7 Days post FMT and feeling terrible

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
MissyM
New User

7 Days post FMT and feeling terrible

Postby MissyM » Tue May 31, 2022 10:56 am

I had a colonoscopy FMT 7 days ago and I have been losing ground. The first day I felt pretty normal, but ever since then I have been going downhill. I have had D every day at least once and at least 4 BMs a day. I also have now added spasms and cramping and urgency. Yesterday as soon as I ate some oatmeal I had to go to the bathroom. Today, even thinking about food starts cramping I get nauseous drinking water. I can't understand what is happening, this is as bad as my worst day with c-diff. I can't leave the house anymore and I am mentally breaking down.

roy
Administrator

Re: 7 Days post FMT and feeling terrible

Postby roy » Tue May 31, 2022 11:32 am

Watery D 3x or more a day for 3 days in a row indicates a relapse but 1 D and 3 formed is typical of recovery even if you still test positive.
I hope you were not treated as relapsing if that was happening after treatment.
FMT is not an instant cure for most so give it time.
It takes weeks/months for the newly seeded bacteria to grow and mature.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:02 am

There are other posters who had similar experiences after FMT. I found that I could no longer eat certain foods. I don't think it was the FMT, but rather the c diff and all the long months of taking vanco. However, when I would eat vegetables, dairy, and anything with fiber, I got what you describe. I limited my diet and the D stopped and then I slowly began to add foods. It took a long time. I would tell doctor who did your FMT though and see what he/she says.

MissyM
New User

Postby MissyM » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:44 pm

roy wrote:
> Watery D 3x or more a day for 3 days in a row indicates a relapse but 1 D
> and 3 formed is typical of recovery even if you still test positive.
> I hope you were not treated as relapsing if that was happening after
> treatment.
> FMT is not an instant cure for most so give it time.
> It takes weeks/months for the newly seeded bacteria to grow and mature.

Thanks, that is good information and gives me hope. I put a call in to the doctor yesterday just in case but no response still.

MissyM
New User

Postby MissyM » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:51 pm

beth22 wrote:
> There are other posters who had similar experiences after FMT. I found
> that I could no longer eat certain foods. I don't think it was the FMT,
> but rather the c diff and all the long months of taking vanco. However,
> when I would eat vegetables, dairy, and anything with fiber, I got what you
> describe. I limited my diet and the D stopped and then I slowly began to
> add foods. It took a long time. I would tell doctor who did your FMT
> though and see what he/she says.

Thanks Beth, I am trying to keep myself from overreacting (that can cause a whole other set of issues for me). I had strictly BRAT yesterday and then added 1 oz of protein today (boiled chicken) along with a 1/4 c yogurt. So fatigued! No D today, but loose. This disease makes a person so fearful! Called DR, no call back but I did get an appointment with a dietician. I was wondering, are there any posts that address people who have had FMT AND are on H2 blockers? I looked around but didn't find any. Thanks for your help.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:08 pm

I’ve recently been put on H2 blockers after resisting for ten months due to The Fear. I’m not sure they’re helping enough for me to want to stay on them. I’m worried the longer I take them, the greater the risk. Are you thinking they might be making your situ worse?

It took me quite a while to settle into a pattern with BMs so keep going with the bland food and hopefully things will start to improve.
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

Return to “FMT Discussion”