc" in "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." I truly believed Florastor was "my answer." (I'd already sought local help and been to Mayo.) It was not.

Five doctors in the US participated in the Florastor study. I had to keep a journal recording all food/bathroom/everything information. Florastor neither helped me or harmed me. I believe it did not have potential the doctors hoped it would. It has helped others. Dr. Fekety told me when the doctors and their spouses went to Paris for the big "kick off" of the drug, they all got diarrhea! I found this hysterical.

For more info. on Florastor contact Biocodex - manufacturers. See http://www.florastor.com (they have a "contact us" section and an FAQ section).

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Probiotics, Prebiotics, and Florastor

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:13 pm

"Probiotic Logic vs. Gut Feelings" (NY Times)

Postby AllisS » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:43 pm

"Probiotic Logic vs. Gut Feelings" (NY Times)

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/2 ... blogs&_r=0

Interesting short piece by veteran medical columnist Jane Brody. Also check out 200+ reader comments at end.

Return to “CDI - C. diff. Info. All You Want to Know and More”