FMT Scheduled in two weeks and I am scared

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
jackie24
Regular User

FMT Scheduled in two weeks and I am scared

Postby jackie24 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:48 pm

I have an FMT scheduled in two weeks amd I am scared to death after reading some of the posts on this subject. The GI said even though I tested negative on Feb 3rd he thinks it’s still a good idea to go ahead and have the FMT done. I have been on one Vanco a day to keep any symptoms at bay and to keep from Cdiff coming back. I have good days and bad days with today being a bad one with severe abdomen pain and urgent mushy BM’s. If I went ahead with the FMT would I be doing more harm than good?

Jackie24

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT Scheduled in two weeks and I am scared

Postby beth22 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:17 am

I had more than one FMT and I don't regret doing it. When I tried to taper on vanco, it did not work for me. FMT was the only thing that helped and given the same circumstances, I would do it again.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:55 pm

I second Beth.
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:04 pm

Did either one of you get sick from it? Did you have a hard time controlling your bowels after the procedure? Did you take Imodium before and after? Sorry so many question but just nervous.

jG43
Contributor

Postby jG43 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:07 am

I was right where you are 3 years ago. I was very anxious about the fmt I was scheduled for. I had it done at my local hospital by colonoscopy. I was a healthy 43 year old male who contracted cdiff after taking clindamycin. I took dificid up until a couple of days before the procedure. The fmt was a breeze. The worst part was doing the prep for the colonoscopy the night before. My gi did not have me take any Imodium. He said once the fmt is done it will populate the gut rather quickly. I tried to hold it but I had to got to the bathroom in the recovery hospital room about an hour after the procedure. I was a little worn out just from the colonoscopy prep and being in the hospital but I was back at work on the 2nd day after the procedure. I did not feel sick at all after the fmt. In fact I felt pretty good and relieved to have it done. I had some ups and downs for the next few months but I generally felt back to normal. I was careful with my diet and eased back into eating certain foods over the next 6 months. After about a year I really could eat most anything I could before the procedure. The hardest part for me was the mental toll it took. For quite some time I had bad anxiety whenever I had stomach issues after my fmt. You will likely have bad days after your fmt. However the success rate is very high. I followed the 3 day rules talked about on this site. The fmt procedure gave me my life back and I do not regret having it done. I have a wonderful GI who told me of how the fmt procedure is very safe. The process for checking donor stool is very rigorous and fmts have been going on for several years now. He had one patient in her 70s who was very sick from cdiff and was in very bad shape. The fmt saved her life. Good luck to you.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:22 pm

I did take imodium before the procedure (the morning of) and more right after. I could not hold all of it if I remember correctly and yes, I did have IBS afterwards, but when I had been taking vanco and then would stop, I had even worse IBS until I would relapse again. This prevented the relapse. I had been on vanco so long and had so many relapses, that it did take quite a while for things to settle down. I found that I could not eat a lot of foods that I could before I had c difficle. Everyone is different, but if I had to do it agian, I would, as nothing else got rid of the c difficile.

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:24 am

Thank y’all so much for the encouraging success stories!!I only pray this will give me my life back. Not looking forward to the prep because that’s what my anxiety is based on going to the bathroom on myself in public so I hope that don’t happen. As my husband always tells me I have to have faith and I have been told I have the best doctor.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:26 pm

When your doing the prep you stay within 6 foot of a toilet!
Lots of loo roll, decent barrier cream and a peg for your nose!

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:55 pm

Gotcha Roy!!

Claudia8
New User

Postby Claudia8 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:28 pm

Hello! Curious to get an update of how your procedure went and how you are feeling. Hoping for the best!

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:50 pm

My procedure went well however the prep made me think I was going to die!! It’s been a week since the FMT and I feel the same maybe worse than I did before it. My abdomen pain wakes me up in the middle of the night and I have about 3 solid BM’s before noon and spend the rest of the day with stomach gurgling and feeling like I have to go to the bathroom but I don’t. They were supposed to call me today for my one week checkup but I havent heard anything as of yet. The first four days after the FMT I was constipated but felt great. The minute the bowel movements come back it went downhill from there. I have been trying to add probiotic yogurt and more veggies and fruits into my diet via smoothies and that could be some of the problem too.

Claudia8
New User

Postby Claudia8 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:55 pm

I’m sorry to hear that you’re still struggling but hopefully this is the worst of it and it’ll get better with each passing day. I am waiting to hear back if & when I can get an FMT since I’ve had 4 relapses since Oct. Staying hopeful for you and everyone debilitated by this demon bacteria.

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:08 pm

Thanks Claudia8! I hope you can get your FMT soon and that it helps you! I pray that I can get better quickly as well!

Jackie24

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:03 am

Jackie24 - I had problems with foods after FMT too - especially fruits and vegetables.

jackie24
Regular User

Postby jackie24 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:46 pm

Beth22 - I changed almond butter brands and added Ed blueberries today and I am in a ton of pain! I have lost 83 pounds so far and I don’t know if I can lose anymore!

Return to “FMT Discussion”