Does FMT Graft?

If you have had or are considering an FMT please share your experiences here.
GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Does FMT Graft?

Postby GtrGrl » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:51 am

Consultant (not the one who performed the FMT, and at a different hospital) says not, and that I have stopped feeling as well as I did for a few weeks post-procedure (understatement: I feel dreadful, with multiple symptoms and raised calprotectin) is because someone else’s bacteria doesn’t graft and I need time to re-grow my own. I am not convinced this is the case and that it’s just somehow ‘worn off’, leading me to being this unwell. Does anyone have experience/actual knowledge on this, please?
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Does FMT Graft?

Postby beth22 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:36 pm

I am not sure what you mean by "graft", but that is a question for a microbiologist or a doctor. I have not read anything about it.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:46 pm

FMT seeds the gut with natural bacteria.
That seeding grows and populates the gut.
We all pick up "extra" gut flora daily and over time our gut flora changes but usualy it changes slowly and not by much.
A year after FMT the majority of your gut flora will be very similar to what was implanted.
it used to be considered best to use FMT material from a close relative or spouse because by living together you exchanged bacteria often and shared a similar gut flora, that made sense.
Now most FMT material is from a bank and can be vastly different to YOUR normal so its not surprising it can take a very long time for your gut to adjust to and accept its new "normal" flora.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:43 am

Thank you, Roy. My theory is it got overwhelmed by candida overgrowth whilst it was still bedding in (I have reasons/symptoms to think that) and now I have all kinds of issues, whereas in the first weeks post-FMT I had none — literally none. So now I don’t think it will have a chance to continue growing effectively unless that’s dealt with (and the consultant doesn’t believe in it so won’t treat). Concerned this is allowing the C Diff to start proliferating again too, as markers show intestinal inflammation. (Doc said C Diff doesn’t stay in system after treatment but I believe that to be incorrect?)

Various studies have found a strong correlation between candida and C Diff, esp. after vancomycin.

Anyway, thanks again, I think from what you have said he is incorrect in saying it doesn’t ‘stick’. I keep thinking I might do another one DIY!

Steffi
Contributor

Postby Steffi » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:38 am

Roy, great post with very useful info like always! Thank you so much!
GtrGrl, honestly, I really don't think that Candida could cause serious problems, but of course, this is only my opinion, the doctors always have the final statement. Did they test you for helicobacter pylori?

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:36 am

Hi Steffi, yes they agreed to run that test. I have to wait a few days for the results and will take things from there.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:41 am

Are you still in hospital?

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:51 pm

No, they discharged me last night despite symptoms running riot.

Return to “FMT Discussion”