FMT while gluten intolerant

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
CorinneD
New User

FMT while gluten intolerant

Postby CorinneD » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:29 am

Hello everyone,

I have a c. diff. infection not responding to antibiotics (vancomycin and fidaxomicin, aka Dificlir or Dificid), so my doctor has advised an FMT. I also have celiac disease, which means gluten intolerance - when I ingest even very small amounts of gluten, an inflammatory process starts in my small bowel, which can take months to resolve. Seeing that stool donors are anonymous and in good health, I doubt their diet would not include gluten and that it would not be found in their stool (gluten is not normally digested, it even passes in mother's milk). Bottomline is I am afraid I will have a bad reaction to the gluten in the donor's stool.

I was wondering if any of you who have had an FMT were also celiac or gluten sensitive at the time of the procedure. If yes, what route did your doctors use, upper, lower? How did you react? Any side effects? Did it work on the c. diff.?

Input from people with other food intolerances and even allergies would be more than welcome.

Thank you so much in advance.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT while gluten intolerant

Postby NanciT » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:13 pm

Sorry for the lack of response. Posters are here often while going through this illness and then we may hear from them again if they get CDIFF again.

Your GI should be able to help you with these questions, I don't recall seeing a poster asking about gluten free and FMT

Wishing you the best

NanciT

Return to “FMT Discussion”